Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:54 PM

110 posts, read 347,318 times

Advertisements

In that sense no city is better than the other. I recently said that NYC is better than any other city in a thread without thinking what I was writing and now I see that as simple hometown bias. your post actually did clear up my perspective.

So for that I thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
Bronx Rochester, I was being sincere when I said thanks. I wasnt trying to be cute. Its hard to tell if u are being sarcastic with that thanks or not. I honestly wasnt trying to throw a dig your way. Just in case u thought I was. Im not used to people agreeing with my insight here. That's all. Anyway, everybody has a favorite city. Most people's is their hometown. I'm was talking about the people, who post things about the rest of america being all "farmlike" west of the Hudson. When they are foaming at the mouths about NYC, and foaming at the mouths about the dislike of anywhere else. And when they cant believe that someone could actually dislike this city. Or actually like a city elsewhere. My favorite city happens to be Seattle (not CHICAGO like most u think). Least favorite is Boston (Tom Brady & crew included).

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 PM

25 posts, read 120,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Again with Chicago? No one, atleast not on this thread said Chicago is better than NYC. For the most part, nobody can say their city is better than the next. Cause everybody has different wants and needs. Someone who loves sunshine, might love La. Someone who likes changes in the seasons, probably wouldnt. I'll give you another example. Now, to me, NYC is probably one of the worst cities to spend a summer holiday weekend in, if you enjoy cookouts. I bet you that NYC (not talking about LI either), probably has one of the lowest % of people who have cookouts. Way too many high rise apartment buildings here for that. Ya, you could go to places like Corona Park. But Corona Park, compared to the 18 miles of paved lakefront in Chicago? Corona Park to me, is dumpy looking. Not saying you couldn't have a good time there, but there's just no comparision to partying along lake Michigan. Plus, Chicago has alot more smaller apt buildings. Like 2 flats, with back yards where people grill and party. Someone could through a keg of beer in an alley way here in NYC, and u could have a good time. But most adults would agree, they'd rather not. Ya there's a ton of good restaurants and bars here. So what. I personally like doing something different on holidays. I eat out and drink in enough bars all yr. I like switching things up for holidays weekends like Memoriol, Fourth of JULY, Labor Day, etc. Im not saying there aint nowhere to go here or nothing to do on them holidays. But, I didnt smell, not ONE, and I mean not ONE, grill cooking this past Labor Day weekend. I'm sure alot of people here in NYC could care less about it. But, for some of us, it's tradition. It's as AMERICAN as APPLE PIE. That's why ,no city can say its better than the next. I'm talking comparitable cities now. Not NYC to Fargo,ND. But I will say, that u, without a DOUBT, root for the BEST football team in the HISTORY of the NFL! Go STEELERS!
I've only travelled through Chicago, but it seemed like a "big city" almost on par with NYC.

I worked with a lady from the Chicago suburbs, who moved to NYC to find fame and fortune. Maybe not the fame, but she definitely thought she'd find fortune. When it didn't happen quick enough (I don't know if it ever happened for her), she quickly turned on NY and everyone in the office. It got to the point that she would hold screaming matches with anyone who tried to defend themselve. Finally, myself and another co-worker had to talk to the boss. When she was confronted, she stormed out of the office. In recent years, I've encounted a lot of people searching for something...

Over the years, I've listened to the "bashing". While traveling, with visiting relatives and family members. It used to upset myself and my parents. I've concluded that these people are insecure. As one poster said they need to knock others down to build themselves up...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I'm confused...maybe I got on the wrong train??

I thought this thread was to make fun of all the people who come on to the NY Forum and tout their city while bashing ours. Isn't touting other cities on this very thread somehow against the rules?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
It is Henna. But your always welcome on MY train. Come aboard, we wont bite!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
LOL, this thread is hillarious. I too always wondered why people always want to bash NYC. If NYC wasn't so great than why would hundreds of thousands of people move there each year, including myself. There are very few cities that can even be mentioned in the same sentence as NYC let alone be a lot of cities better. LOL, people make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City