Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 05:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 348,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
All I know is that NYC *can* be the cheapest place to live that's why ask any migrant. They rather come here than being offered free shelter anywhere else.

We give the poor:

- Free healthcare
- Free food, WIC programs
- Free transportation, majority of those living in the boros like Bx, Bk never pay to take the bus or subway. Even when they are caught for fare evasion. It's a summon given with a fake name
- Free shelter, affordable apt based on ability to pay. Once you win a lottery apt as long as you don't commit a crime you can show that you tried looking for work but can't find then it is paid for.

No other city in the world has this amount of free amenities at a 1st world setting as NYC. Try going to any other city and see how expensive it can get and they don't feed the poor the way that NYC does just to buy votes
The poster knows all this but they’re clearly justifying it via *capitalism is bad*, *what do you want people to do otherwise*, etc.

My guess is they benefit from the system but they know openly admitting they want more welfare is shameful. This has been the woke narrative for some time now. Couch welfare in all sorts of social justice speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 05:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 348,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The “Right to Shelter” should be a cot in a warehouse and adequate pissers/showers. That’s it. What’s happening now is a transfer of money to ensure a large crop of babies who they hope become a block of blue voters.
The right to shelter should also come with responsibility. Plenty of work to be done in the city. Cleaning streets, painting over graffiti, etc.

Everything in this world is built on someone’s labor. Things don’t magically appear or get done. Lots of people in NYC seem to believe otherwise.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:58 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you're not making money, why bother existing

There should be a way to determine via ultrasound how much potential earning the baby can make when fully matured, this way we won't waste anybody's time
Those are your bizarre words, certainly not mine. I said if you are not able to raise your own children, how can you demand that someone else must raise them? How can you say with a straight face that it's your human right to force someone else to feed and house as many kids as you like to produce?

It is not a matter of "making money", but of being able to do something for other people, and exchange it for something that other people can do for you. Money is only a way of ensuring equivalent exchange between people - it is only a receipt of transactions between people.

Yes, I think it is tragic to exist without being capable of offering anything to other people, ie, only being capable of taking from the others. But if you are that way, then at least don't exploit people on which you depend, with endless claims on their earnings, claiming that it is somehow your human right to take as much as you possibly can from what someone else has earned with their work!

Old 03-15-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Of course it is, how do you think the Native Americans were able to survive here? It's arable land that is also an island, which makes it so expensive. Remember, people were willing to pay for it (albeit not its true worth) back in 1624.
Do me a favor, and look up "arable" in a dictionary (the third Latin-rooted word you used in this conversation of which you appear not to know the meaning :-). Arable land is a land suitable for ploughing, ie, raising crops by way of ploughing (arare means "to plough" in Latin). The Lenape were able to survive in Manhattan by ploughing the land? They were familiar with a plough?

Historically, after arrival of the Europeans, there were farms in Manhattan, so I assume there was arable (ie, ploughable) land in Manhattan too - but nobody has been ploughing in Manhattan for a very long time, and a paved-over land is certainly not arable. Manhattan in the 20th and 21st century has been very expensive for various reasons, but surely not because of being arable :-). Fifth Av between the 60th and 86th St is certainly NOT arable!

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-15-2024 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, charge your phone and come back later if you want
I hope people read our discussion to see why capitalism is immoral and rephrensible
You want to put people on reservations and spend tons of taxpayer money to do so
While claiming taxes are being spent wrong now
And on top of that, low IQ people can't earn money so they're no good
Just throw them away
All your great ideas.
Dude, be grateful that this is an anonymous forum, or I would take you into the court for slandering me.

Nothing in this discussion shows "why capitalism is immoral and reprehensible" (which, btw, capitalism isn't). Without capitalism which generates taxable high revenues, who do you think would be paying for your welfare?

I want to put people on reservations? NO. Live wherever you want to live, as long as you pay for it. But if you are asking me to pay for the place where you live, I don't want to pay for it in the most expensive areas. It is ridiculous to argue that a "ton of taxpayer money" would be required for free housing in an inexpensive area, while somehow much less is required for free housing in a very expensive area :-).

True, people with low IQ often cannot earn money because they often cannot perform the tasks that even low-paid jobs require. But I never said that people with low IQ are "no good" or to "just throw them away". Seriously, just STOP lying that I said something I didn't! Do you really entirely lack any reading comprehension, or are you lying intentionally, or some combination of both?

People with low IQ can be good or can be bad, like anyone else. But they are not helpful or useful to anyone if they can't do anything for anyone (including for themselves). If they could, they wouldn't need other people to provide for them through welfare. But that certainly does not mean that people with low IQ are "no good" or that I ever said "just throw them away"!

Every self-supporting American lives where he or she can afford to live. So why should people who can't afford to live anywhere (because they don't earn anything) demand to be housed for free in the areas that are most expensive and unaffordable to people who DO pay for their own housing? And then like a toddler in a tantrum proclaim hysterically that someone wants to "just throw them away" if someone mentions that taxpayers cannot reasonably afford to house welfare-dependent people in the most expensive places (such as Manhattan).

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-15-2024 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-15-2024, 10:05 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Tell us where this cheap publicly owned land exists

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Tell us where this cheap publicly owned land exists
More than a quarter of all land in the US is owned by the federal government (I don't know how much is additionally owned by the state governments), and I have every reason to believe that ALL of it is cheaper than Manhattan :-).

Old 03-15-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
More than a quarter of all land in the US is owned by the federal government (I don't know how much is additionally owned by the state governments), and I have every reason to believe that ALL of it is cheaper than Manhattan :-).
Are you familiar with the type of terrain shown in the map below? Most of it is uninhabitable.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:29 PM

You need to choose one of these countries, otherwise you'll never find peace:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...free-countries

Old 03-15-2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the type of terrain shown in the map below? Most of it is uninhabitable.
I am familiar with the type of terrain shown in the map below. All of it is on this planet, is not covered by an ocean, and is below 15,000 feet elevation ie, all of it is inhabitable. People are fighting for a small sliver of desert in the Middle East as we speak, because that sliver of desert was made inhabitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City