Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 AM

55 posts, read 195,644 times

Advertisements

so, Bushwick?
what can people who live in or near the area tell me about the neighborhood? i've been looking at Greenpoint, but I keep hearing good things about Bushwick, but hear its pretty gritty and undeveloped still, higher crime, etc. for someone whose never lived in New York before especially.
i'm an artist though, i make movies,and it seems like there's a nice growing arts scene around certain area, but are there any areas in particular that are nice to live in Bushwick? or is it all pretty close to the same? i've heard stuff centered around the Morgan L stop is where i should look?

sorry for all the questions, but any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Bushwick is still a pretty rough neighborhood overall.
Morgan is one of the area in Bushwick that is starting to experience gentrification. If you have to start out in Bushwick, thats where I would suggest.You could even go as deep as Dekalb Avenue on the L. Around there isn't that bad either. But keep in mind Bushwick is going through a process so the neighborhood still has issues with drugs and violence. Using the L train as a guide, I would go no farther east than Myrtle-Wyckoff to find a place to live. East of that, you will see how Bushwick looked in the '80s and around there is still pretty rough. Also, avoid Central Avenue from Palmetto Street to the M train, its still crazy around there, and also you would want to try and avoid living close to any public housing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
The area right near public housing is very bad.

The other areas are very heavily Latino, a lot of families. I didn't feel particularly unsafe there during the day when a friend of mine was living there. However, it is loud all the time, and many of the buildings are infested with bedbugs. And, I would be careful walking home at night from the subway.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 AM

ha ha. sounds inspirational, drugs, bedbugs, don't walk home at night.

does anyone know anything about these "artist loft" complexes? Opera House Lofts (www.operahouselofts.com ), OfficeOps (www.officeops.org )

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,264 times
I use to live in bushwick. Off the L train Halsey stop. It was gotten a lot better! Back in the early 90's there was empty lots all over the place. Now with all the new houses getting built it looks a whole lot nicer, it doesn't have that dangerous feeling like the south bronx. Usually see white/artist type people closer by the train station area being that once you cross over wycoff ave it becomes queens! Off the Halsey stop is predominantly spanish people if it matters to you. And like seventhfloor said stay away from public housing in any area!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden67 View Post
ha ha. sounds inspirational, drugs, bedbugs, don't walk home at night.

does anyone know anything about these "artist loft" complexes? Opera House Lofts (www.operahouselofts.com ), OfficeOps (www.officeops.org )
The bedbug thing is scary, actually. There are infestations all over the city. A big part of the problem is the recycled mattress business..a lot of lower income people buy reconditioned mattresses. Investigative reports have shown many of them have live bedbugs or bedbug eggs in them.

If your a family with 4 kids and you need 4 mattresses..and you just immigrated from El Salvador...you gonna pay $40 a pop or $250 a pop?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:45 AM

i believe it, i've heard a few horror stories. no way in hell i'm going anywhere near a recycled mattress.

any particular streets in Bushwick then that have a nice atmosphere, cafes and restaurants and stuff that are relatively safe?

or as a first timer should i stick to Greenpoint. its pricier, but....

Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden67 View Post
i believe it, i've heard a few horror stories. no way in hell i'm going anywhere near a recycled mattress.

any particular streets in Bushwick then that have a nice atmosphere, cafes and restaurants and stuff that are relatively safe?

or as a first timer should i stick to Greenpoint. its pricier, but....
How about Fort Greene? The pioneering has just begun in Bushwick. From what i remember there was one "hip" restaurant in the area..he had to go closer to East Williamsburg for anything quirky, ie geared towards young white people.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 17,240 times
Bushwick isn't what I would call a bad neighborhood. I mean, theres a lot worse places in Brooklyn you could live, IMO. Just when you look for apartments, use your head. I'm sure you will know when you're in a bad neighborhood. But I would have to suggest Greenport for you though. Bushwick doesn't have much of anything exciting in the way of restaurants or cafes. To be honest, I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and the only real time I really spend here in Brooklyn is in Williamsburg.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
FYI, Morgan Av. is not in Bushwick. If you heard otherwise, and like most posting in here, they're wrong. It ends right on Flushing Av. which converts to Wilson Av. and heads deep into Bushwick. Williamsburg ends on Flushing Av. Anyways, that area is fine by hipster standards. I grew up and used to work right on Johnson Av. in the immediate area and it's a gritty neighborhood, but definitely not like inland Bushwick, both aesthetically and crime-wise. Lots of lofts, illegal and legal plus a few bars are situated along the area. Bushwick/Hylan and Boriquen projects are to the east of Morgan, about 4 blocks away, but you won't see many ill-minded stragglers from there heading into that section. The only people roaming at night are the hipsters getting off at Morgan, patronizing the nearby bars or factory workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City