Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM

46 posts, read 254,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
The car was really blown up, but thats the least of the problems in Bensonhurst. There is plenty of graffiti in Bensonhurst on 86th street, 20th ave, cropsey ave YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Xaverian the high school you went to is in Bay Ridge. People hang out in front of their buildings in Bensonhurst, THEY DO THE SAME THINGS that any other neighborhood does.
I live in Flatbush cuz I love its energy, its close to Brooklyn College, and close to my mothers house. And yes I am in an interracial couple and I feel much safer in Flatbush than in Bensonhurst considering its violent past.
You don't know what you are talking about. Your ignorance is quite entertaining. You seem to suffer from a false consciousness.
Bro, I know but there are a lot of guys from b'hurts who went to Xaverian. Ok, that explains it you're in an interacial relationship. The average white person wouldn't choose to live in e flatbush. And it doesn't compare to dyker heights,bay ridge,or b'hurst. I was in an interacial realtionship for 2 yrs. My ex was from taiwan. Nice girl and she would never live in e. flatbush. I'm glad you like it there, be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 PM

I have worked in flatbush and e. flatbush. On several occasions I have heard people say "white boy" as I am working. I usually turn around to acknowledge them and they don't want nothing. Should I consider this racism? I don't. I guess they see a 6' 1" white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes and feel a need to say something. It's nothing major but lets me know this is not my area.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:58 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
I have worked in flatbush and e. flatbush. On several occasions I have heard people say "white boy" as I am working. I usually turn around to acknowledge them and they don't want nothing. Should I consider this racism? I don't. I guess they see a 6' 1" white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes and feel a need to say something. It's nothing major but lets me know this is not my area.
Yeah but you went to a black funeral.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,254,819 times
Quote:
B'hurst doesn't have a racist reputation. I live in a bordering negihborhood. I'm 23 and I have never heard of that. There are plenty of asians in b'hurst. Sometimes people create stories of racism.
How's the view from that bubble?

Old 11-20-2008, 02:18 PM

quote=Joe Bama!;6243938]Yeah but you went to a black funeral.[/quote]
Why would I lie about something like that bro? It was a supervisor from my job. And yes, he was a nice guy from a good family. I just think it sucks how people make certain areas seem racist or white trash. The whole white trash concept is stupid anyway. What are all blacks trash? I can rember guys from xaverian listening to biggie smalls. The racism was mostly in the 60's. This is a new generation. Generally speaking, people live where they feel comfortable. I didn't appreciate being called a bigot. My mom is a big Will Smith fan. My parents told me about the old racism. It sucks and I'm glad it's over.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,718 times
Quote:
quote=Joe Bama!;6243938]Yeah but you went to a black funeral.
Why would I lie about something like that bro? It was a supervisor from my job. And yes, he was a nice guy from a good family. I just think it sucks how people make certain areas seem racist or white trash. The whole white trash concept is stupid anyway. What are all blacks trash? I can rember guys from xaverian listening to biggie smalls. The racism was mostly in the 60's. This is a new generation. Generally speaking, people live where they feel comfortable. I didn't appreciate being called a bigot. My mom is a big Will Smith fan. My parents told me about the old racism. It sucks and I'm glad it's over.[/quote]
I can't tell if your serious or just trying to get a rise out of people.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,678,288 times
Quote:
B'hurst doesn't have a racist reputation. I live in a bordering negihborhood. I'm 23 and I have never heard of that. There are plenty of asians in b'hurst. Sometimes people create stories of racism.
The reason for his posts is right in here!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 AM

877 posts, read 2,769,312 times
This was an interesting thread. Bensonhurst has probably changed over the years but from a native's perspective, I doubt that I would ever feel comfortable in the neighborhood due to it's violent, racist past. I remember a co-worker that lived in B'hurst when I worked at the Dime on Mermaid Ave in Coney Island and he would always state how he wanted us to hang out in B'hurst but that it would not be safe to bring me around there. B'hurst, Bay Ridge, Howard Beach are all areas that you knew, if you were Black, that you did not go into.

Nowadays, neighborhoods are changing but I would still be careful due to the old guard still being around albeit in smaller numbers.

Back to the OP, East Flatbush is okay. There are some isolated incidents that do occur but on a whole, there are not too many major problems. I have a co-worker that lives in that area and he has not complained about it and he doesn't appear to be thinking about leaving the area at all. FWIW, he is White guy from the Mid-West (Michigan, I believe) and it was surprising to learn that he lived there but neighborhoods are changing and as long as you are comfortable in your own skin and respect the culture of whatever neighborhood you move into, things should be cool.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 AM

78 posts, read 316,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
This was an interesting thread. Bensonhurst has probably changed over the years but from a native's perspective, I doubt that I would ever feel comfortable in the neighborhood due to it's violent, racist past. I remember a co-worker that lived in B'hurst when I worked at the Dime on Mermaid Ave in Coney Island and he would always state how he wanted us to hang out in B'hurst but that it would not be safe to bring me around there. B'hurst, Bay Ridge, Howard Beach are all areas that you knew, if you were Black, that you did not go into.

Nowadays, neighborhoods are changing but I would still be careful due to the old guard still being around albeit in smaller numbers.

Back to the OP, East Flatbush is okay. There are some isolated incidents that do occur but on a whole, there are not too many major problems. I have a co-worker that lives in that area and he has not complained about it and he doesn't appear to be thinking about leaving the area at all. FWIW, he is White guy from the Mid-West (Michigan, I believe) and it was surprising to learn that he lived there but neighborhoods are changing and as long as you are comfortable in your own skin and respect the culture of whatever neighborhood you move into, things should be cool.
The white guy in bensonhurst would have to be an out of town liberal type. No native white new yorker would live there. The olde bensonhurst was great. You don't have too many neighborhoods like that anymore. I don't think it was so much racism, rather that we wanted to keep our nabe from becoming another bed stuy. I'm probably older than most of you.I can remember when everyone in bensonhurst knew eachother. If not,they knew your aunt,uncle,or sister. Nyc has changed so much it's awful.I think half of bensonhurst moved to staten island. East flatbush hasn't been a nice area in decades. Flatbush was once all Jewish and very nice. The people got out of there fast when they saw the direction it was going.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 AM

78 posts, read 316,500 times
Quote:
quote=Joe Bama!;6243938]Yeah but you went to a black funeral.
Why would I lie about something like that bro? It was a supervisor from my job. And yes, he was a nice guy from a good family. I just think it sucks how people make certain areas seem racist or white trash. The whole white trash concept is stupid anyway. What are all blacks trash? I can rember guys from xaverian listening to biggie smalls. The racism was mostly in the 60's. This is a new generation. Generally speaking, people live where they feel comfortable. I didn't appreciate being called a bigot. My mom is a big Will Smith fan. My parents told me about the old racism. It sucks and I'm glad it's over.[/quote]
Did your parents tell you about the racist blacks as well? How much has good old Xaverian changed? Btw, who is biggie smalls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City