Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM

39 posts, read 164,379 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

I'm checking out the UES for me and my friend to live around 86th/3rd and wanted some info. on the neighborhood. Is it diverse ethnically (I would prefer it to be)? What type of stores/bars/restaurants are in the area?

Also, what is the typical weekday commute to the village (I'll be attending NYU and know I can take the express). The good thing is I have classes just two days a week so I won't have to commute a lot during rush hour.

Any help at all is so much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
East 86th Street, when I was growing up was the center of a thriving German-American community - Yorkville. That's all changed, except for some remnants, such as Schaller & Weber and a few konditoreis along East 86th.

I think that for NYU you could do better. The Lexington Avenue subway tops at East 86th and East 77th are among the worst in Manhattan. I once waited for four trains to stop before I was actually able to board one, that's how crowded the trains and stations are. I can't imagine doing that every morning.

You might want to consider other areas. Brooklyn would be better, actually.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
If you consider ethnically diverse meaning that there is a large group of people, all with substantial incomes, of every race, color and creed you can think of, then yes it is diverse. It is a very dense residential area of primarily high rises, so bars and stores of all types are everywhere (except real supermarkets).

There is an express train stop at 86th and Lexington. The commute to NYU would be 20-25 minutes.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post

There is an express train stop at 86th and Lexington. The commute to NYU would be 20-25 minutes.

It is if you can get onto a train. As I said, the crowds there in the morning are terrible and a chronic problem.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
East 86th Street, when I was growing up was the center of a thriving German-American community - Yorkville. That's all changed, except for some remnants, such as Schaller & Weber and a few konditoreis along East 86th.

I think that for NYU you could do better. The Lexington Avenue subway tops at East 86th and East 77th are among the worst in Manhattan. I once waited for four trains to stop before I was actually able to board one, that's how crowded the trains and stations are. I can't imagine doing that every morning.

You might want to consider other areas. Brooklyn would be better, actually.
Actually, if she/he isn't going to be commuting much during rush hour, it won't be bad. It's not a very long trip.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:45 PM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
i live in that area-it is a wonderful area. It is no village in terms of people. it is young professionals/married couples. mostly white/asian, it is not as diverse as village, and there is no large student crowd. it depends what you are looking for-village is more fun for a student. but Upper east side is a great area-central park is close by. 86th street has everything you need-stores, movie theaters.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,775 times
Working white-collar professionals. Less diversity than other NYC neighborhoods. Lexington & west is older and quieter. 3rd and east like the rest of the upper east is younger and more active. 86th itself is commercial and bustling. Just living 1-2 blocks north or south reduces noise substantially. Evening scene on 2nd/3rd is plentiful but thins out later at night, unlike SoHo or Greenwich Village. Being near Central Park is a significant plus, though being isolated from the rest of the city is a minor negative (just try getting your friends who live in Chelsea or the Lower East or Hells' Kitchen to come to the Upper East).

Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
I'm not sure that area is that much cheaper than say, the LES, is it? Might be a better fit for a more diverse and active area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City