Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:27 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,494 times

Advertisements

I guess you could say I grew up in "The Projects" ! My family moved to a housing project in Brooklyn - East New York, when I was around 4 years old. I think the name of it was "Kingsboro" ? or maybe my memory fails. When I was 14 or 15 years old we moved to The Bronx to the housing project called "Highbridge"; I'm sure of that name! (I graduated from Taft HS).

Well, now that I'm old - the Projects experience remains in my distant past and I sometimes wonder what they are like today. The current thread regarding crime in those communities is over 15 pages long..... too much for my old attention span

Remember, there are still good people living in The Projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
the man who founded starbucks grew up in a project in brooklyn

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Highbridge Gardens on W 167th and University ave, aren't terrible. But they do suffer from many of the same ills that plague projects.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,312 times
It depends on the development, architecture and policy are really the only constants.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I guess you could say I grew up in "The Projects" ! My family moved to a housing project in Brooklyn - East New York, when I was around 4 years old. I think the name of it was "Kingsboro" ? or maybe my memory fails. When I was 14 or 15 years old we moved to The Bronx to the housing project called "Highbridge"; I'm sure of that name! (I graduated from Taft HS).

Well, now that I'm old - the Projects experience remains in my distant past and I sometimes wonder what they are like today. The current thread regarding crime in those communities is over 15 pages long..... too much for my old attention span

Remember, there are still good people living in The Projects
I totally agree with you ConeyIsBabe, I lived in the projects on the Lower east Side in the Gompers Houses and I have many good friends that grew up in the projects throughout the city.
Their is a misconception in NYC and especially on this forum that the projects are the worst place on earth.
The housing projects are the last place in NY to ind truly affordable housing. The families that I know from the projects are truly hard working and caring families with strong morals.
The stigma that is attached to Housing projects is quite detrimental to those living in them. It holds them back from their full achievement possibilities.

Most of the people that have this negative opinion of the projects have never been in them or had friends in them. Its disturbing and they should be ashamed for perpetuating the negative stigma.

Good post ConeyIsBabe, we need more people like you in NYC.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,821 times
Of course there are good people in the jects, doesnt negate the fact that crime rates are higher there compared to wealthier negihborhoods.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Of course there are good people in the jects, doesnt negate the fact that crime rates are higher there compared to wealthier negihborhoods.
It is a collective social responsibility of ours to change that- not sit back and point at it. Pointing at only makes the situation worse. Perpetuating the stigma only makes the situation continue in that direction.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
It is a collective social responsibility of ours to change that- not sit back and point at it. Pointing at only makes the situation worse. Perpetuating the stigma only makes the situation continue in that direction.
Yea change is needed deifnitely. Its not really pointing, its more acknowledging the facts. The negative stigma is there for a reason. Its up to the community to change it.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
You HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME.... please say you've been punked.... Those "people", CHOOSE a life of crime. If you're 18, you're robbing people, joining gangs, why is that MY RESPONSIBILITY? Also, if the mothers cannot afford one child, then logically it follows she would not be able to take care of four. I think condoms can be obtained for free from the clinics right? A good portion of these kids come from homes with little to no parental care; what the heckck are 14 year olds doing on the train at midnight "hanging out"?

Don't even get me started on the type of "fathers" they CHOOSE. In their teens, they make fun of the studious, well behaved types, calling them nerds and lames (see tiger woods) , worshipping the gun packing and class cutting thug. They go on to have kids with the thugs then become surprised when the thug doens't become a "father". HELLO? he's a thug!!!!!!!!!! Making such a mistake once can be understood but 3, 4, kids by men of the same profile cannot be excused!!!!!

These kids are nothing but products of the worship a thug foundation so they can dig into their coffers for "support".

Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,494 times
Talking bx718

As the OP, my thread was meant to be a positive commentary of The Projects.

When I moved out of Highbridge at age 19..... the year was 1957 so I have no knowledge of what the Projects are like nowadays and you are probably in a better position to describe them.

However, it would be really interesting to hear from people who have grown up in the Projects and moved on to a productive life !,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City