Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM

68 posts, read 246,224 times

Advertisements

this is probably a personal question but any ideas are welcome

I'm currently working in Pittsburgh but my job sucks recently and I hate working here. so I'm looking for a new one.

the reasons to go to ny is that.
1.exciting, a lot of art venues and activities that i like and those are related to my field.
2. a lot of job opportunities.
3. potential to find some eligible well-educated singles
the draw back is it's too expensive to live there, don't want to live with roommates any more.and for my field, we're not paid higher in NY.

the reason to stay in pittsburgh
1. I've just come up a business idea that will probably work...in pittsburgh
2. I've got to know this area now and have some friends here
3. so cheap to own a house here
the draw back thing is there's not a lot of well-educated singles in their 30s in Pgh. and not a lot of job opportunities.

should I stick to pgh and work out my business ideas in Pgh or should I go for a job in NY? (it's probably easier to find a job in NY for now) thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Well, my opinion is, that if you don't move to NYC, then look back 20 years from now and even slightly regret it, it will have been the wrong decision. I say go for it and move to New York.
I moved from Atlanta to NYC in 2001. I could have stayed in Atlanta with many opportunities within my company. My division of my company closed, but I had 1 offer within the company. I wound up moving to NYC and love my decision.
The time spent and experiences made in New York are incredible! I'd go with your gut and move.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
I think it's a calculated risk, and worth it to go to NYC if its something you want to do, and it offers better opportunity, why not go for it? Manhattan is expensive, yes, but not all of the other boroughs of NYC are as expensive, comparatively, and there are plenty of good neighborhoods in them as well. So, if you're not limiting your search to Manhattan itself, since you don't want to share, I think it could be viable.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM

629 posts, read 901,840 times
The cost of living in NYC is SO much higher than Pittsburgh. You're literally talking about one end of the spectrum to the other. The most expensive city in america compared to the cheapest. Come here and give it a shot. It's not like they wont let u back in Pittsburgh if u leave. I will say this though, u better really want it. Meaning if u come here with an " I could take NYC or leave it attitude", you'll probably end up leaving here. You not wanting any roomates? That's pretty unrealistic if u want to live here. There's people here making a 100 grand a yr and have roommates. Now they could survive without them. But how much could they ever save is the problem. You say they dont pay much more here than in the Burgh, u will defiently have to have roommates here. I was born an raised in Pittsburgh. It's not even really the rent here that kills u. You get 2 & 3 buc to death here. And I'm talking about the outer boroughs. Mannhattan will probably 3 & 4 buc u to death. What i'm trying to say is that "everything" u by here is going to cost u WAY more than most parts of the US. It will be like "7 eleven" prices or maybe worse than compared to Pittsburgh. A pack of razors, a beer, a meal, etc. It's the little things u buy here everyday that sneak up on u and bite u. Rent can be a big hurddle here, but the little things is what I really notice. I've payed as much as 7 bucs for a bottle of Corona in bars in Flushing, Queens. Plus a dollar tip. Thats 8 bucs for a beer. Now u can find them cheaper of course. But 6 bucs (including a dollar tip) is basically what u have to spend around here. Mannhattan can get actually STUPID with what some places will charge. Sometimes u might have friends that will go to them places so u have to go. Or u meet a girl who u like, and she likes a certain Bar or Restaurant. What are u going to do? "High maintainence women" here give a whole new meaning to that expression. Just think about all this before u come.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
The cost of living in NYC is SO much higher than Pittsburgh. You're literally talking about one end of the spectrum to the other. The most expensive city in america compared to the cheapest. Come here and give it a shot. It's not like they wont let u back in Pittsburgh if u leave. I will say this though, u better really want it. Meaning if u come here with an " I could take NYC or leave it attitude", you'll probably end up leaving here. You not wanting any roomates? That's pretty unrealistic if u want to live here. There's people here making a 100 grand a yr and have roommates. Now they could survive without them. But how much could they ever save is the problem. You say they dont pay much more here than in the Burgh, u will defiently have to have roommates here. I was born an raised in Pittsburgh. It's not even really the rent here that kills u. You get 2 & 3 buc to death here. And I'm talking about the outer boroughs. Mannhattan will probably 3 & 4 buc u to death. What i'm trying to say is that "everything" u by here is going to cost u WAY more than most parts of the US. It will be like "7 eleven" prices or maybe worse than compared to Pittsburgh. A pack of razors, a beer, a meal, etc. It's the little things u buy here everyday that sneak up on u and bite u. Rent can be a big hurddle here, but the little things is what I really notice. I've payed as much as 7 bucs for a bottle of Corona in bars in Flushing, Queens. Plus a dollar tip. Thats 8 bucs for a beer. Now u can find them cheaper of course. But 6 bucs (including a dollar tip) is basically what u have to spend around here. Mannhattan can get actually STUPID with what some places will charge. Sometimes u might have friends that will go to them places so u have to go. Or u meet a girl who u like, and she likes a certain Bar or Restaurant. What are u going to do? "High maintainence women" here give a whole new meaning to that expression. Just think about all this before u come.
Wonderful and accurate post. And unbiased too.

Welder, there's no way you're outgunned here. You're able to give the most sagacious advice on this topic. The OP will be well advised to read/re-read your post. You gave the facts in great fashion drawing on your personal experiences as a Pittsburg native now in NYC and you didn't say "do come here at all costs "or "don't come here." You left it for the OP to evaluate given the various sentiments expressed by yourself and other posters.

I'm not kidding when I say that you have a way with words, welder. Your storytelling method combined with personal anecdotes is exemplary. I think you should explore professional writing - perhaps it can help pay for those expensive Coronas in Queens!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
...All true. But could you please stop with the "u?" Some of us speak English, not txt.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Thanks Miles for your kind words. But I honestly dont even know what "sagacious" means. LOL. Pittsburgh'ers have a 'different' perspective and 'outlook' on alot of things in the world. Our sense of humor is very WITTY and DRY. Look at Pittsburgh's native Dennis Miller. "When" I understand what he's saying, I know where his point of view is coming from. I get his humor, where alot of other people around the country dont. He came from a very blue collar up bringing. In fact a friend of mine's mother grew up with him and said he had a rough life growing up (family wise). I make as much as alot of well educated proffesionals do. But being blue collar and not educated my point of view will always be with the common man. Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in between the classes. Push comes to shove, first hand experience will always win over what someone learns in a classroom. I dropped out of highschool in the 10th grade and took my GED to prove a point. Street guys who've "been around the block" aint exactly idiots when it comes to knowing things that really matter in the world. And that probably comes 'out' in alot of my post here. And them 'CORONA'S' could bring down the best of em'. LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

I actually thought that you could use "u". LOL I continue to embarrass myself on here. Please dont comment on my spelling either. I know that it's bad. LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM

i don't mind the spelling at all. it's the content that matters to me, welder. pardon my small caps, please, fellow posters.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Push comes to shove, first hand experience will always win over what someone learns in a classroom
.................................................. .................................................. .....

How true. Reminds me of the canoe full of students and their professor paddling up a creek when suddenly a fierce wave caused the boat to turn to one side. The professor started evaluating the laws of dynamics, gravity, pondered the principles of motion and even tried to apply some of Einstein's theories to the situation.

Meantime the students with their previous experience paddling canoes, all bolted and headed in their trunks for safe haven ashore.

Guess who survived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City