Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 AM

294 posts, read 839,459 times

Advertisements

If the City raises people's taxes a half a percentage or whatever to make this program available, then so be it! We as a PEOPLE and as a WHOLE should all take the financial burden and not just place the whole financial burden SOLELY on the landlord's shoulders...it's not fair!

Why should Landlords act like a CHARITY? That's the City's responisblity to dish out money to the less fortunate NOT Landlords.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
DAS that is not the only way for it to happen...but it is a common way for it to happen because defaults have been so common due to (guess what!) rents that are so out of wack with expenses. At one point I had a strong interest in becoming a large property owner (10+ units) but the Value to Rents are so crazy that the only way to purchase is by effectively losing money for years in the HOPE that in 10 years the value increases enough to offset the losses from rent, repairs, taxes, utilities, etc. And the only ones able to lose globs of money for years are those with deep pockets who have the least interest in the Tenants and community. It is an unfortunate circumstance that is hurting everyone, including the Tenants.
This post is absolutely correct except the last sentence. Chances are if you live in a rent stabilized apt you are not getting the best. But this is what tenants have to settle for if this is all they can afford.

For landlords they know or should know what they are getting into. The scenario that you have so eloquently described has been going on for about 50 years now. I could not afford to buy an entire building in NYC, however I have checked into it. I am alway dreaming big. However I don't want to dream dreams that cannot possibly come true.

So I did my homework concerning NYC properties and I spoke to some very successful people that got out of the landlord business in the 70's because they were able to see that the tide was turning. Some stayed in it, and starting loosing, and then sold. But I knew it was not something that I could do. I don't have it like that to buy let alone loose.

So if these people have enough money to buy only these types of properties they certainly have a lot already. They should build up more money and buy better properties with all market rate tenants. This way even if the neighborhood changes, they don't have to put up with non and low paying renters. They already have the experience where they were able to build enough wealth to buy those buildings, they should have sold like the others that saw the tide turning, if they bought early on. The ones that bought later on did not do their homework. The information was all out there.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
If the City raises people's taxes a half a percentage or whatever to make this program available, then so be it! We as a PEOPLE and as a WHOLE should all take the financial burden and not just place the whole financial burden SOLELY on the landlord's shoulders...it's not fair!

Why should Landlords act like a CHARITY? That's the City's responisblity to dish out money to the less fortunate NOT Landlords.
the burden is on the landlord's shoulders because they own it. if they cannot afford to provide the services then they have a problem.

FYI, the landlord does not have to renew a person's rent stabilized lease if they file what is called a GOLUB notice.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
the burden is on the landlord's shoulders because they own it. if they cannot afford to provide the services then they have a problem.

FYI, the landlord does not have to renew a person's rent stabilized lease if they file what is called a GOLUB notice.
What is a GOLUB notice and what are the grounds for that to be operative?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

a Golub notice is a notice of the non-renewal of the tenant's lease. it must be served to the tenant by a process server no less than 90 days, no more than 150 prior to the end date of the lease. you file the notice in court and get an index number, then wait 5 months before the lease is up, and get a process server to serve it. then if the tenant doesnt move before the lease ends, a warrant of eviction is issued, and the marshal executes the warrant.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
a Golub notice is a notice of the non-renewal of the tenant's lease. it must be served to the tenant by a process server no less than 90 days, no more than 150 prior to the end date of the lease. you file the notice in court and get an index number, then wait 5 months before the lease is up, and get a process server to serve it. then if the tenant doesnt move before the lease ends, a warrant of eviction is issued, and the marshal executes the warrant.
Thanks for explaining.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Thanks for explaining.
oh, forgot one thing. the landlord cannot accept the rent from the tenant from the time when the notice is started in court otherwise that jeopardizes the notice.

so although a long process, i just gave the landlords firepower, even though i'm for rent stablization.

I used to work for a landlord-tenant law firm.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,828 times
He explained nothing
If you think he explained something, miles, you're even dumber than he is

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
so although a long process, i just gave the landlords firepower, even though i'm for rent stablization.

I used to work for a landlord-tenant law firm.
and here I was thinking what a swell guy you are!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:

From a quick search at Tenant.net, it looks as though the GOLUB notice is applicable only for landlord who suspect that their tenants aren't using the apartment as their primary residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City