Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM

106,965 posts, read 109,241,493 times

Advertisements

i think we beat this topic to death the last few days .......next topic"""" man oj got 15 years

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,582,950 times
With all respect to everyone aboard, this thread has swiftly become a bashing ground for disgruntled owners/landlords with unrealistic charts and assumptions who would do away with rent regulations and thus enlarge their already full coffers at the expense of the ordinary, working class citizens of this great city.

We now have aboard three landlords decrying the status quo as legislated by our elected officials to protect and maintain a system of equity and fairness for all New Yorkers, not just out of control, greedy landlords who would just as well chase every non-luxury paying tenant out of town and turn NYC into a bigger money-making machine than it already is for them.

If you three have gripes about the existing laws, rather than coming aboard with your incessant rants against existing laws, why don't you write your congressman or state legislator; don't turn a well-intentioned call to rally to protect hapless, hard-working citizens from landlord exploitation into a forum for propagating anti-tenant venom and as a means to line your pockets with more silver and gold.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 12-05-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
Umm no...Miles I am not sure if you just enjoy writing long essays for your own amusement or whether you actually subscribe to your blatantly biased comments. "Landlords looking to do away with rent regulations and thus enlarge their ALREADY FULL? coffers?" Come on now...that is ludicrous..what we have been explaining, since you clearly have not been reading, is that we need a BETTER system. The system is rife with abuse, and is hurting ALL NYers..regardless of whether you own or rent. Why support a system that encourages a lifestyle that people neither need nor deserve at the expense of everyone else? Whats wrong with living where you can afford and paying a fair rent? Same goes for paying fair prices for housing...it is ridiculous to pay $4 million for a single family home in brooklyn...we need a new system as the current one is hurting too many just for the benefit of a few. So please restrain your accusations of "incessant rantings" when in fact we are discussing an important topic that effects us all. We are discussing possible solutions to making this better. If you are so bothered by this discussion, please do not enter it!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM

My coffers are soooooo full id never be a landlord again for the return ,,,,ever ...once these apartments are sold all gone ,no more, bye bye to the headaches ,greif and low return on investment...........

Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,501,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
With all respect to everyone aboard, this thread has swiftly become a bashing ground for disgruntled owners/landlords with unrealistic charts and assumptions who would do away with rent regulations and thus enlarge their already full coffers at the expense of the ordinary, working class citizens of this great city.

We now have aboard three landlords decrying the status quo as legislated by our elected officials to protect and maintain a system of equity and fairness for all New Yorkers, not just out of control, greedy landlords who would just as well chase every non-luxury paying tenant out of town and turn NYC into a bigger money-making machine than it already is for them.

If you three have gripes about the existing laws, rather than coming aboard with your incessant rants against existing laws, why don't you write your congressman or state legislator; don't turn a well-intentioned call to rally to protect hapless, hard-working citizens from landlord exploitation into a forum for propagating anti-tenant venom and as a means to line your pockets with more silver and gold.
Let me ask you this miles.
Why should other people pay for your rent?
Once you have answer this you could have a better argument

Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM

The question is why should someone else trying to earn a living absorb your below market value rent?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Let me ask you this miles.
Why should other people pay for your rent?
Once you have answer this you could have a better argument
It happens that no one is paying for my rent....but I gladly pay my share of taxes for things I don't use personally but that I believe will help others and keep America the way it is. Any taxes of mine that go for helping cops, nurses, firemen enjoy living in the city they serve I gladly pay. I also enjoy having my taxes go for infrastructure including roads, highways, bridges, tunnels that I may never use but that keeps America strong and capable, vigorous and competitive.

I applaud taxes that go to help the needy, the underprivileged, the hapless worker just laid off, the returning soldier, the development of harbors, ports, airports - structures that a hapless, ordinary, non-traveled, stay-at-home person like me will never use, but which I appreciate having in our great country and which will serve my family, relatives, friends, fellow citizens, in their sojourns.

And yes, I even support the efforts of government and regulatory agencies who once a year evaluate landlords' and tenants' claims and usually end up awarding hefty sums to the former to help meet their rising costs and allow them a profit which they then use to take a ride out on those highways and bridges for a well earned respite - all paid with my taxes, for which I bear no grudge.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
You did not answer the question Miles...why should other people pay YOUR rent? Not cops rent, nurses or other such exceptions to what is actually happening regarding rent stabilization...YOUR rent. I'd like to know.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,501,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
It happens that no one is paying for my rent....
So you are not living in a controlled apartment?

Quote:
but I gladly pay my share of taxes for things I don't use personally but that I believe will help others and keep America the way it is. Any taxes of mine that go for helping cops, nurses, firemen enjoy living in the city they serve I gladly pay.
Taxes and rent controll is different. You are trying to mix them when they are not the same.

Quote:
I also enjoy having my taxes go for infrastructure including roads, highways, bridges, tunnels that I may never use but that keeps America strong and capable, vigorous and competitive.
Again, rent controll has nothing to do with taxes.
And you are not helping people that need apartments, but helping all sort of people that dont deserve the apartment.

Quote:
I applaud taxes that go to help the needy, the underprivileged, the hapless worker just laid off, the returning soldier, the development of harbors, ports, airports - structures that a hapless, ordinary, non-traveled, stay-at-home person like me will never use, but which I appreciate having in our great country and which will serve my family, relatives, friends, fellow citizens, in their sojourns.
Again, try to stay on the subject.

Quote:
And yes, I even support the efforts of government and regulatory agencies who once a year evaluate landlords' and tenants' claims and usually end up awarding hefty sums to the former to help meet their rising costs and allow them a profit which they then use to take a ride out on those highways and bridges for a well earned respite - all paid with my taxes, for which I bear no grudge.
What??
You really have a strange view of what America should be or is...
Also, since plenty of americans dont want it, then why should we be forced to?
Oh and what about the 40% of the people that dont pay taxes?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You did not answer the question Miles...why should other people pay YOUR rent? Not cops rent, nurses or other such exceptions to what is actually happening regarding rent stabilization...YOUR rent. I'd like to know.
Will you re-read my answer if you want to have an intelligent discussion or possibly stay away from the thread if it bothers you so much that it's affecting your reading comprehension?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City