Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long where you on NYCHA waiting list before you received your apartment?
Less than a year. 5 20.83%
Between 1 and 2 years. 4 16.67%
Between 2 and 3 years. 5 20.83%
Between 3 and 4 years. 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 48,448 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Any experience on being on a waiting list for NYCHA projects?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have already received a letter to select specific project. Wondering how long of wait from now on.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any info will be greatly appreciated as I’m in the process of renewing my lease with my current landlord.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Waiting depends on your situation. When I did my time there, me and my kin were placed under the "emergency" section since we were literally priced out of our apartment eons ago and forced to bunk up with close friends until something showed up, Housing or otherwise. So I got a ****ty apartment in less than 1 year I believe. It might have been no more than 2. I don't remember, but if you're homeless, victim of domestic violence/intimidated witness or had my situation(I'm pretty sure even faster if the applicant does not work), you'll get an apartment quicker than non-emergency working class applicants.

Since you choose a specific development, you'll have a good wait since you only choose 1 development as opposed to an entire borough + backup. Maybe 4-5 years minimum, but don't quote me on that.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 48,448 times
I guess I better contact my current landlord to renew my lease.
I'm in the non emergency working class category.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM

70 posts, read 206,391 times
After I was put on the waiting list I had to wait six months.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM

101 posts, read 562,785 times
Well I was in the shelter and I got the section voucher and certain Nycha developments take section 8 now and Ive only been on the waiting list for less than 2 months and I have my apartment ...they just have to clean and fix it up for me..I love it...It's big and spacious,tons of closets,nice area..Im moving into the Bayview houses .I cant wait ...I just have all of these decorating ideas and im saving up for carpet ! Im on the first floor as well so no stinky elevator smell for me! Wooohooo! I feel bad though because I know that some ppl have been on the list for years and Im not even a native new yorker and im gliding through the system with ease .Im a jersey girl with every intention on going back to my home I miss so much! NJ i will be back soon! I miss NJ soooooo much but I also love NYC it's a difficult choice .

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM

101 posts, read 562,785 times
if you want to get into NYCHA ...Go into the shelter system once you are in get a rent assistance program called the advantage eithier work or fixed income....Once you are in that apartment you get expedited section 8 within a few months...Once you get that voucher go to NYC.gov and apply for a nycha apartment and you WILL get one within a couple months...Most ppl didnt know that they could apply for a NYCHA apartment with section 8 online ! Im glad I did know! I dont have to apartment hunt and compete with all of the other section 8 voucher holders...Most ppl dont know what a blessing the NYC shelter system truly is ! My caseworker was the sweetest thing. She really helped me out. She even babysat for me on occasion when I had to apply for an apartment because she knew my daughter was autistic and she would be a problem .After I moved out of the shelter I sent her a floral fruit arrangement as a thank you. Everything has been a breeze....NYC is great because they really help people down on thier luck .

Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
Why would anyone want to live in a project? Sorry, I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. But I would say you're best bet is to rent a room with a nice elderly couple.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
Why would anyone want to live in a project? Sorry, I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. But I would say you're best bet is to rent a room with a nice elderly couple.
Not everyone can afford a non-subsidized housing option. And the last thing most 'elderly couples' would probably want is someone renting a room in their home. Especially someone with children.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
Yeah I know housing is expensive here. I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a city that they can't afford- one where they would have to lean on programs and/or assistance just to get by. That's not fun. There's always Jersey etc. Just a thought....?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:03 PM

70 posts, read 206,391 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack

what's wrong with living in public housing??? I live in nycha and my apartment is amazing. There are residents of my building that work for the board of ed, department of health, correctional officers..and why would you want to rent a room from an elderly couple???

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-16-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City