Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 36,895 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful day and I'm still on the hunt for my next apartment. Although the South Bronx is not something I seriously consider as an option, I do want to see what the fuss is about with regard to revitalization/gentrification. I've seen many posts with varying opinions (and strong ones at that), but it's something I have to see for myself in order to form my own opinion. If I wanted to take a look in the area, where would I begin? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 AM

49 posts, read 369,715 times
The Bruckner Bar and Grill! You'd be shock at all of the proffesionals/artsy types (there's even a gallery there) that go there. What surprises me even more is that its clientel consists as much of outsiders as it does of locals. People from all over go there.

I was there last Thursday at around 10:45AM, and was shocked at two things. One, I was one out of four minorities in there. And two, it was very diverse. I saw a number of whites and asians, with a couple of African-Americans and about two hispanics. To date, I've yet to see a similar bar scene in Washington Heights, which is a gentrifying neighborhood. Had someone blind-folded me and taken me there, I would have sworn that I was in the village.

I should point out, however, that the staff was very welcoming. Every customer is attended to with the utmost enthusiasm. And the food is great. I'll definitely be going back there. DO yourself a favor and swing by.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the input. Although I've heard good things about the Bruckner Bar and Grill, it doesn't tell me much more about the neighborhood...

Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 AM

84 posts, read 320,802 times
I have a few ideas to as where you could go, Ill post some spots where gentrification/revitalization does not show and some where there are many new devolopments. You dont HAVE to go these places just my tips

Southern Blvd and Prospect Ave area

E 156th and Tinton ave area (projects)

The old Bronx courthouse (3rd and Brook)

E 159th and Melrose (many new buildings!)

The Hub

Projects south-west of Crotona park

Mill brook projects

New Yankee stadium area

There are plenty of places to go, but if you go these places you will see everything from urban decay to brand new developments and massive public housing projects.

Please reply with your opinions about these areas!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,060,392 times
Wow you're sending her to some pretty rough areas. But it's good so she understands that the south Bronx has barely seen any gentrification. Get that out of your head. There are new developments but they were just built on vacant lots. It's not like they took out all the residents and replaced them with whites. If anything stay in Port Morris....venture into Mott Haven and get a taste of the real world.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Okay, I'll bite. What are the boundaries of Port Morris? I also wonder why, if the lofts and renovated apartments I see advertised are so great, does no one post about what it's like to live in them?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM

42 posts, read 201,176 times
Thumbs up South Bronx Info

Don't be afraid! LOL. I see many folks are recommending you visit the "Real South Bronx", that is below 149th St. Which I think will really blossom (check out the Aurora Condos or the Northrose Apartment rentals for a glimpse into the future.) But you might consider the Grand Concourse area too...or maybe the Solara Apartments that are a little north on Grant and 167th I think. Do a search.

Here is an earlier post of mine that may help you. Someone else found it very helpful.

Also, for a bit of insight into Bronx living, check out the blog "The Boogie Downer" at BoogieDowner

Here's my perspective:

For those who care, I am a white, middle aged employed woman. And yes, I am a resident of the South Bronx and there are other white folks who live here too. I have lived on the Grand Concourse in the Yankee area for nearly 6 years in a well maintained co-op. Previously, I had lived for 12 years in Washington Heights, and 5 years on W. 86th St. I was raised in NY on the Upper East Side.

People seem to have the impression that the area is bombed out and derelict, but this is not true. Is it the Upper East Side? No. Is it Washington Heights? Definitely not - it's even better! And if you're into acquiring affordable real estate that will increase in value and won't cost you an arm and a leg, THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO BE RIGHT NOW! I bought my apartment for less than $50,00 6 years ago and the price has more than doubled. Check trulia.com for zip codes 10452, 10451, 10456 if you dare!

By far, the best stretch to live on is the Grand Concourse between 166th and 155th. But there are also nice blocks in the area (Walton Ave 150th to 164th, Sherman Ave, Gerard Ave, Anderson Ave, and others.) In addition to the new Yankee Stadium, there are great art deco buildings. Several well maintained parks (Franz Siegel, Joyce Kilmer, Mullaly, Mill Pond), the Bronx Courthouse and a few other municipal buildings, and the Bronx Musuem of the Arts (www.bronxmuseum.org). Along 161st you have a small outdoor mall with an international supermarket (Food Bazaar), a movie theater, CVS and some other shops. There are plenty of banks. Further down at 150th is the new Gateway Mall (see article here - Bronx̢۪s Gateway Center opens | The Real Deal | New York Real Estate News) which has Target, Marshall's, BJ's, Toys R Us, Bed Bath & Beyond, and other stores.

And if you still don't believe me on how good things are around here, read this: The Bronx is Beautiful it's a website about the beautiful residences in the area. Or see this NY1 story "Grand Concourse Stages a Real Estate Comeback" Grand Concourse Paves Way For Real Estate Comeback - NY1.com or read Moderator cut: No links to specific real estate companies. Please send via DM

The South Bronx may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a working class neighborhood that has some poor residents and New York branded crime, but I refuse to let you all say it's all bad based on ill conceived notions with tinges of cultural bias you garnered from television. The Bronx is UP!

For more info on properties, check Trulia.com or Moderator cut: No links to specific real estate companies. Please send via DM

Hope that helps!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: No links to specific real estate companies. General MLS search is okay, others via DM. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wow you're sending her to some pretty rough areas. But it's good so she understands that the south Bronx has barely seen any gentrification. Get that out of your head. There are new developments but they were just built on vacant lots. It's not like they took out all the residents and replaced them with whites. If anything stay in Port Morris....venture into Mott Haven and get a taste of the real world.
Thank you! I was hoping to help give some clarity to people that are interested in the South Bronx area. The South Bronx is not this perfect heaven many people try to make it out to be, so I tried to post some of the places I could think of that would shine some light on this topic.

Have you read the post by morenae? I don´t know if that´s a joke or not, but I laughed anyways! I ment to post some of the areas around 175-185th street, but frankly I am not much up there and I´m not very familiar with the area, but I know there are many really rough spots there, considering crime and graffiti. It might not have a lot of decay(?), but drugs are crazy there!

And yes I posted some new devolopments which were, not many years ago on land where buildings once stood that was burnt down, I hope she looks around and try to imagine how it was before they was built.

I hope everyone realises "SoBro" is not a gentrified yuppy place and the "BEST PLACE TO BE RIGHT NOW", omg...

I´m not trying to scare anyone away, especially not Chrgrgrl and I think it´s good she wants to discover the South Bronx, which I love.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 PM

42 posts, read 201,176 times
Should I be offended, CrotonaPark? LOL.

No, my post was not a joke. But yes, you are right - "SoBro" (gosh, I hate that name) is not all yuppy white gentrified. (Gosh no! I wouldn't be able to afford it.) But, in my area over the past few years, people have banded together to attract some positive attention and progress to the area - including a few outsiders. I hope that more like minded progressive people will continue to move here - people who want a home, not merely an investment.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morenae View Post
Should I be offended, CrotonaPark? LOL.

No, my post was not a joke. But yes, you are right - "SoBro" (gosh, I hate that name) is not all yuppy white gentrified. (Gosh no! I wouldn't be able to afford it.) But, in my area over the past few years, people have banded together to attract some positive attention and progress to the area - including a few outsiders. I hope that more like minded progressive people will continue to move here - people who want a home, not merely an investment.
Yes, if there is one thing I hate there is investors making a buttload of cash by throwing out/pricing out people from their own neighborhoods just so they can turn a profit. Capitalism goes too far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City