Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

179 posts, read 199,785 times

Advertisements

Unless your only option was there, is there a good reason to choose the city? It seems like if you're a financial analyst, accountant, lawyer, etc., the new york market tends to set the price for your service, yet you can live somewhere else at a fraction of the cost and/or lower taxes, thus netting more money, even if NY has higher bonuses on average (although even that's not always true - the highest paying law firm for instance is in Houston).

I guess what I'm asking is - why live in NYC if you're a professional, rather than a cheaper city like Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, L.A.? Seems like those places have better weather most of the year and are much more affordable, more outdoor activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
No reason, really. I'm guessing from your post that NYC's inimitable surfeit of great theater, cinema, opera, ballet, concerts, museums, restaurants, clubs, and history doesn't hold any interest for you, nor the energy arising from the fact that it's the center of so many businesses (fashion, book publishing, etc.). So if money is your main interest, I'm sure you're right that you can likely get a better deal elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Calid00d, have you ever been outside L.A. County? Like, for example, the City of New York? If not, perhaps you shouldn't put so much faith in the things you might've heard people say about this town.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,398 times
it's simple. There is no other place like nyc. It's the culture, the smell in the air, the different opportunities and different people you will see. The platters on 56 and 3rd, grey's papaya.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
well everyone on here is always complaining about how the city has lost all character so maybe TS has a point

If you wanna get into banking and are american, this really is the only place because it is were most of the banking is done

Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM

541 posts, read 1,903,127 times
Beyond the typical reasons of why I chose New York such as the arts, theater, culture, fashion, restaurants etc. I chose to move to New York because in my field of Finance and Accounting you can't have a better resume builder than New York experience. I had job offers in Houston and Dallas, and although I would have made more money, initially, due to a lower cost of living (despite lower salary) I am looking more long term. If I start my career off in New York City it will create larger opportunities for me in the long run which in turn means more money.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,269 times
The short answer: Yes.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-14-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
At risk of sounding overly grand, only a handful of cities in world history can compare to New York in the 20th / 21st centuries. The two most obvious are imperial Rome and Victorian London. No where else do you have the agglomeration of wealth, culture, intellect, prestige and influence that is also diverse and multicultural. Tokyo is a great city, but it's very much a Japanese city. New York and London are world cities. The world wants to live here. That's partly why it is so expensive. The real estate market is global. Nearly everyone who can afford it, and quite a few who can't, want pied-à-terre in Manhattan.

There's an old Peggy Lee song entitled, "Is that all there is?" When you live in New York you can answer, "Well, I guess so."

It's not perfect. No place is perfect. But if you're looking for a place that encompasses "all that there is," there's no place like New York.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's not perfect. No place is perfect. But if you're looking for a place that encompasses "all that there is," there's no place like New York.
...As the new thread bringing up New York's new tourism record (46 million) proves!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
i think you need to live there to understand. the other comments about inconvenience blah blah blah are from out of towners & tourists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City