Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,868 times

Advertisements

I think your best option would be to go to a broker. I know it will cost you some $, but then at least you know what is available to you at your price range. I don't think its impossible if you all are willing to spend $1500 a month. The only thing that might be difficult is trying to find a real 3 bedroom apartment. Its not that common to see them in Manhattan unless they are condos.

Make sure that you are also budgeting for utilities, cable, groceries, laundry and other living expenses before you have a final dollar amount that you can spend on rent. Also, there are taxes and all of that which take a good chunk out your salary. Unless you are making $80k+ a year, you are not going to take home enough to spend that much on rent. I think as long as you really work out the numbers between the 3 of you and make sure that you have some money saved before you get here, you could do it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 9,115 times
Our place really isn't huge, but it's sufficient.
It's a bit of an awkward layout, so hard to say exact square footage, but I'm going to guess its 400ish sq feet.
I'm sure to some ppl that seems like a shoebox (and maybe it is), but for a young professional wanting to be in the center of it all I was more than happy to sacrifice a little space to be in a great location.
Maybe it’s because I came down here expecting the worst for apartments, or maybe I’m just used to it, but I can say in all honestly the place doesn’t even seem overly small to me.

It's not a converted 2 bedroom, with one of those half walls thrown up, I was told it was "gut renovated" so I'm thinking they more or less started from scratch with walls, etc.
Both bedrooms do have windows, separate entrances off the main room (not rail road style), no closets but that was easily remedied with a cheap wardrobe from IKEA.

[SIZE=3]I’m happy to answer any other questions people may have about my experiences moving to this amazing city.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Happy Holidays![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: