Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving from Buffalo NY to New York City to pursue a free lance stylist career. Preferrably Brooklyn or Staten Island. I do not have any children, and I plan on living alone but I do currently work but I dont make alot of money. A friend of mine suggested I apply for NYCHA, can I do this? I know the waiting list atleast over a year, so I am prepared to wait .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briiicarter20 View Post
I'm planning on moving from Buffalo NY to New York City to pursue a free lance stylist career. Preferrably Brooklyn or Staten Island. I do not have any children, and I plan on living alone but I do currently work but I dont make alot of money. A friend of mine suggested I apply for NYCHA, can I do this? I know the waiting list atleast over a year, so I am prepared to wait .
Without children, the wait could be much much longer, try 5+ years. Women with children are a priority, and the system is already backlogged ten fold.

Besides why live in NYCHA? You could probably rent a room much faster in a better area with a little more money, especially in SI.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
I think there is a waiting period of at least a year before you can even apply and then, as itshim indicated,there is an extremely long wait once you have applied for single people because of the way they prioritize .

Why would anyone in their right mind think of moving here with the projects as their goal ?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
well thank you two certainly for your input, that certainly shed some light on how it works. & bluedog2 , it isnt a goal its a starting point for someone that has a low income & is attempting to work their way up to something better. To certainly see it as a goal is very narrow minded, but I appreciate your input .

Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
If you don't think you can afford to live here, why are you moving here? Is your only job opportunity freelance or would you consider alternate jobs for supplemental income as well? It's a very tough job opportunity and moving into the city with the upfront consensus to be low income is worrisome. And how low is low? Buffalo has a much lower cost of living than NYC, which I'm sure you know. There is definitely more of an opportunity here for a stylist, but definitely think things through. You don't want to be miserable.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briiicarter20 View Post
well thank you two certainly for your input, that certainly shed some light on how it works. & bluedog2 , it isnt a goal its a starting point for someone that has a low income & is attempting to work their way up to something better. To certainly see it as a goal is very narrow minded, but I appreciate your input .
I live on SI, and the advantage is that because it's further out and harder to reach, the rents are cheaper here. If you look hard enough and are willing to live in some areas that are considered "undesirable" (I mean, if you're using the projects as a stepping stone, the quality of life can't be too much worse than the projects themselves), you could probably find an affordable apartment.

The thing about Staten Island is that many homes come with a built-in apartment. The purpose was for the landlord to be able to supplement their income to afford the mortgage, so you could probably find a decent-sized apartment for a reasonable amount, especially if you split the rent with a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: