Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in going to one of these colleges. I researched to see that they are both tier 1 colleges. Can anyone tell me which one is better? I'm looking into these degrees (Biology,Nursing, Medical Sciences).
Someone told me that St. Francis is in Brooklyn Heights and therefore "ghetto". Would I fit in? ;-)
I just really want to go to a nice college where I can earn my degree..I'm really not too pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM

YouTube - ST FRANCIS COLLEGE PARTY

I think St. Francis is out of the picture now. If only my skin was a little darker..this might actually be fun...

Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Has anyone gone to either of these colleges..if so, can you tell me your experiences?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I know this is out of left field, and not the two colleges that you had listed, but have you thought about the College of Mount Saint Vincent? I believe that they do offer a per credit hour fee structure in their tuition arrangement, especially if you are not living on campus, something like $700/hr for under 30 credits per year, and $300/hr for over 30 credits per year. They have an excellent reputation, though they are way up in Riverdale, adjacent to the river.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know this is out of left field, and not the two colleges that you had listed, but have you thought about the College of Mount Saint Vincent? I believe that they do offer a per credit hour fee structure in their tuition arrangement, especially if you are not living on campus, something like $700/hr for under 30 credits per year, and $300/hr for over 30 credits per year. They have an excellent reputation, though they are way up in Riverdale, adjacent to the river.

That sounds awesome. I have never heard of them. I am going to look them up right now. Thanks a lot!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You're welcome. It's a great school, used to be exclusively for women, but the programs are now co-educational. Their nursing program is very well regarded, from what I understand, and they have a reputation for good academics and broad-based liberal arts studies as well.

http://www.mountsaintvincent.edu/

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-24-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Typo and added link

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
I went to St Francis, and it was not ghetto. Overall I liked it but as a small building its not a full college experience. There was a large Caribbean population but mostly everyone was friendly.
The surrounding area is very nice

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I went to St Francis, and it was not ghetto. Overall I liked it but as a small building its not a full college experience. There was a large Caribbean population but mostly everyone was friendly.
The surrounding area is very nice
I just looked into St Francis and I don't believe they have a Nursing program anyway . Thanks for sharing though.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:58 PM

67 posts, read 308,230 times
I went to St. Joseph's and graduated just a few years ago.

Pros:

- The elementary education program is what it is known for most. The nursing program is also popular but I don't know much about it.
- The school is particularly small (the Arts and Sciences division was under 1,000 students).
- Classes are only between 10-30, and the professors will know you personally.
- The school is majority female, not that there is anything wrong with that.
- There is reasonably priced on-campus parking.
- The cafeteria food is good and has a 25-cent Pacman machine.
- The buildings are old, or should we say nostalgic?
- Generous scholarships
- The professors are more interested in teaching, compared to larger universities where they put research first.

Cons:
- If you are looking for a traditional college party setting, you won't get it. The majority of students just punch in, punch out and go home.
- If you go a few blocks away, you reach Myrtle Avenue. Despite what people say, that area is NOT up and coming. But the area around the college is very safe.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocat View Post
I went to St. Joseph's and graduated just a few years ago.

Pros:

- The elementary education program is what it is known for most. The nursing program is also popular but I don't know much about it.
- The school is particularly small (the Arts and Sciences division was under 1,000 students).
- Classes are only between 10-30, and the professors will know you personally.
- The school is majority female, not that there is anything wrong with that.
- There is reasonably priced on-campus parking.
- The cafeteria food is good and has a 25-cent Pacman machine.
- The buildings are old, or should we say nostalgic?
- Generous scholarships
- The professors are more interested in teaching, compared to larger universities where they put research first.

Cons:
- If you are looking for a traditional college party setting, you won't get it. The majority of students just punch in, punch out and go home.
- If you go a few blocks away, you reach Myrtle Avenue. Despite what people say, that area is NOT up and coming. But the area around the college is very safe.
These actually sound all like pros to me. I'm not looking to the party atmosphere. I'm there to get an education, not play popularity contests.
I'll save that for the underacheiving people that I went to highschool with. Thanks so much for your post! I hope St. Joseph's isn't too hard to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City