Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 37,632 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am planning a day trip to NYC and I am looking for some insight into some really good ideas without a lot of the tourist fluff. It is a Christmas gift for my boyfriend who has never been.

I made a list of some of the things that I am interested in...

ESPN Zone (He would love to go there)
Madame Tussaud's

I want to check out the outside of certain places too
Rockefeller Center
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty

I am not looking for a lot of tours filled with information. For this trip I am looking for more of just fun ways to spend the day.

ALSO I would prefer if all of the Christmas decorations are up...not sure when this is?? The trip would be a Saturday...any help with places to see and where to eat and things like that from any true NYC fans would be amazing.

Thanks so much to everyone in advance.

Last edited by Beckers89; 11-03-2008 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Christmas decorations will be up at Thanksgiving.

I'm not a big fan of Madame Tussaud, either here or in London, but to each his own.

Going UP the Empire State Building is worthwhile, as is a walk through Grand Central Terminal (be sure to look UP) and the Chrysler building, which is just next door. Take a walk down Fifth Avenue, take in Tiffany's window and also consider taking a walk through Central Park.

One piece of advice: the traffic is BRUTAL, especially on Saturdays, at the holidays. Do yourselves a favor and use mass transit to get into the city.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I am thinking Nov. 29th and decided Beiber bus out of Kutztown would be best....it is like $50/person round trip.

I have been up the Empire State Building myself...and I loved it. I was considering taking him up.

I have never been to Madame Tussaud's, I am not sure if it is worth the $30 a person to see wax replicas of celebrities. Some of my friends have been and found it amusing.

You have been so helpful and it is really appreciated. The only other thing is a great place to eat dinner (ESPN Zone will prob be a afternoon lunch) and where to get amazing cannoli's. I have heard a few places but I am looking for the best.

Thanks again....

Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
The food at ESPN Zone is bad and expensive. The games are a blast though! Consider saving yourself a bundle and eating elsewhere. Even a hot dog on the street would be more fun than that and then you could blow more on dinner. The Sports Museum of America just opened downtown. Is that something he'd be interested in? It's on Broadway not far from Wall Street. I like to walk around there at Christmas because the NY Stock Exchange is beautiful. There is a giant American Flag made out of lights and a huge, decorated tree that you can walk under. The Seaport also does a nice tree. Not in the mall part, out on the cobblestone street.

Also if you go to Grand Central go to the whispering wall. It really works and it's a fun little secret. Here's some info TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL

Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 44,229 times
Default Day Trip

Hi,

I would recommend going to top of the rock rather than empire state as queues will be bad unless you fast track and the view from the top of the rock means you can get pictures of the empire state!

It depends on what you want to do but if you only have a day then I would section the day off into areas to visit as you don;t wanna be travelling up and down the city. The best way to see NY is to walk but you may need to take a cab if you are only there for the day. The famous Christmas Tree will be outside the Rockefeller Centre as will the ice rink. You are also near Radio City and Central Park is a must.

If you are there for breakfast I would recommend Ellen's Diner on Broadway or if you wanna spend a bit more money book the Marriot Marquis revolving restaurant. You feel a bit sick after a while but the views are great.

I would start off at Empire State and then walk up to ESPN and Times Square, grab a hot dog for lunch from a street vendor then walk up from Times Square to the Rockefeller Centre. Then up fifth Avenue to Central Park. I would ditch madame tussaurds as you can do that in London they are all the same.

If you are there on a night and you sticking to midtown then I love the west side midtown restaurants and there are so many to choose from or go the Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Have fun.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM

Another question would be the best routes to take. 5th ave would be one...How about Broadway or Park...maybe 6th ave?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Best routes to where?

And forget about taxis. With the awful traffic on Saturdays, it'll be incredibly costly. Get a one day unlimited MetroCard.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM

I am planning on walking the places that I can. I am trying to determine a good flow of the things I would like to do. I am just not sure what streets would be best. I have a list if anyone wants to be ambitious enough to plan out the order, it would take a lot off of my shoulders.

Here is a list of the things I would like to see throughout the day.

Rockefeller Center
Times Square
Empire State Building
5th Ave.
Grand Central Terminal
Chrysler Building
ESPN Zone
Central Park
The Rock
I am thinking about the Sport Museum too....it seems like something we both would really enjoy.

I also would like maybe a few choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I read the comment above about breakfast and am thinking Ellen's. Lunch I want to keep at more of a minimum so we can have the funds for a fantastic dinner.

The bus will get in NYC at 10 at the latest and We will leave at 9 at the earliest.

One more note: If there are things that are better at night with the Christmas decorations (lights, etc.) I would like to take full advantage of that. I am thinking Rockefeller Center will be something to see at night with that ENORMOUS tree.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

By the way everyones comments have been so helpful with ideas for places to go and things to see and I appreciate it so much and want to thank you all.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 41,558 times
The Rockefeller Tree is lighted around Dec. 5th... a must. and I would take in the top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center...it has more class in the structure and the outside 360 degree views of the park are the best in town. I would also not miss a walk through the entire length of Central Park..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City