Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 PM

296 posts, read 734,454 times

Advertisements

Which one do you think would be the best option for a 20 year old male!?I have been in other threads and i have seen that parkchester has little to no nightlife that is a problem that i hope i can adjust to...Im a fairly quite guy "AT TIMES" yet i do want to move to a neighborhood in the BX that's fairly live at night...there would be no difference in moving to NYC from here if the neighborhood has no nightlife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Remember, both Parkchester and Bedford Park are both family-friendly neighborhoods, resulting in some type of opposition to the nightlife.

I think Bedford Park is a better option for you since there's access to Manhattan's East side (4 train), West Side (2 train), Coop City (the Bx25/26/28), South Bronx (Bx1/2/41/55), and Westchester (Bee-Line 4/20/21), and Riverdale (Bx1/2/10).

Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,290 times
Default Parkchester

It all depends on what you are looking for. I can’t speak for Bedford Park, but in my visiting different places in Parkchester for my site, I have come across much more in the way of nightlife than I previously thought existed. First, there are the bars at Step-In and Chicago Uno (though not my taste being older, they do seem to get pretty lively.) There are also several bars and bar/restaurants along Westchester Avenue that I was very surprised and happy to find. (Willie’s Steakhouse for example has a great bar and they play live music several times a week.) Also, I think about it like this – if you live in Manhattan, you don’t always stay in your neighborhood – you hop on a bus or subway to go out for the evening. Same thing with Parkchester. It is a very short bus ride from the Fordham University area and Little Italy, a short subway ride to Mott Haven for The Bruckner Bar and Grill, The Gallery Lounge, etc. Also, I will be checking it out over the weekend, but I think Throgs Neck (again – short cab or bus ride away) has some pretty interesting bars…) Again, yes – not really happenin’ in the way of nightlife, but with everything else you get – for some it is well worth the trade off. (And yes, I agree - Parkchester is very family-oriented and I don't see that changing anytime soon.)

Good Luck!

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-25-2008 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: No links to competing sites/blogs - please see TOS

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,397 times
Bedford Park is a great neighborhood, but not known for it's nightlife. I think the Jolly Tinker gets a mixed crowd with locals and Fordham students, but it's just hearsay since we've never actually been in. There must be other Fordham haunts within walking distance with a crowd your age. I've been trying to convince my wife to check out a couple of salsa dancing places on Webster Ave, but she seems to think that we'll embarass ourselves--which of course is true...

I've been through Parkchester and like the area as well. Transportation-wise, Bedford Park is probably more convenient, however.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Neither area springs to mind as being a hotbed of nightlife, but there are places within them that are open late. That said, both areas offer a good deal and if you like a larger, planned community, you'd choose Parkchester, and if you want a more traditionally developed neighborhood, Bedford Park.

What sort of nightlife are you seeking? If it's just a couple of neighborhood places that are open and such, you can find it. But, if you want nightlife such as one would experience in livelier areas of Manhattan, that's going to be a tall order for either neighborhood without commuting to/from the nghtlife.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
Bedford Park is a great neighborhood, but not known for it's nightlife. I think the Jolly Tinker gets a mixed crowd with locals and Fordham students, but it's just hearsay since we've never actually been in. There must be other Fordham haunts within walking distance with a crowd your age. I've been trying to convince my wife to check out a couple of salsa dancing places on Webster Ave, but she seems to think that we'll embarass ourselves--which of course is true...

I've been through Parkchester and like the area as well. Transportation-wise, Bedford Park is probably more convenient, however.
One of my old watering holes. Your description is accurate. Good place to chill with a pint of Guinness but doubtful as a hookup spot.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
There really isn't much of a nightlife in the Bronx. Well compared to the other boroughs at least. Your more than likely going to be hanging out at night mostly in Manhattan. In Parkchester outside of Step-ins and a few other local holes there isn't much to do. Don't know any places to hang in Bedford park.

I like both neighborhoods. I think Parkchester probably is a little better.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Which one do you think would be the best option for a 20 year old male!?I have been in other threads and i have seen that parkchester has little to no nightlife that is a problem that i hope i can adjust to...Im a fairly quite guy "AT TIMES" yet i do want to move to a neighborhood in the BX that's fairly live at night...there would be no difference in moving to NYC from here if the neighborhood has no nightlife!

The question is how much can you afford in rent and are you willing to live with roommates? It seems like the Parkchester option makes sense if you are looking to live by yourself and the type of rents there are what you can afford. Otherwise, if you're looking for youngster-nightlife, move to Williamsburg and live with a bunch of your same-age roommates.

What will you do for work?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 AM

296 posts, read 734,454 times
Well it seems to me that the only way to solve this problem is to check both of the neighborhoods out myself!

The advice you all gave was great and i truly appreciate it.

To bmwguydc im "Not really seeking" a nightlife I'm seeking a place that's not a ghost-town at night IMO i feel more comfortable when other people are around me while walking home late.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Well it seems to me that the only way to solve this problem is to check both of the neighborhoods out myself!

The advice you all gave was great and i truly appreciate it.

To bmwguydc im "Not really seeking" a nightlife I'm seeking a place that's not a ghost-town at night IMO i feel more comfortable when other people are around me while walking home late.
Hi Hip Hop, If you live in any part of NYC, you're never really going to be in a "ghost town." Even in the outskirts of the outer boroughs, one is only a hop and a skip away from activities including 24/7 places to eat, party, etc. And usually if you're near to public transportation like in the two areas mentioned, people will be walking home all hours as we are a 24/7 town with workers getting out of different shifts at different times of day and night.

And for access to entertainment, if you don't like hopping and skipping or have no rope to skip with, budget for a cab, own a car, use the subway or bus, rent a zipcar or rental vehicle. Now if you want to live over a bar or restaurant or within earshot of a disco, then you might need to narrow the field.

Hey, welcome to the Big Apple when you make that trip from D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City