Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:37 AM

48 posts, read 159,203 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I need some good advice. I have an oppurtunity to live in Norwood, the Bronx in a large apartment for a super price (after I help renovate). However, I don't know anything about the neighborhood.

Is it safe? Crime? Would I be afraid living there?

How would you get to downtown Manahatan? I know some of the routes... which one is best...D-train? Metro North? The bus? Any comments about commuting? Do you feel its a painful long trip or kinda ok? Is the commute safe?

Besides the crime/commute questions... Good food? Movie theater? Supermarkets?

Anything you could tell me would be a great help (for my wifey too).

Please be honest... if it sucks there just say so!

Thank you very much,
-Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I go to monthly follow ups at Montefiore Hospital which is in Noprwood. I always park on the street in the area around E Mosholu Pkwy north and Van Cortlandt Ave, Rochambeau, Steuben, Kossuth, 208th, 210th and never have felt unsafe. Even at night. One reason may be because many of those blocks have hospital satellite offices that are well kept. As you go away from the hospital towards Jerome Ave or east of Bainbridge Ave towards Webster, the area declines

I have read that Norwood has been on the decline, however, and the worst(drugs) blocks are around 204th-209th streets between Bainbridge and Webster. Last year I saw an article about the corner of 205th street and Perry Avenue being like the S Bronx.

Most of the shopping and supermarkets are on Jerome Ave or the area around Bainbridge Ave and 204th street as well as Gun Hill Rd.

Since the area has become spotty with decent and bad pockets and since i only park in the good areas, it's hard for me to advise you as i don't spend much time there.

I would think that the commutes on the D and 4 are OK if you keep a look out. No movie theaters in the area. You'd have to go to Bay Plaza, Cross County in Yonkers or Whitestone Cinemas

Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 AM

An alternative to Norwood may be Bedford Park(200th street -Mosholu Pkwy-Grand Concourse to Webster Ave). It's on the other side of Mosholu Pkwy and is actually cleaner and better kept than Norwood. There is however less shopping and you would have to go to Norwood to shop or to Fordham.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Back in the late 80s/early 90s, Norwood, like Bedford Park was a really nice, charming neighborhood. That has changed and it is somewhat distressed now. Its a far cry from anything south of Fordham Rd, but its still sketchy.

Alot of others here will chime in and disagree with me, but they never saw it in better days.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Rochambeau, Steuben, Kossuth, Bainbridge from Gun Hill going south to Mosholu Pkwy, all seem OK. Avoid the area around Jerome, Dekalb, Perry, Hull, DeCatur and Webster, bad blocks

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Any of those Irish bars still on 205th street?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM

48 posts, read 159,203 times
Thanks for the replies. The apartment I would get is on Rochambeau. This is a tough decision. I like everyone else wants to feel safe and happy.

My guess is the block I would be on and my apartment would be fine... but I worry about my wife (or me) coming home late from work in Manahatan via train, say 8-9PM and the walk to the apartment.

Drugs and crime suck.. what a shame we all have to worry like this sometimes.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Pick Woodlawn instead.

Remember, while there may be good blocks and bad blocks in Norwood, there is no Berlin Wall seperating the two.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Default If there are..

any of those pubs left there aren't many. I used to go to 204th street in 1990 and the street was packed with irish people. Something happened in the 90's that changed it

probably would be safer coming home on the D than the 4. Walking from 206th street station to Rochambeau would be a short walk and should be OK, I assume you'd be somewhere between 210th and 206th on Rochambeau

Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,759 times
The area is definitely on the decline. I grew up there (went to St. Brendan's School on 207 & Perry). As far as I know, drugs have always been an issue there...just wasn't advertised as blatantly as it is now. The only shops along 204 st/bainbridge were mom & pop stores, a few pubs and that glaring McDonald's. Now its a strip. I don't know...Some people think its good to have everything accessible to them....but when large scale commercial industries start invading what used to be a family community...families start leaving & so does anything that makes the area habitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City