Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 22,549 times

Advertisements

Is this a good area? Or maybe a once bad area now coming back? The apartment I saw was near the corner of Decatur and Knickerbocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 22,549 times
Default Safety of L Train late night, for a single woman

Would the L Train be safe on late weekend nights (closing time 4 clubs), going from Manhattan or Bedford Avenue to a theoretical apartment near Wilson Station?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Yes the actual train ride would be safe. The area around Wilson Avenue on the L is not safe at that time of hour, however.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
The L train is pretty safe, despite all the youtube videos of fights that always seem to be on that particular train. However, that section of Bushwick is one of the more crime ridden parts of the neighborhood. If you absolutely must move to Bushwick. move north of Myrtle Avenue.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 PM

55 posts, read 127,158 times
That's way too close to Broadway Junction and Chauncey. There was a NYTimes article about kids getting robbed and assaulted in their own apartment around there. One woman said she was late for work because she had to wait for the gunfire to stop to walk to the train one morning. This was only a year or two ago.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 AM

105 posts, read 322,701 times
I live on this stop. Moved here two years ago. The area is changing rapidly and daytime and evening walking is perfectly safe (as NYC goes). L train is fine. At this point, it's feels too sketchy for me to walk around after 2 am; but I'm 40, and I don't need to do that any more. But there has been a huge increase in young folks (hipsters or whatever), and I see people coming an going from that train at all hours, so there are young people like you commuting on a "club schedule" now. Personally, I think we're a few more years our before late-nights will feel comfortable, once all the vacant and abandoned buildings around the stop get renovated and occupied by working people. Three of them are under renovation now, for instance, so it's happening at a fairly rapid pace. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ Tkak you're seriously saying KNICKERBOCKER AND DECATUR has a bunch of hipsters now? And you talk about me exaggerating... Wow... I have no comment for your posts anymore... The ridiculousness is beyond words... I'm in the area plenty and I can tell you that is one of the worst areas in Bushwick... Majority of the major crimes that take place in the area happen around there... Anything after Myrtle and Wyckoff ave (Halsey, Moffat, Bushwick aberdeen, Broadway Junction, etc. is bad... And personally, walking around there (I don't go by the five white people that live there as an indicator of safety...) I felt safer 2-3 years ago than I do now... I even spoke about the changes back then, but it seems as if now, crime is on the rise in the neighborhood especially around there...

And for the record, PLEASE I URGE YOU... Don't go by subjective opinions... Just look at DNAinfo.com if you have a subscription and check compstat and look at the 83rd precinct... Other than I believe one less murder than last year (which had already seen a dramatic increase)... every other major crime category has reported an increase this year from last year... Best bet, if you do want to move to Bushwick is to be around the only hip part of the neighborhood which would be borderline East Williamsburg... Morgan/jefferson/dekalb L train stops... Other than that, Bushwick still ranges from shady to avoid if you can past 8pm...

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,496 times
I personally live off Myrtle/Wyckoff. I'm part of the "gentrification" of that area, I suppose. I technically live in Ridgewood, closer to the M at Seneca or Forest (equidistant), which is way bettersaferquieter than most of Bushwick in my opinion. As the above poster mentioned, north of Myrtle is much safer. I work very long hours and come home very late at night often, so I wanted somewhere I could walk from the train at 2am as a 5'3 girl and feel safe. I never really found that in Bushwick... at least not the parts I could afford. Next stop on the L train, Halsey is becoming gentrified. Has several nice developments, and I have a few friends who live there. But I personally don't feel as safe walking down the streets there at night. And then Wilson... is well, in my opinion, not gentrified. Even if a few kids have moved there, it is at the very beginning stages of becoming 'good,' unlike its counterparts earlier on the L line.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygizer View Post
I personally live off Myrtle/Wyckoff. I'm part of the "gentrification" of that area, I suppose. I technically live in Ridgewood, closer to the M at Seneca or Forest (equidistant), which is way bettersaferquieter than most of Bushwick in my opinion. As the above poster mentioned, north of Myrtle is much safer. I work very long hours and come home very late at night often, so I wanted somewhere I could walk from the train at 2am as a 5'3 girl and feel safe. I never really found that in Bushwick... at least not the parts I could afford. Next stop on the L train, Halsey is becoming gentrified. Has several nice developments, and I have a few friends who live there. But I personally don't feel as safe walking down the streets there at night. And then Wilson... is well, in my opinion, not gentrified. Even if a few kids have moved there, it is at the very beginning stages of becoming 'good,' unlike its counterparts earlier on the L line.
If you live in Ridgewood you are not part of the gentrification LOL... Ridgewood is not ghetto... Maybe to people living in Ohio or Iowa it may be classified as such because of all the hispanic and working class European folk but Ridgewood is not ghetto at all and has a significant working class white population...

And yea Halsey has one development on Eldert St but other than that Halsey is still a long way to go from being a good area... It has improved in recent years however but is still shady...

Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Anon 100% agree. I am telling you I probably know that section of Bushwick the best out of the entire neighborhood....it was an adventure walking from that park on Halsey Street to the liquor store on Schaefer and Wilson at 7:30 PM on a summer night a few years ago. It's been a minute since I felt like I had to have my "third eye" open. Matter of fact that's the last time I felt like that, and I recently walked thru ENY from the PJs on Linden Blvd to the A train at 4 AM and I didn't even feel like that when I did that!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City