Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Jax,
I'm curious, and a bit old fashioned, so I don't really understand. Why would you want to stand if someone very kindly offered you a seat? When a man offers me a seat, I see it as a way of honoring me.
Because sometimes I like to stand. I might take it if I was really tired, but I'm able to stand so why not? Give it to someone who needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
People must think I am totally insane though because when entering a train I will stand to the side if there is a lady present to allow her ingress to the car before I will get on it. I do this on MetroNorth all the time, and only on a subway when it's not crowded, since at peak times it's more efficient to keep moving. I also do this on an airplane if people are boarding at the same time as I am. And, I will hold an elevator if I'm the only person on it when I see someone else approaching.
Okay BMW so you're that fella that's always holding up the free flow of the lines as we try to rush home on the train or plane! Always holding a door for someone or waiting for a lady to go ahead and backing up our rapid transit system, uh?

Just kidding BMW. You're a scholar and a gentleman and put a good light for us fellas.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Because sometimes I like to stand. I might take it if I was really tired, but I'm able to stand so why not? Give it to someone who needs it.
Gotcha.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
God bless you! It's nice to know that there are still some men who think like you.

And that goes for all the rest of you who still behave like gentlemen. I vote that we clone you.
Thanks for the kind words, Marie. I do tend to be a little old fashioned myself, especially when it comes to manners and respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I'm with you on that one, Jax, hence why I usually stand myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Okay BMW so you're that fella that's always holding up the free flow of the lines as we try to rush home on the train or plane! Always holding a door for someone or waiting for a lady to go ahead and backing up our rapid transit system, uh?

Just kidding BMW. You're a scholar and a gentleman and put a good light for us fellas.
Thanks, Miles. Yes, I am the one who holds up the lines sometimes, but for good reason. It's a lot easier for me to navigate with a briefcase or messenger bag than it can be for ladies with their purse, tote bags, briefcases, etc. LOL

It reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago when I was standing aside at a turnstile so a lady could pass in front of me and this little weasely guy tried to push through. The next thing I knew, he was practically airborne by his backpack straps at the hands of this rather large and imposing gentleman who said in a booming voice, "I believe he was letting this lady pass. GOT IT?" The weasely guy basically just nodded, fearing a punch or something was next. And the imposing gentleman then inquired about whether or not his mother taught him any manners. I had to laugh, since it was one of those moments where the right person was there to give comeuppance to the person who deserved it.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
yup. anyone know when "brick" started being used for "cold"? does anyone aside from PR and DR use it?

The kids in my elementary say it's "mad brick" outside.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
yup. anyone know when "brick" started being used for "cold"? does anyone aside from PR and DR use it?
Russian, Ukrainian, Irish, Italian, African, Jamaican, Haitian, Trinidadian, Korean and Chinese kids from Brooklyn been saying that for years.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Jax,
I'm curious, and a bit old fashioned, so I don't really understand. Why would you want to stand if someone very kindly offered you a seat? When a man offers me a seat, I see it as a way of honoring me.
lol no offense, but why should you be honored?

So I should dishonor myself, just to honor you?

I think I am the ****.....but nobody honors me. Unless you are related to God, I am assuming that you are a normal person like the rest of us.

If a woman wants to get my seat, she has to do something for me. I wont say it on here but ....

Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
bet you pick up some classy ladies with that philosophy mario

Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
bet you pick up some classy ladies with that philosophy mario
Just because I refuse to bend over for women who think they have special priveladges?

This gets me so angry. I want to say something but it's going to get me banned, so let me shut up.

Get off your high horse.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
i was just kidding with you, it was a joke, take a deep breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City