Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:02 PM

40 posts, read 195,826 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i'm moving to Bushwick next friday and the apt. needs to be furnished (couches, mattresses, dishes, etc). Do you guys know where i can find cheap prices on these things? I was thinking of the Chelsea Market for dishes but i have a feeling it's gonna be expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Go to Knickerbocker Ave around Himrod St....there are several discount home goods type stores there, great prices.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
You can also go up to Broadway, starting from Gates to Flushing. There are numerous stores on that stretch and you can find lots of inexpensive things that are of decent quality.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Kmart and BJ's Wholesale Club, and possibly a furniture store that may have replaced Levitz (Levitz went out of business) at 6626 Metropolitan Ave in Queens. Pretty close to Bushwick as the crow flies, but may be a pain on the subway since only the M train goes there. But if you are buying a whole lot of stuff at one time you are going to need to take a cab home anyway.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

18 posts, read 60,080 times
Look on Craigslist for apartment sales for things like couches, tables, dressers, etc. but be careful of mattresses . . .

Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco View Post
Hey guys, i'm moving to Bushwick next friday and the apt. needs to be furnished (couches, mattresses, dishes, etc). Do you guys know where i can find cheap prices on these things? I was thinking of the Chelsea Market for dishes but i have a feeling it's gonna be expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
On the topic of "being careful" about buying used furniture, be super careful. Bedbugs are rampant in a large part of NYC, and used furniture is home to most of them.
Go new all the way...but super discounted new. lol

Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM

quote=jjbradleynyc;7425752]On the topic of "being careful" about buying used furniture, be super careful. Bedbugs are rampant in a large part of NYC, and used furniture is home to most of them.
Go new all the way...but super discounted new. lol[/quote]

Haha, good call. I'm not buying matresses for Mod cut: languagein craigslist, but i'm really considering getting a futon from there. You can get a nice almost new futon for less than $100 in craigslist. Now i have another thing to think about, i need a cheap and trustworthy delivery service. DOES ANYONE KNOW ONE??? Consider that i'm just gonna move a futon from one place to another so i don't need a huge truck or anything like that, HELP!

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-12-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Try to line up all your shopping in one day, then rent a small Uhaul. There is a gas station on Flushing Ave. just past Irving Ave. that rents Uhauls at decent rates. Otherwise you might find someone advertising moving services on CL too.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco View Post
Haha, good call. I'm not buying matresses for Mod cut: language in craigslist, but i'm really considering getting a futon from there. You can get a nice almost new futon for less than $100 in craigslist. Now i have another thing to think about, i need a cheap and trustworthy delivery service. DOES ANYONE KNOW ONE??? Consider that i'm just gonna move a futon from one place to another so i don't need a huge truck or anything like that, HELP!
Bedbugs do not know the difference between a futon and a mattress. For that matter, they don't really know the difference between a mattress and a table or a book or a rug either. They live in people's homes - in the walls, floorboards, furniture, linens etc., not just people's mattresses.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-12-2009 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Good point Henna, i think i should just walk on Steinway and find the cheapest new futon i can find, plus it'll save me the time on finding a delivery service since most of these stores deliver, thanks again for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: