Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:00 AM

34,054 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
In fact, many who file a return do so in order to not only pay $0 federal and state taxes but to take advantage of tax credits from the feds and state. They get paid by filing a tax return.

There is 0 chance you don’t know that filing a tax return doesn’t necessarily mean one pays taxes.
The bigger question is how come you know about this? All I know about is my own taxes, and I've paid taxes since I was in college. I didn't know that you could file taxes without an income. After all they're called "income taxes." How come you guys don't ask your councilperson why is this legal to file a tax return with no income?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:06 AM

1,270 posts, read 317,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The bigger question is how come you know about this? All I know about is my own taxes, and I've paid taxes since I was in college. I didn't know that you could file taxes without an income. After all they're called "income taxes." How come you guys don't ask your councilperson why is this legal to file a tax return with no income?
Why do you play the fool on this?
Of course one can’t file taxes if they don’t have an income at all. That’s not what’s going on.

Go look at your effective tax rate this past year. What was it?

40% of federal and state filers have an effective tax rate of 0%.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

34,054 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Why do you play the fool on this?
Of course one can’t file taxes if they don’t have an income at all. That’s not what’s going on.

Go look at your effective tax rate this past year. What was it?

40% of federal and state filers have an effective tax rate of 0%.
We should do something about this, you dont think so?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: