Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend were thinking of moving to NYC for maybe a year and trying it out, but where would be a good place for us to start off,I have no idea where to begin looking, the city is huge.

I dont have a career type job and I will be looking to find any kind of a descent paying job at least enough to pay the bills.I dont wanna live in a high crime area,where would yall direct me to start looking,Im a hispanic guy just looking to blend in in NYC and live among all the races.

How much does the average taxi cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
You want to be a cabbie? Here's the website of the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission. It says that the minimum acceptable bid for a medallion (which is required for yellow [metered] cabs) is $300,000.

NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission - Medallion Sale Information

Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
For a yellow cab you may be able to rent a medallion from someone that already has one. You can also drive a "black" cab but they are not supposed to pick up street fares. Supposedly, their fares are from the cab base.

As far as safe areas, New York has many areas that are basically safe. It really depends on your tolerance level, what you want to spend and what amenities you want.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
You want to be a cabbie? Here's the website of the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission. It says that the minimum acceptable bid for a medallion (which is required for yellow [metered] cabs) is $300,000.

NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission - Medallion Sale Information
They are that much now!! I remember when people were complaining about them being 1/10th of that.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
I thought he was referring to how much it would cost to take a taxi around, which you shouldn't do if you live in NYC, because the subway is a much cheaper choice.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Hello Desert Sun, I think you were the guy asking about landscape design educational opportunities on another part of CD.

If you decide to move to NYC, there are many places that offer education in that field. NYC is a great place to learn landscape design. You can get anywhere from a certificate to a masters degree. Good Luck!

As far as cost of taxis, it just depends on how far you are going. It can vary greatly. Taking cabs all of the time gets really expensive, so I would suggest taking subways or buses.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Hello Desert Sun, I think you were the guy asking about landscape design educational opportunities on another part of CD.

If you decide to move to NYC, there are many places that offer education in that field. NYC is a great place to learn landscape design. You can get anywhere from a certificate to a masters degree. Good Luck!

As far as cost of taxis, it just depends on how far you are going. It can vary greatly. Taking cabs all of the time gets really expensive, so I would suggest taking subways or buses.
Agreed.

If you want to commute often, you probably would want to familiarize yourself (or at least attempt to) with our gigantic transportation system.

As far as neighborhoods, that depends on how much you want to commute and how much you're able to spend. Manhattan is pretty pricey so you may want to also consider the 4 outer boroughs or even Northern New Jersey.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM

172 posts, read 476,109 times
Maybe he WAS wondering what sort of dough you could make driving a hack. If you've got no career-style thing going, that's an option, along with waiting tables and bartending. Lots of various kinds of temp work also. At least drivers don't have to be servile like waiters ... but they still don't make much more than $120 a day, about what I made in the 80s when I did it.

But yep, you're talking about sharing a studio with your girl on that kind of budget. Find one for 1,000 or so and I guess you've got a foothold. Just think what are the trendiest nabes you hear about ... and fuhgeddaboudit! Go for something nearby, down a rung or two ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City