Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:18 AM

133 posts, read 129,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickbait08 View Post
Heard these same facts. Old list dead. First Supv class sept (def not before next fiscal budget which is June) and that the sept class would be around 100 ppl give or take
I heard the opposite, that they want to squeeze a class in before the new Fiscal year FY25 which starts 7/1. Who knows, guess will see. Either way, I’m hearing list should be out sometime this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 01:05 PM

143 posts, read 225,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickbait08 View Post
Heard these same facts. Old list dead. First Supv class sept (def not before next fiscal budget which is June) and that the sept class would be around 100 ppl give or take
Yea heard this in the last union meeting . Since they got rid of span of control there is no need for a new supervisor class right now. But in September should be more retired so we’ll need one by then.

Old 05-04-2024, 02:54 PM

189 posts, read 308,460 times
I still see “Span of Control” on the board in my garage for the Supervisors. I sincerely hope you’re wrong and the new class goes in next month.

This is what I get for being placed in a garage out of class that wasn't conducive to any growth in this job all those years ago!

Old 05-05-2024, 07:42 AM

133 posts, read 129,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuptS View Post
I still see “Span of Control” on the board in my garage for the Supervisors. I sincerely hope you’re wrong and the new class goes in next month.

This is what I get for being placed in a garage out of class that wasn't conducive to any growth in this job all those years ago!
There still is span of control on the 12-8 in some districts. Pretty much a supervisor cannot watch more than 7 pieces of equipment on the 12-8 or 4-12, that includes trucks, brooms, basket trucks, etc. so if there are more than 7, a 2nd field officer needs to be added for that shift which puts you over the Quota hence over span, span of control. The thing is since we’re no longer running trucks 4-12 all over the city, there isn’t a need for a 4-12 NDS (Field officer) in most districts, so a lot of those spots got cut in reverse seniority order until the trucks come back in the fall. That kind of negates the span added on the 12-8 and created more of a surplus of officers than we have been running all winter. But then you have the bike lane and ATV brooms which need 1 specific officer designated, Highway sweeps, cleaning spots etc where tons of jobs are added on a daily basis, so it’s never ever clear cut. Plus we’re about to head into vacation season through September where the batches are higher and more people are off, we’re going to see a lot more vacations made, OT, maybe even mandatory charts for supervisors on Saturdays like it was all last summer. Not to mention they are actually short supers under the quota with a few more having DS95s to retire in, they’re going to have to make 8-10 supers soon, which means less supervisors. That doesn’t include supervisors who are retiring either.

I haven’t heard the September rumor anywhere but here, so not sure how legit it is but we will see. As long as it’s true the list is coming out this month, that’s all that matters right now, and that’s the one piece of information I trust right now.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:31 AM

143 posts, read 225,390 times
I hope I’m wrong too. This is just the bit of information I got from the union. But in this job things change all the time. It’s definitely possible there will be a class in June or July especially with the retirements and guys being on summer vacation.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 8,194 times
Anyone know if a complaint I received say 2 months ago for denied emergency would delay me from taken the sup title? Or is it like 12 months from the date for a clean slate type of thing?

Old 05-11-2024, 03:59 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,520,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postnames44 View Post
Anyone know if a complaint I received say 2 months ago for denied emergency would delay me from taken the sup title? Or is it like 12 months from the date for a clean slate type of thing?
complaint will mess you up.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
complaint will mess you up.
Would I be good after 12 months from the complaint date? I don’t think even think I’d make these first few classes anyway I got 73/100 and 2 or 3 years seniority credit. I’d expect maybe next year or the following

Old 05-12-2024, 01:42 AM

714 posts, read 1,211,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postnames44 View Post
Would I be good after 12 months from the complaint date? I don’t think even think I’d make these first few classes anyway I got 73/100 and 2 or 3 years seniority credit. I’d expect maybe next year or the following
You will be considered for promotion as long as you are not in the C category or have any complaints.

Old 05-12-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
You will be considered for promotion as long as you are not in the C category or have any complaints.
Gotcha, I really don’t know much about the complaint process. My understanding is they don’t expire. So should I never bother taking the supervisor exam ever?!
I’m more interested in a time frame do you have to have satisfactory rating for 12 months 18 months? I know one complaint for insufficient proof of emergency can’t be end all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City