Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times

Advertisements

Roosevelt ave can get pretty bad at night. A lot of bar fights that spill outside. There have been numerous shootings/stabbings/murders on Roosevelt ave over the last 5 yrs or so. The police have made the area an Impact Zone, but most of the Impact resources tend to go to Brooklyn and the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
Roosevelt ave can get pretty bad at night. A lot of bar fights that spill outside. There have been numerous shootings/stabbings/murders on Roosevelt ave over the last 5 yrs or so. The police have made the area an Impact Zone, but most of the Impact resources tend to go to Brooklyn and the Bronx.

So even though it's an impact zone, they are not giving it the same amount of funding they might give an impact zone that is located in another borough?

How much is the dollar amount difference in funding between this impact zone in Corona vs. others?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So even though it's an impact zone, they are not giving it the same amount of funding they might give an impact zone that is located in another borough?

How much is the dollar amount difference in funding between this impact zone in Corona vs. others?
It's not a funding isuue, it's a manpower issue. You only have but so many cops graduating the Academy ever yr. Parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx are deemed to be more prone to crime, so more of the manpwer is usually sent there. A couple of yrs ago, Corona received a larger portion of the graduating class, but not all of those cops are still assigned to Impact. Some quit, some get hurt, some get re-assigned to Patrol, etc...

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Well everyone knows that Jackson Heights is a nicer area than Corona...MUCH nicer. The difference in the crime here and there is....Jackson Heights has that underground discreet Colombian drug mafia thing going on. I know a lot of behind the scenes stuff...and there are a ton of things that the news isn't going to go into detail about..but if you're not a drug dealer don't worry about it. Jackson Heights is very nice to live..plus..there's always going to be a neighborhood dealer.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere1 View Post
Hi all,

I am moving to Corona in 2 weeks... my apartment is a block north of the 111th St. subway stop, near the corner of Roosevelt and 111th St. I've read quite a few posts on here saying negative things about Corona, so I am wondering what the general consensus is about its safety.

I am a 22 year old white guy moving in with my girlfriend. I know its a predominately hispanic neighborhood, which is fine, but is there a lot of crime around that area?

Any info will be much appreciated...especially from people who have lived/do live there. Thanks!!
Lived in Corona for two years. In summary, pretty poor neighborhood, a lot of stupid behavior on the weekends, summers, and nights that usually has to do with drunkeness. Yeah, you'll have your stabbing/slashing and occasional shooting, but it almost always is between on group of guys and another or between gangs or people within the same ethnicity. If anything, honestly, I'd fear the cops a little at first more than I'd fear my neighbors. The neighborhood is very poor, lots of illegal immigrants, and filthy. That said, very rarely did I feel unsafe at any time of day or night. Cops are usually out in swarms even on foot patrol, so I guess that are may be part of the Impact Zone. You will see lots of cops on Roosevelt and on 37th ve. I have seen my fair share of crime scenes, but have never been targeted.

Your GF may be whistled at or have comments made to her, especially if she is White. I don't think people would really bother either one of you. If you speak any Spanish, it helps because that is the main language. People are generally pretty friendly.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
Bad? Shady, yes, bad no. I really don't think he nor his GF really have anything to fear except if a) they are in that bar or restaurant at the time and b) are part of that ethnic group/gang. there are severall very sleazy bars/clubs/restaurants in the area but in no time you can figure out which they are and just cross the street or avoid them all together. In other words, unless he plans to frequent those places or lives right near one, I doubt he'll have much trouble.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere1 View Post
Moved in a few days ago.... analyticalkeys you were right... the bad areas must be further away from the train. My block and the blocks immediately surrounding seem to be very family oriented... lots of women with young children walking around during the day. Although it is funny to listen to the comments of my neighbors when they see a white guy walking down the street. The other day two kids passed me and one said to the other "wow, what is he doing here?"

