Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM

58 posts, read 280,937 times

Advertisements

I filled out an application with NYCHA in January 2009 and was given a priority of W4. I then went in for my interview on September 2009 and because of a technical hold up with my background check was not found eligible until July 2010 at which point I was placed on a borough wide waiting list for Manhattan because my priority was upgraded to N1. It is now July 2011 and I'm still waiting to get an apartment. NYCHA says that because my priority is N1 I am on a waiting list for all Manhattan developments and the one that has a opening for a studio ( 0 Bedrooms ) apartment I'll be contacted for. Does anyone know how much longer I'll have to wait and how will I be contacted or any advice, knowledge or positive words? Help!

Last edited by TyHustle; 07-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Forget a phrase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM

21 posts, read 111,963 times
I am on the Manhattan borough wide waitlist as well with priority No1! Wow i thought this would be quick! So are u a vicim of domestic violence? I have never heard of anyone being on the borough wide waitlist this long! Wow! Are u an emergency applicant? Is ur working priority N1

Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeB87 View Post
I am on the Manhattan borough wide waitlist as well with priority No1! Wow i thought this would be quick! So are u a vicim of domestic violence? I have never heard of anyone being on the borough wide waitlist this long! Wow! Are u an emergency applicant? Is ur working priority N1
I am a Victim of Domestic Violence, so yes I am an Emergency Applicant... My priority is N1, which is not a working priority. The working priorities are W1, W2, W3 and W4. How long have you been Certified and are you still waiting.

I don't know...maybe its longer because I'm a single male without my son living with me... If I were female or had my kid living with me, I'm 100% sure I would've got it already.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM

25 posts, read 144,443 times
The NYCHA waiting list is a trickbag. Under priority N0 it took a friend of mines 3 months to be shown an apartment. It took me about 4months for my first offer. I turned it down because it was way too small. I was expecting to wait a few months but was called the next day to see a 1bedroom apartment. I'm only guessing but I would say a 3-6 month wait under priority N-0 and 6 -12 months for N-1.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMisfit View Post
The NYCHA waiting list is a trickbag. Under priority N0 it took a friend of mines 3 months to be shown an apartment. It took me about 4months for my first offer. I turned it down because it was way too small. I was expecting to wait a few months but was called the next day to see a 1bedroom apartment. I'm only guessing but I would say a 3-6 month wait under priority N-0 and 6 -12 months for N-1.
I hope your right because I've been waiting a little over year since my certification 7.22.11 so if your right I should be getting a call or a letter to see an apartment soon. Thank for the info!

A couple of questions... 1) were you shown a studio first and the. A one bedroom because the studio was too small or was it a small one bedroom you were shown first and a larger one bedroom the next day? 2) Were you applying as a single person or did you have a child or spouse at the time you were shown the apartment? 3) are you male or female because I think it's quicker if your female? And 4) What development did you get the apartment in, how long have you been living there and what is it like in terms of safety, shopping, school and availability of public transportation?

I know I'm asking a lot but I really need to know these thing... I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thank you a million in advance - Ty Hustle

Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM

I'm a single 21 year old man. I was originally shown a studio but it was like a 12ft by 8 ft room not even exaggerating and I'm 6'4. I applied through ACS and everyone but the housing assistant told me not to take it. It was Albert E. Smith houses, pretty safe and near Chinatown and Soho. My second offer was a 1 bedroom in Frederick Douglass Houses. Another fairly nice area. I've hung out around there late. It seems like Frederick Douglass buildings are moving in quite a few people in to 1bedrooms even with zero bedroom priority. I didn't get to choose a development though just a borough. I haven't got to move in yet because they need to repair the apartment. I paid my rent two weeks ago. When I was in my first meeting the assistant was saying lots of people are moving out of smith houses.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM

205 posts, read 977,690 times
Ive been waiting a year and a half for just an interview. W1 priority. How much longer do I have to wait? I call and they do not give me a time frame. My boro choice is brooklyn. In five months my apolication expires and I probably might not even renew it.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM

It's really case by case and even then random. It's almost like the lottery people wait for years. If you feel like your in the position to not renew and not regret it then go for it. I would rather live in a better location then the projects but I really have no choice if I want to live comfortably.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMisfit View Post
It's really case by case and even then random. It's almost like the lottery people wait for years. If you feel like your in the position to not renew and not regret it then go for it. I would rather live in a better location then the projects but I really have no choice if I want to live comfortably.
@TallMisFit, I see your situation is a bit like mine And I'm very happy for you. Hopefully they'll call me soon and I'll get the apartment. Oh yea, keeping my fingers crossed on getting a 1Br as oppose to a studio because I'm also tall at 6' 1", lol. What do you think my chances are of that happening and would it help to talk to the management office at your building to see I they can help?

@CityGrl13 I would suggest renewing your application and instead of putting you work... Put no job and street homeless with only a mailing address and you'll get a call shortly... After you get the interview then you bring you pays tub and whatever other proofs but at least you be gratified and in the system. You can write whatever on the application but be honest at the interview and remember they can only prove what their is proof of so don't say you are homeless if your in a subsidized or lottery apartment but if your in a regular apartment then say what you must. Also, working family is sometimes the last to be considered unless your looking for 4 or 5 bedrooms but don't be discouraged because as TallMisFit says its a case to case basis. I should have gotten my apartment because of my priority but I'm still waiting. GoodLuck

Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

TyHustle how long have you had N1 or is it N0 status?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery