Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 12:37 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,618,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I find it amusing.
Good keep that humor

Too many people lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 02:07 PM

16,091 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Good keep that humor

Too many people lose it.

My Brooklyn accent makes my neighbors smile more than my jokes...............hahaha!

Old 04-24-2024, 06:11 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Sounds great except the "God fearing" part. I can do without religious people so no, thank you

Glad you're happy.
Yeah, especially religious people who FEAR the "god" that they are supposedly worshiping?!! Why on earth would you call some "thing" you're AFRAID OF your "god"?!!

But OP, I wish you the best in retirement. I will be starting social security next January (first payment in February, I think) and that's when I will feel somewhat RETIRED, yay! But I'll still be teaching a bit so not quite "fully" retired ... I have to have SOME interaction with people!

Old 04-24-2024, 06:21 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
It's more likely I'll end up in Vegas than Honesdale. More to do.

Honesdale was the answer to where I'd go if I wanted to keep access to NYC, while getting some land, and getting away from the stupidity coming out of the NYC/NYS government. But at some point I may say screw it all and leave the area. That would take me to Vegas.

Quote:
Well done. You are doing your homework.
I believe one day you will find your oasis.

May I make a suggestion from a retiree point of view.

Your independence into your elder years rely on being able to access the following :
Amenities ,medical and transportation.

There was a place I visited in Va about 20 years ago.
It did not have public transportation.
It had privately funded transportation that catered to the community
and covered all bases from banking to shopping to medical.

Unfortunately too expensive for me.

Wonderful Construct..........

Old 04-24-2024, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 2,045 times
Quote:
Hi fellow posters.

Settling into my new NEPA home.
I live in one of 67 Counties, 2560 municipalities
comprising of boroughs,townships,cities and towns.
Don't guess. I'm still trying to figure out where I live.
Haha..........

Yes. Sidewalks where I live.
Walkable,Bikeable,Dog friendly.
My dogs love it. Found a vet.
Deers,rabbits in my back yard.
Farms,farms,farms everywhere.
Meat is so fresh. Had a burger
at the local watering hole.
Flavor of a 5 star restaurant.
Fresh farm eggs 2 bucks.
Found a breakfast diner for
under 5 bucks includung tip.
Wow...........

Traffic ? Compared to NYC ?
To that I say.........No traffic.
So, so many roads to choose
to get to anywhere I want.

Local driving speeds vary 35,40,45,50 mph.
Love it.

Bus Service free to seniors. Haha.
Door to door if you carry a cane for a small fee.

Close to transportation,banking,shopping ,hospitals and houses of worship.
Neighbors picked up on my Brooklyn accent. " whatta hear whatta ya say.....Haha.
No...they did not put up for sale signs in front of their homes. Haha!

Folks my age? Friendly. God fearing Love America. Fit right in. Feels like I jumped back 60 years.

Internet speeds are fine.
Love my radio.
I can still pick up 1010 WINS and 77 WABC Woo Hoo!

Any Downsides ?

Local TV stations and Radio ......Music
Still playing decades old movies and songs.

Property taxes are the same but the homes are 1/4-1/2 the price.

I miss NYC terribly but not it's political atmosphere.

Checking out the local flyer........Perrenials on sale.
50% off..........Woo Hoo Gotta Run......................
I grew up about 2 hours from NYC...and I never understood why people loved it so much. Just an awful place to live and work. A total mess.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:52 AM

106,730 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's more likely I'll end up in Vegas than Honesdale. More to do.

Honesdale was the answer to where I'd go if I wanted to keep access to NYC, while getting some land, and getting away from the stupidity coming out of the NYC/NYS government. But at some point I may say screw it all and leave the area. That would take me to Vegas.
meh , i would sooner take the area we were in then honesdale simply because honesdale offered little more except walmart and i would never retire to either..

in fact a competitor to the company i work for has a location in honesdale.

when we first bought we looked in to relocating.. they offered half the pay for what i do

the problem is we figured out we can save about a third of what it cost here so the math was awful as far as relocating there.

i can’t say there really is any part of the poconos i would consider anymore after being there ….once that novelty of walking around the lake or in the woods wore off there was little to do on a daily basis as a resident and not a vacationer …. especially all winter

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-25-2024 at 03:12 AM..

Old 04-25-2024, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Yeah, especially religious people who FEAR the "god" that they are supposedly worshiping?!! Why on earth would you call some "thing" you're AFRAID OF your "god"?!!

But OP, I wish you the best in retirement. I will be starting social security next January (first payment in February, I think) and that's when I will feel somewhat RETIRED, yay! But I'll still be teaching a bit so not quite "fully" retired ... I have to have SOME interaction with people!
Best wishes with S.S.
Part time work is great.
Enjoy!
You earned it.

Opinion: Don't be confused.

Passages from the old bible. Psalm72:2
Translated.

Awe-inspiring is the Hebrew word used for fear.
So God Fearing = God awe-inspiring.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
I grew up about 2 hours from NYC...and I never understood why people loved it so much. Just an awful place to live and work. A total mess.
Sorry to hear that where you grew up was so awful.

I'm sure some would say the same thing living in Harlem as opposed to Forest Hills.
Can sum it up to....Location.Location.Location.
Hope you find that special place.

Best wishes.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:32 AM

Honesdale has what looks like a nice little rural village downtown that I could go to if I wanted to get out of a house in the woods. Hawley looks similar but smaller. The fact that Honesdale has that little big box retail strip just out of town is a bonus for utility shopping. A lot of the Poconos doesn't have even that. I thought there's be more down by Lake Wallenpaupack, but apparently there isn't.

It just sounds like you didn't like the rural lifestyle. Living in Manhattan, I can understand that. Some people love it though. I've never done it, so I don't know how I'd react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
meh , i would sooner take the area we were in then honesdale simply because honesdale offered little more except walmart and i would never retire to either..

in fact a competitor to the company i work for has a location in honesdale.

when we first bought we looked in to relocating.. they offered half the pay for what i do

the problem is we figured out we can save about a third of what it cost here so the math was awful as far as relocating there.

i can’t say there really is any part of the poconos i would consider anymore after being there ….once that novelty of walking around the lake or in the woods wore off there was little to do on a daily basis as a resident and not a vacationer …. especially all winter

Old 04-25-2024, 10:37 AM

It can be the most convenient, social, and entertaining place in the world, when it's working correctly. I grew up in the 'burbs, and am kind of divided on my thinking. I have a car, so I can get away from some of the more annoying aspects of NYC when I want to. But a lot of times, I don't.

Also, the news amplifies a lot of the negatives, that are really nowhere near as pervasive as you'd think if you weren't here and just watched the news.

If I ever had a family, I would have been gone decades ago. The fact that I stayed single, made staying here more viable, and why, even though I think about it often, I haven't left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post

Last edited by BBMW; 04-25-2024 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City