I came home tonight around 11, and the area was still bustling with people. Maybe I am being naive, but I feel safe when there are so many people around, even relatively late at night. It also helps that I only have to walk half a block after getting off the subway.

I have heard quite a bit about the growing gang presence in Corona. Anyone know anything about this? Hustla perhaps? Most of the people I see, even late at night, seem to be hardworking people that don't look like they would do any harm. Based on the things I've heard about Corona, before I moved here I was ready to put on an angry face every night and act like a tough guy so i wouldn't get messed with, but that doesn't seem necessary. I wouldn't consider myself a likely target of crime, as I am 6'1" 200 lbs, but I don't want to get overconfident and get myself into any trouble (by going somewhere that I shouldn't at time that I shouldn't).

Any input is appreciated!
You may not yet be privy to the "bad" stuff that is happening behind the scenes (or maybe quite in plain sight). I don't agree with the neighborhood's worse spots being further from the train; let's be honest the whole neighborhood is very dirty and crappy. You just have to recognize a bad situation and avoid it. People will probably be friendly towards you, if not surprised by your presence. I don't think you really have anything to fear unless you hang out in those seedy joints, hang out with questionable people in the area, or are the type who thrives on bein aggressive (it doesn't seem like it).

Relax, man. I think the "bad-ness" of Corona is being way overdramatized. I have lived in Washington Hts., Bedford Park in the Bronx, Woodside in Queens, Bogota, Colombia, and now in the South Bronx. Out of all of them, Corona was not too scary. You just have to get used to seeing lots of people out and I'd advise you to always carry your ID with you. Cops may ask you, quite frankly, what the hell you are doing there or if you are lost. Once people start to recognize you, you're fine. I'd worry about being burglarized much more than being attacked.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Sha83 you are RIGHT On the dot with the last two comments that you made. DANG I couldn't have even said it better. I'm a white female living in Corona and the stupid cat calls were insane at first. Now people have seen me with my bf enough to know better I guess. The cat calls have gone from like 20+ a week to maybe 1 at the MOST. LOL. And yes, it's a poor neighborhood and people can act pretty dumb around here. The thing that annoys me is busting open the fire extinguisher and running around like a bunch of savages. It's fun once in a while I know..but like everyday..come on. Also, if you are a light sleeper like I am...get used to hearing the latino music blasting on any given night of the week. It doesn't matter if it's during the week..if they wanna have a party..they're gonna have it. I can't people don't report it to the police. Sometimes I hear it from two streets over. I'm slowly getting used to it though...I have to for the cheap rent I'm paying lol .

Also...you better speak some spanish in this neighborhood because I swear to GOD these people refuse to learn the language of the USA- ENGLISH! And yes, they refuse. Why do I say this? Many immigrants come over to the US and I go into the chinese food places...they can speak their own language..spanish..and english...THAT'S BETTER that what I can say! Two languages on top of what they already know. I was really impressed. Now on the other hand, for some reason, it seems like the other majority of this area just flat out refuses to speak it. I go to the grocery store all the time and none of the cashiers can speak english. It's insane. Anytime I have a question they have to yell in spanish for a manager and make a big scene..it's like they are trying to make me feel awkward for not speaking spanish. But I really could care less lol. I don't have any desire to learn it anytime soon. But what I'm saying is...if you don't want them to be as nasty and rude to you..it would help to know it. Luckily my bf is ecuadorian and speaks it fluently.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:31 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I listen to the 110/115 police precinct on my scanner radio at home on occasion,and the area around 103rd St and Roosevelt is where most of the crimes happen in Corona. Yes it is an impact zone but like others have said there are way worse neighborhods in brooklyn and the bronx. When one thinks of a bad area in Corona,it is LeFrak City. 111th St/Roosevelt Ave is tame.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
Now I know Corona is mostly Dominican.I was there in 2003 and there was a crazy amount of DR's in the area.Now I hear there's alot of Mexicans moving in that area as well.Do they tend to clash or get along?Cause Dominicans and Mexicans are totally different people.Fill me in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City