Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

I would agree with that Sha83..good call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
I also agree with Sha.

In fact, I think some of the worst parts of neighborhoods are by the 4 train. The fact that there is alot of foot traffic, makes it ideal drug spots. 167th, Burnside, 183rd, Kingsbridge come to mind. This is the case for other trains too because on Simpson, 4 people were shot a couple days ago, and that was on the train station. It allows people a quick way out as well. I think residential areas are safer than commercial areas, but that just may be me.

Fordham rd isn't too bad. But thats Fordham rd. The lesser known streets are not helped by the elevated.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,107 times
When it comes to public transportation, 170th/Concourse is pretty good. An express bus taking you to Manhattan as well as the D and 4 trains. The crosstown Bx11 takes you to Washington Heights if you don't like the shopping options on 170th Street.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I work at a school that's right by the 170th st stop on the 4 train. I'm a white female and I never experienced any problems walking to and from the school over the past year (2 of those times were at night). Also, I know other white female teachers who walk back to their cars west of the Concourse (at night) and also never had a problem. Maybe they just don't bother the teachers in the area, I don't know. I've seen crime scenes a few times, that's about it. I wouldn't want to live in the area though. But I know of a para and a teacher who live in the area (west of Jerome ave, if that makes a difference), so it can't be all THAT terrible in the immediate area they live in.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Teachers have trditionally been "hands off" even in the worst Bronx neighborhoods. I know this from teachers who worked in Highbridge and other parts of the South Bronx and parts of Harlem. Part of it is respect for the profession and that teachers come into the area to educate the students, and the other part is that it would bring more attention to the area by the police if teachers are being attacked on the streets.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM

You're probably right. My fiance and I stopped at the KFC by the school before we went to my school trip to a Yankee game. We were dressed in street clothes and I got a few strange looks. It might not have happened if I were in my work clothes.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
You'll be fine in the area once you're known as a teacher. Some of the teachers I know were perfectly safe even going to Yankee games and walking on side streets, since the were known as teachers. It takes a couple of years, but when your students let people know who you are, it makes a difference, from what I have been told by veterans of the area.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Even last year during my first year, most people could probably tell I was a teacher. People were actually pretty nice to me on the street. Maybe they remembered me after a few months, don't know.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
It also comes down to keeping your nose clean. I take it Rachel that even if you lived in the area, you would not be hanging out with the homies at the bodega until 4am? And you would not be "chillin" in the front of your building smoking weed. And you would not be "starting beef" with your neighbor because "she thinks she is better than me" and "she talks mad sh** about you," etc. I have lived in these kinds of neighborhoods forever, and so long as you don't get involved with the animals, you really will not have a problem, regardless of your race, sex, or where you are from. If you surround yourself with the wrong people and/or do the wrong things, no matter what neighborhood you live in, you will have problems.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
The neighborhoods of the Grand Concourse are prime examples of urbinity.

Right now there is a lot of poverty, over the years smart investors will buy. Already happening. Over a longer period this will increase, full on gentrification. As it is, these neighborhoods are built up the best in the Bronx. Most similar to Washington Heights in build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: