Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 43,582 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm a single mom moving from upstate NY to the Bronx. I'm trying to find an affordable place in a safe neighborhood. I guess I've got a few questions:

Is Kingsbridge considered a safe area? Would one recommend raising a 3 year old around that area? I've been visiting a friend who live's on Kingsbridge Ave near 235th street. It seems low key, but is it really safe?

Are there any other areas that would be a comparable commute into 42nd street? 45-50 min on the subway is about all I'd consider.

On a side note, I'm also looking for daycare for my son. any suggestions on respectable daycare centers/child care would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
Default Parkchester

I can vouch for Parkchester (I live there and love it). They also have a day care center within walking distance of any apartment. (if interested, you can check out the Parkchester thread which will give you an idea of costs, amenities, photos, etc.)

Good luck in your search!

www.parkchesternyc.com

Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Kingsbridge is fine, above 231st and to the west of Broadway, excepting the area between Broadway and Kingsbridge Avenue. On 230th, the area borders part of the NYCHA Marble Hill Houses, and while generally not a haven of crime in the area, there are some loud and shady characters on the 230th Street side at times such that I'd not recommend it for a small child. In Kingsbridge, the main issue issue is the public schools that are not up to the same standard as nearby Riverdale, though there are some private academies and religious schools in the area that might be an alternative, depending upon budget, that are not up to the same cost level as the private schools such as Horace Mann and Riverdale Country Day. There are a couple of day care/early childhood education centers in the area, both in Kingsbridge and Riverdale.

The drawback of Riverdale is that it's a little removed from the subway, and you'd need to take a bus or walk to it, or take an express bus or MetroNorth to Manhattan, but it's worth it from a schools perspective. On MetroNorth, it would be about a 30 minute commute, however, and the express bus about 45-50 minutes, depending upon traffic. While much of Riverdale can cost more, there are some rentals in private multi-family houses that are not as epxensive as full-amenity apartment buildings.

If, however, Kingsbridge meets the budget in the short-term, you do have some nearby amenities that are good, and there are some private houses around the area, some of which are multi-family that may be more home-like than an apartment building. There are a number of parks in the area, including VanCortlandt that has everything including an equestrian center, and even more parks up the hill in Riverdale.

Many families live in the area, and both areas are characterized by a large number of owner-occupants, both in private houses and in co-operatives and condominiums, thus the areas are very stable, generally speaking. And, the 50th precinct serves both neighborhoods and keeps things pretty safe on the streets.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Kingsbridge isn't really a bad area. Maybe has a block or two there that you wouldn't want to be on. Kingsbridge Heights, around Kingsbridge rd is terrible. The higher you go the better.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:50 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
bmwguydc - for some reason I thought the bus ride to Riverdale took longer. This is good to know (as well as the short train ride). I have some friends asking about the area and I fear I was giving them incorrect information. That is one place in the Bronx that I have yet to visit. I have to get out there and check it out - especially the equestrian center. I'd like to see how it compares to the Bronx Equestrian Center off of Shore Drive (I was just there this weekend and was shocked to learn that there is not just one, but TWO places in the Bronx to ride horses!)

Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Yes, the buses are pretty quick to Manhattan, though there are days that can take a little longer. I believe from the extremes of the route, 261st St. to 34th St. takes around an hour to an hour and five minutes, which really is not too bad.

MetroNorth allows for commutes that are easy as well, both from Spuyten Duyvil station and Riverdale station. There's also a Hudson Railink bus service that shuttles people between the stations and several stops throughout the area.

The equestrian amenities are nice to have in the city, and the Riverdale Equestrian Centre at Van Cortlandt even organizes riding tours of Central Park in addition to the lessons and events at their home park. It's definitely a nice option to have in the area.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 33,867 times
Can anyone tell me about Kingsbidge Hieghts Condos - New construction? And what about the neighborhood?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 69,141 times
Everyone wants to live around the rich, to make themselves feel like they've accomplished something in life. But if you can't afford Manhattan, you damn sure can't afford Riverdale. Therefore, Kingsbridge is the next best thing. And if the schools are not the best, then get involved as a parent, and make it better. These stereotypes about the Bronx is history...just like Harlem. So what are you waiting for...soon all of New York will be too expensive...so you better buy now!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 69,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolt View Post
Hi there, I'm a single mom moving from upstate NY to the Bronx. I'm trying to find an affordable place in a safe neighborhood. I guess I've got a few questions:

Is Kingsbridge considered a safe area? Would one recommend raising a 3 year old around that area? I've been visiting a friend who live's on Kingsbridge Ave near 235th street. It seems low key, but is it really safe?

Are there any other areas that would be a comparable commute into 42nd street? 45-50 min on the subway is about all I'd consider.

On a side note, I'm also looking for daycare for my son. any suggestions on respectable daycare centers/child care would be great.
..when green monsters and goblins dwell there...then you'll have a logic answer. But if that is all you could afford, and working families live there...then it's a place you should consider. Da!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 16,415 times
I have lived on west 236th st. For the past 7 years. And it's a great low key area. Great mall opening up around the area and it's still not a busy place. I'm right across from 1 train and local.mall And just recently opened up my own Family Daycare in my lovely home. If you are still looking for a daycare please give me a call 718.975.0598 KNK Dragonfly Family Daycare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City