Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,190 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am a mother in late 20s, of two little ones looking to move to Queens area from Michigan next spring. Hubby works in Manhattan and I am looking to get a job too. Can you please give some advice on which parts of Queens are best for small children and also what childcare and preschools run. We are looking to rent for a year or so before we can buy a home so that is also a huge ??? for me because MI rent is nothing to go by over there . I really would appreciate some insight on the Ridgewood, Maspeth areas. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,337,416 times
Eastern Queens, like Bayside, whitestone, douglaston

You are gonna need a car in those areas though

Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,190 times
Thank you NJ Chutzpah. I will look into those areas. It's so hard to really zone in from such a distance when looking to relocate but I am sure this site will guide me well.

What are the elem. schools like over there? Especially in those areas?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
The elementary schools in those areas are actually very good, as are many of the secondary schools. Be sure to also check into Forest Hills for a good neighborhood with good schools and a pretty convenient commute to Manhattan. Little Neck is also nice, and I believe that their elementary school district is the highest performing in the entire city. It's not inexpensive, however, but it's a great area and you also have an option of taking LIRR to Penn Station as opposed to the subway, as LIRR can be faster from Eastern Queens.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:53 PM

45 posts, read 114,102 times
Will you be keeping your car?

If you move close enough to the trains you won't need it. But keeping it will mean being able to move to less expensive but good areas that happen to be further out from the trains. Forest hills is a bit far.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Forest Hills is around 10 miles from Midtown, and on the LIRR it's like a 15-20 minute ride to Penn Station on a peak train. It's not like commuting from Suffolk County, now. If you want to use the subway, it's a little different a proposition, yes, but the subway will run $81/month for the unlimited ticket and the LIRR around $135 or so. It's not a huge difference for the time savings.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM

Keep in mind they may be charging $8 for anyone driving into manhattan during rush hour. I haven't been following that too closely since I don't have a car, but that's worth looking into for cost estimates. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think forest hills is 10 minutes from Manhattan during rush hour.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcriminal View Post
Keep in mind they may be charging $8 for anyone driving into manhattan during rush hour. I haven't been following that too closely since I don't have a car, but that's worth looking into for cost estimates. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think forest hills is 10 minutes from Manhattan during rush hour.
10 miles and I would not recommend driving it, since it would definitely take longer than the train. The LIRR is 15-20 minutes to Penn Station on peak trains, which is a much better proposition, where available, to get into the city faster than the subway, especially in the more traditionally suburban feeling Queens neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Yeah, new york traffic is the worst. If I lived out in Queens, I'd probably hang onto my car if I had one. That way I'd be able to save money shopping in bulk at costco. I have a cousin who lives in Woodside, but he still says having a car is very useful out there while he doesn't use it for commuting.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,503,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subcriminal View Post
Yeah, new york traffic is the worst. If I lived out in Queens, I'd probably hang onto my car if I had one. That way I'd be able to save money shopping in bulk at costco. I have a cousin who lives in Woodside, but he still says having a car is very useful out there while he doesn't use it for commuting.
New York traffic isn't the worst. LA, Houston, and DC have the worst traffic. Trust me. Many New Yorkers walk or take the train to work. My father's been taking the Metro North to work every day. A lot of people do, which decreases traffic. New Yorkers are the biggest train and subway users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City