Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 11:16 AM

106,892 posts, read 109,156,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Lefty!

I’m shocked they lasted as long as they did.
My home away from home in the old days.
Sure am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 11:25 AM

50 posts, read 8,114 times
They must’ve owned their real estate or else they would’ve closed down at least a decade ago.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:11 PM

5,859 posts, read 2,977,889 times
What other stores are out there that sell music gear. I have guitar center near by, but Sam ash was closer. It was nice to kill 30 minutes there playing with guitars.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:15 PM

my go to is long island drum center , but the one in little neck queens . was there playing today

there are 3 with the same name but are all independently owned.

although it is basically for drummers they do guitar lessons and some gear

Old 05-04-2024, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
What other stores are out there that sell music gear. I have guitar center near by, but Sam ash was closer. It was nice to kill 30 minutes there playing with guitars.
i loved sitting at those electronic drum sets sam ash had set up and trying them .

some were amazing …for 3k or so you had a set that just sounded like my set. when its heavily amplified thru all kinds of electronics .

just the microphones on my set when we did shows were in the thousands of dollars . i usually had about 6 microphones feeding in to a mixing board for my set and then it would get processed thru a controller and fed in to the main system .

so amplifying drums is a separate profession it can be so complex .

i had ear buds that allowed me to hear a mix of just me or the whole group .

for big venues they were nice to have because what happens is without an electronic mix in your ears , you hear the sound on stage with the echo of the venue and you are not sure which is the sound you play to

those electronic sets always have so much punch and tone , i love them . they always have that fat amplified sound .

but not really practical for me

Old 05-04-2024, 09:56 AM

5,859 posts, read 2,977,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i loved sitting at those electronic drum sets sam ash had set up and trying them .

some were amazing …for 3k or so you had a set that just sounded like my set. when its heavily amplified thru all kinds of electronics .

just the microphones on my set when we did shows were in the thousands of dollars . i usually had about 6 microphones feeding in to a mixing board for my set and then it would get processed thru a controller and fed in to the main system .

so amplifying drums is a separate profession it can be so complex .

i had ear buds that allowed me to hear a mix of just me or the whole group .

for big venues they were nice to have because what happens is without an electronic mix in your ears , you hear the sound on stage with the echo of the venue and you are not sure which is the sound you play to

those electronic sets always have so much punch and tone , i love them . they always have that fat amplified sound .

but not really practical for me
Cool stuff.
I mix shows, mostly corporate but I’ve done few music shows. Even had Sting on my mics for a private event.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:19 AM

A good sound man is very important

I can say I want my drums to sound like Van Halen jump and it’s done

Old 05-04-2024, 12:53 PM

17,396 posts, read 22,152,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
after 100 years of serving musicians , sam ash announced. they are closing all stores everywhere.

i spent hours at the kings highway store as a teen and later in my twenties looking at and buying all kinds of drumming gear .

even had an early band with one of the family members .

they were truly a fixture here for all musicians for decades and will be missed.

my two favorite stores were sam ash where i bought a set of FIBES which were a see thru fiberglass set and royal music in canarsie .

royal music was very helpful when i wanted to order the same drum set that john Bonham from led zeppelin had .

it was all custom made to spec…..

losing retailers like sam ash and royal music are a blow to the music world
Brick and mortar specialty stores are getting killed by the internet.

How many drum sets will you buy in a lifetime? 1-2-5? Those are one time sales in most cases. Internet hurts on 2 levels, one for used/resale equipment and of course people price shopping new equipment.

Tough to build any business on one time sales.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Brick and mortar specialty stores are getting killed by the internet.

How many drum sets will you buy in a lifetime? 1-2-5? Those are one time sales in most cases. Internet hurts on 2 levels, one for used/resale equipment and of course people price shopping new equipment.

Tough to build any business on one time sales.
quite a few . personally i had about 5 from 1969 to 1978 but i stopped playing for 4 decades

most drummers change sets every few years , especially because what you play may change and require different sizes .

what constitutes a jazz kit is very different from a rock kit which can be different then the sizes i may use in a big venue .

the well known drummer i bought my set from had 6 different sets at one time .

see all the sets todd sucherman has in the back ground .

when it comes to cymbals it can be unlimited .

i have my eye on some trash crash cymbal additions .

what one buys frequently are electronics for the drums . as better and better microphones and electronics come out they are swapped frequently.

i use very tiny contact mics now that can barely be seen … they sound great and give me the sound i want .

when i did some sessions on the 50th anniversary tour with a well know group right before covid i had as many as 9 mics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQrQ...L3leBY14AaABAg

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-04-2024 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2024, 01:10 PM

these are some i had over a few years

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City