Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:23 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I took a bus from Brooklyn to Queens it was about 35mins during the day. Now taking a bus from brooklyn to other parts of brooklyn was just as long. The JFK bus from A/C train to JFK was about 25mins and it was just 5 miles.

I think distance wise the area is not far away but the traffic is a different problem. For subways, it shouldn't be that bad going from Brooklyn on the J/Z to Queens in 30mins then transfer to other lines is another 20-30mins to other areas.
That's because you guys prefer buses to sit in traffic rather than have a light rail system, transportation around NYC would flourish if we had it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 01:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 313,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's because you guys prefer buses to sit in traffic rather than have a light rail system, transportation around NYC would flourish if we had it
You really think people wouldn’t prefer better infrastructure? Do you realize how long it takes to do the simplest of infrastructure work in NYC? Cost is a separate issue.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:41 PM

1,265 posts, read 313,689 times
Quote:
I took a bus from Brooklyn to Queens it was about 35mins during the day. Now taking a bus from brooklyn to other parts of brooklyn was just as long. The JFK bus from A/C train to JFK was about 25mins and it was just 5 miles.

I think distance wise the area is not far away but the traffic is a different problem. For subways, it shouldn't be that bad going from Brooklyn on the J/Z to Queens in 30mins then transfer to other lines is another 20-30mins to other areas.
The MTA is wildly inconsistent. That 35 min ride one day could be 55 minutes another day. That’s one of the major drawbacks. If people can’t rely on mass transit to be reliable, what’s the point?

Old 03-21-2024, 01:50 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
You really think people wouldn’t prefer better infrastructure? Do you realize how long it takes to do the simplest of infrastructure work in NYC? Cost is a separate issue.
You'd be surprised how many people would vote for buses over light rail. You should start a poll.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-21-2024, 04:21 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
The MTA is wildly inconsistent. That 35 min ride one day could be 55 minutes another day. That’s one of the major drawbacks. If people can’t rely on mass transit to be reliable, what’s the point?
Bus lanes are supposed to fix that except now it's being mostly used as uber parking lane and wider bike path. Another major problem are the DOT's traffic light timing system is just so ridiculous. At night there's nobody walking and there should be better timed for cars than pedestrians. Yet at night the subways don't run as frequent.

So it is all planned that daytime congestion is by designed.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
When I say let's go get a drink at this spot in LIC. People tell me, that's too far for me. People who live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and even Bronx think Queens is too far??
Why? The same reason that some people in east midtown think the UWS is too far.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I never thought of this, but it could explain why in many areas of Manhattan you can cross a street or two and most of the people walking the sidewalk look different from one or two blocks before. Perhaps the high population density in Manhattan makes this possible. Heck, there are residential buildings in Manhattan that have populations in them that might be like a small town, especially if you include all residential buildings in one block.
When I was growing up in Brooklyn, one of the most stark representations to this effect was seen through the demographic differences between Nostrand Avenue and Kingston Avenue in Crown Heights. Only two blocks apart and both commercial avenues, Nostrand Avenue is predominately black, while Kingston Avenue is predominately Hassidic Jewish. You see something similar with Lee Avenue north of Flushing Avenue in Brooklyn, which turns into Nostrand Avenue once you cross Flushing. Lee Avenue is predominately Hassidic and feels like you stepped back into the 1950s, while Nostrand Avenue is predominately black.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:49 PM

785 posts, read 484,232 times
There's a mental wall that arises for many of us natives when we are asked to go hang out or visit another borough sometimes. Ex: I'm in NE Queens, 15 minutes over the bridge from The Bronx. I'd probably drive 2 hours out to LI before I'd bother going up to the bronx. It's a mental thing with the bridge.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:14 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
There's a mental wall that arises for many of us natives when we are asked to go hang out or visit another borough sometimes. Ex: I'm in NE Queens, 15 minutes over the bridge from The Bronx. I'd probably drive 2 hours out to LI before I'd bother going up to the bronx. It's a mental thing with the bridge.
How about metlife to see the Giants/Jets? How far do you think it takes from anywhere in NY? If you are a fan you will make the trip regardless.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:20 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
In general from my experience those who live in Manhattan expect those from the outer boroughs to come to them in Manhattan. They don't seem to like leaving Manhattan just to meet up somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City