Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
See...that's all I'm saying! Agreed...I just didn't think I was THAT much in awe of the people when I came here...it was just another new exciting city...as every city I have traveled to has been...even in BUBBLEF**K, MISSISSIPI!!!

Better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:32 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i gotta say, i got an amusing story. first, i grew up in the tri-state area & been in and out of the city my whole life. also lived in lower Manhattan for 6 yrs. i now live in Philly. well a month ago i drove into the city via the Lincoln tunnel and drove up 8th Ave by Port Authority. you know how its always jammed around that area, well, this girl was crossing the street towards the bus terminal taking her time and i almost swiped her while turning. she turns around, first looks at my license plate & sees PA and the shouts out to me "You're in NEW YORK CITY now!"

oh man, i had to laugh......its all perception i guess.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Dude that is a crock of ****. I have NEVER looked in amazement at ANYONE here or the fact that they live here.
Not a crock in many cases. I have a couple of friends from the Midwest, I met them while living in other places, and they came to New York for the first time and they were blown away by people being better dressed, better looking, more sophisticated, etc. A while later I went out to where they were from and found out the reasons for that comparison! There are plenty of schlumpy places in the US; it's not all California.

When I lived in France I saw a lot of the same stuff. The tourists from the American heartland often stood out badly because so many of them dressed in a slovenly manner, and most locals didn't.

As in Paris, you will see a lot more people in Manhattan who, compared to where the tourists come from:

- are not wearing shorts
- are not wearing sweats
- are not wearing T-shirts with slogans
- wear dressy or stylish shoes instead of sneakers
- actually co-ordinate outfits
- more stylish hair and makeup
- accessorize

Obviously there are plenty of informal dressers in New York, and people who look good in other places, but the NYC crowd tends to get more dolled up to hit the streets. I personally know people who have visited NY and felt really underdressed and were uncomfortable with my NYC friends, whom they perceived as having more education, sophistication, etc.

Even my girlfriend in Massachusetts gets upset coming here because she thinks all the women here are thin and stylish compared to where she's living, and she doesn't like that I spend all day around that.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,135 times
Well I feel sorry for those people. They sound pretty desperate and insecure. I have lived all over the USA and I have never heard of people feeling uncomfortable about being around NYers b/c of how they dress etc. No one really cares! LOL.
But I suppose if someone tells themself this kind of stuff it makes them feel better.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Not a crock in many cases. I have a couple of friends from the Midwest, I met them while living in other places, and they came to New York for the first time and they were blown away by people being better dressed, better looking, more sophisticated, etc. A while later I went out to where they were from and found out the reasons for that comparison! There are plenty of schlumpy places in the US; it's not all California.

When I lived in France I saw a lot of the same stuff. The tourists from the American heartland often stood out badly because so many of them dressed in a slovenly manner, and most locals didn't.

As in Paris, you will see a lot more people in Manhattan who, compared to where the tourists come from:

- are not wearing shorts
- are not wearing sweats
- are not wearing T-shirts with slogans
- wear dressy or stylish shoes instead of sneakers
- actually co-ordinate outfits
- more stylish hair and makeup
- accessorize

Obviously there are plenty of informal dressers in New York, and people who look good in other places, but the NYC crowd tends to get more dolled up to hit the streets. I personally know people who have visited NY and felt really underdressed and were uncomfortable with my NYC friends, whom they perceived as having more education, sophistication, etc.

Even my girlfriend in Massachusetts gets upset coming here because she thinks all the women here are thin and stylish compared to where she's living, and she doesn't like that I spend all day around that.
except for children. They where anything and its basically not a big thing.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,135 times
I'm really not sure what people you guys are talking about...I've never seen ONE person that I have been in awe of since I have been here...and I sometimes like to think of myself as easily amused. I guess we all like to talk up our cities...but everything speaks for itself. LMFAO..OMG I just can't believe some of the outlandish comments I see on here about NYC. I'm not even anti-NYC..but it's like..COME ON..PUHHHLEASE BE FOR REAL because you're not foolin' anyone!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Hey, I'm a local and I dress in basic short and tank top in summer. I dress pretty ordinary. I also have to wear sneakers because of my orthotics, due to bad feet problems. But, people still look at me like a local and ask for directions. I guess it's just the way you carry yourself.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,716 times
Here is dead giveaway.

A couple walking around on a weekday morning, both in comfortable shoes and shorts. Man wears a backpack with water bottles. Woman carries a map/guidebook.

It's like they are on an expedition to "hike Manhattan"!

I see this every day near my office by the Flatiron. How many other people see this every day?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
When I'm in Manhattan, I see that quite a bit. It's really funny how you mention how they look like they're going hiking in Manhattan--I never thought of it that way lol. It's true.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:23 AM

31 posts, read 159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Not a malicious topic by any means (so please don't make it one), just meant for fun.

Seeing as how I've lived in this great city my whole life, you tend to catch some nuances here and there. One thing great about New Yorkers is that we can spot a tourist from 50 paces. Without stating obvious ones, I'll just show a few characteristics and feel free to add on.

- Pretty much if you see someone face buried in a map - some while crossing the street sometimes. They cross, get to the other side, look up at the sign, face goes back to the map. Also, in the subway, they're intently studying the subway map in their hand -- even though they're standing right in front of the map on the platform.

- Here's one amazes me to no end. Is this some NYC tourism law that requires them to wear sun visors?

- Looking up while walking. It's pretty comedic to see - people taking interest in the garguantuan structures of our metropolis in awe. And possibly tripping on a crack and causing an even more comedic sight.

- Taking pictures of EVERYTHING. It's one thing to take pictures if you're at Empire State or Times Square or something - but, and this story is 100% true, why would you take a picture of your friends getting out of a cab? I sw this one lady jump out the front passenger seat of a cab near the Flatiron Building, she rushes around, starts taking pictures, waits for (I presume) her husband and son to open the door and takes MORE pictures.

These are all the ones I have for now. Anybody else care to share what's in their "Tourist Radar"?
For starters, those who walk more slowly than the rest of us, and those who take up the whole sidewalk while having no regard or sense that there are people behind them who are in a hurry, who need to get going.

Those who wear fannypacks. Yes. There I said it.

Those who wear motif, loudly pink oversized t-shirt that says "My boyfriend is out of town".

Those who carry fake logo Gucci bags. Then again they could be your weekend Bridge-and-Tunnel crowd.

Those who very obviously dress up to the nines but very obviously in the fashion that was a couple of seasons outdated (i.e. big flower pins on the clothes that were so 1999) which very obviously came from Sex & the Season inspiration. They probably came to NY in hope to reminiscent the lives of Carrie Bradshaw & Co. (no offense but that show and its phenomenon drove me crazy)

Those who carry huge Century 21 shopping bags and walk leisurely while checking the sidewalk vendors.

Those who look very dazed and confused at the subway entrance or in front of the subway maps. I don't blame them, this city's subway is beyond confusing especially with the recent years never-ending construction going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City