Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,504 times

Advertisements

My TV died. I came home after work and tried to turn it on. Nothing. Weird cause it turned on that morning. Anyways I was thinking of taking it to sears to get it repaired. But before I do that...

Does anyone know of a reputable TV repair service in the BX?? I would like it fixed by someone trustworthy and at a decent price. I think sears is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Don't want to buy another TV since this one is only five years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
There's a television repair shop on W231st St. between Kingsbridge and Corlear called Riverdale Audio. I have not used them for television repair, personally, but they do seem reputable. Unfortunately, having not used them to repair a television, I don't know about their prices, but they might be able to give you some type of an estimate on the phone.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 AM

What did you take to get fix?? Was the price for that reasonable?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
Only 5 yrs old? It might make more sense to buy a new one rather than repair. This repair is going to cost you well over $100.00 with no guarantee that you will have more issues with it later on.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Only 5 yrs old? It might make more sense to buy a new one rather than repair. This repair is going to cost you well over $100.00 with no guarantee that you will have more issues with it later on.
and with the models rapidly changing and regular tv morphing into digital and hdtv, it'a a whole new world of tv's out there.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Yeah only cause my sister has a tv that lasted twice as long. I'm not into having the latest and newest thing out there. And if I get a new tv the same size (i think 36 inches) i'm sure its going to cost another $500 and up. Could I go smaller? yeah but for that I just continue to use what I have.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Yeah only cause my sister has a tv that lasted twice as long. I'm not into having the latest and newest thing out there. And if I get a new tv the same size (i think 36 inches) i'm sure its going to cost another $500 and up. Could I go smaller? yeah but for that I just continue to use what I have.
It is your call,just don't be shocked when they tell you the price to get it fixed. What brand of TV is this?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM

phillips. well depending on the price I'll decide. If it costs $200 or more then I'll buy new. I just hate it when things break and I didn't break it. Hopefully it will be something minor that has to be repaired.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
What did you take to get fix?? Was the price for that reasonable?

Thanks for your suggestion.
They repaired a component for a relative of mine, and I think the price was reasonable, since they didn't complain about it and didn't have to run out and buy a new one.

I know what you mean about televisions lasting longer than 5 years. I have a couple that are 8 years or older, and still going strong. Yet, I have been through three replacement plasmas/LCDs (one tv replaced twice and one tv replaced once) for failures/display issues. The scary thing is that the one that has been replaced twice is supposedly a top brand. Well, at least the warranty is a good warranty on that one.

Sometimes it can be a minor repair that's a reasonable cost, but over a certain value, as others have said, you're better off with a new set.

Give them a call and see what they can offer. I found their number since the last time I posted. It's (718) 796-2368.

Edit: Another thing to consider is that you can still get an "old school" television that's digital for a really reasonable price at many stores. It might actually be cheaper to buy a new "old school" television than to repair the one you have, depending upon the size. I'd consider that option as well, from places like K-Mart, Costco, BJs, Target, etc. Check out their online selection, since I noticed when buying another television for my kitchen a couple of weeks ago that some were well under $200 for a good sized set.

I wanted a smaller set, so I paid significantly more for a 19" LCD. It's hard to find a small LCD, though, with a decent picture, but the buys on the bigger CRT sets seemed quite good.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks again for the info BMW!!!

update...I called the repair service. He said it was $45 to check it out. That sounded okay but then I called sears to see what they said. They charge $75 flat rate for labor. But you have to pay 30 upfront to have it checked (non refundable of course). And then the cost for parts.

Is the price for parts expensive?? I know it depends on what the problem is but generally speaking.

Last edited by mir_ny; 11-12-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City