Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:19 PM

106,745 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Honesdale has what looks like a nice little rural village downtown that I could go to if I wanted to get out of a house in the woods. Hawley looks similar but smaller. The fact that Honesdale has that little big box retail strip just out of town is a bonus for utility shopping. A lot of the Poconos doesn't have even that. I thought there's be more down by Lake Wallenpaupack, but apparently there isn't.

It just sounds like you didn't like the rural lifestyle. Living in Manhattan, I can understand that. Some people love it though. I've never done it, so I don't know how I'd react.
we are in bay terrace queens , not manhattan

the hawley area became hard hit when the tanglwood ski park closed .

it attracted a lot of local business all winter .

i recently saw the hawley dinner , a fixture for decades is gone .

there are few businesses that are still in business since we left.

many changed hands a few times.

we had a few really good restaurants down our way by lake wallenpaupack . settlers inn , the boat house , gretchen’s , fairview cafe. ,cora’s 1850 , aj sports bar for burgers and a bunch more were excellent

honesdale meh ,not so much . can’t think of one that was outstanding.

we stayed out of monroe county as much as we could along with the strasburgs …milford was decent

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-25-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 07:42 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,767,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Beautiful place PA's Swiss Alps.
Planning a trip this summer.
I lived outside of JT in a development off 903. Not TT or Bear Creek. We loved it up there but made a killing on the sale of the house

Word of advice, weekends are crowded especially when events are planned. Get there early for parking in the municipal lot or you’ll pay out the nose for a private lot. Traffic in/out stinks as there’s only one road. In fact, it got so crowded for the fall festival cops shut the town down before noon on a Saturday.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:38 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Love it! I hope you never have to come back. Unfortunately not yet the case for me, but even the 2-3 days a week I get to completely avoid NYC are worth it.

And always remember, you WANT Mathjak to tell his story over and over and over again. With each telling, a NYC person you rightfully want to avoid may be convinced not to follow and ruin it for you!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2024, 01:57 AM

i can only talk about my own feelings about it and make sure others are well aware of the pitfalls we ran into when we looked at it as a place to retire to vs a vacation spot .

you know , like you constantly harping on nyc and how bad it is , yet i don’t find that at all..

i would take where we are over most places in new jersey any day or the poconos in pa

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-27-2024 at 02:40 AM..

Old 04-27-2024, 06:48 AM

We know, and we want you to keep telling everyone so it stays this way!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We know, and we want you to keep telling everyone so it stays this way!
the reason the same discussions come up over and over is its usually different people from the last time something was discussed asking the same questions or raising the same points

there is a constant flow of new people in to these discussions..

try the retirement forum on a subject like when to take social security if you want to see repetitive answers and discussions.

it’s like how many welfare discussions do we need here , or political discussions , it’s no different

most of these forum discussions are the same crap over and over repeated and so are the answers

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-27-2024 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-27-2024, 07:11 AM

I'm agreeing with you. I disagree with the content of your regularly scheduled post, not your ability to keep saying it.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm agreeing with you. I disagree with the content of your regularly scheduled post, not your ability to keep saying it.
that’s okay , you can disagree… no problem there

Old 04-27-2024, 12:37 PM

7,626 posts, read 3,271,056 times
The way MJ and his wife live feels like home to them because that's what they are used to the same as people that grew up in the suburbs feel more at home in the suburbs.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:39 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Only a few hours driving to NYC when you get a hankering... I've known a number of people over the years that commuted from the Poconos to NYC... Definitely NOT for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City