Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times

Advertisements

NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | Police Search For Greenwich Village Muggers

I can't believe how much press coverage this story has been getting. You'd think these guys were killing people instead of mugging them. Does anyone honestly think it would get this much coverage if it was happening in Harlem or Bed-Stuy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
One word: no.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I agree that it would not get as much coverage if it were in a more disadvantaged area. Part of what I have noticed, however, is that the crimes seem to be occurring when people are letting their guard down, believing the hype that Manhattan is as safe as a small town. One victim's account that I read in the paper stated that she thought something was amiss when the people turned the corner, who turned out to be the thugs who mugged her. People should be as vigilant in SoHo or the UES as they would be in a less expensive area, since property values alone do not prevent street crime.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Not surprising

For past ~15yrs, NYC (and every other major city in US) have been remarkably free of street crime in upscale areas where many live/work....

NYC, as epicenter of the financial meltdown, will likely have increased street crime and reduced police protection in a setting of a declining tax base for next few yrs until financial industry stabilizes and recovers

Many have forgotten why many affluent in '70s-'80s preferred to live in affluent suburbs; drive everywhere; and avoid cities, except for employment in certain industries based in urban centers...and for occasional dinners at elite restaurants

Have lived and worked in cities throughout my career....and, even in Manhattan earlier this decade, would always drive from point A to B for office or dinner, etc....common sense suggests walking, mass transit or cabs increase one's risk of becoming a street crime victim, even in supposedly upscale areas....one's own car is much safer and more comfortable in any urban region than "communal" approaches to travel....and cars and garaging costs are a hell of a lot cheaper than cost of surgeries and disabilities post-violent mugging....

Old 12-14-2008, 01:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Have lived and worked in cities throughout my career....and, even in Manhattan earlier this decade, would always drive from point A to B for office or dinner, etc....common sense suggests walking, mass transit or cabs increase one's risk of becoming a street crime victim, even in supposedly upscale areas....one's own car is much safer and more comfortable in any urban region than "communal" approaches to travel....and cars and garaging costs are a hell of a lot cheaper than cost of surgeries and disabilities post-violent mugging....
The prospect of carjacking in tough times sometimes makes even the most elite descend on the subway to participate in one of those "communal" approaches you refer to.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Another point re: your suggestion to use a privately owned vehicle in lieu of communal forms of transportation to avoid being mugged in the Village or elsewhere.

If I recollect from your posts in other threads, you personally had a vehicle that experienced, shall we say, constant breakdowns, etc., on the highways.

Now, city driving is a bit tougher and I'm assuming you upgraded your model and year of vehicle. After all, an unreliable vehicle in the city to avoid the costs of surgery, etc., to which you refer, may defeat the purpose. One may well find that both one and one's vehicle may be in need of repair if one's vehicle cannot be depended upon to outrun one's attackers.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
Quote:
common sense suggests walking, mass transit or cabs increase one's risk of becoming a street crime victim, even in supposedly upscale areas....one's own car is much safer and more comfortable in any urban region than "communal" approaches to travel....and cars and garaging costs are a hell of a lot cheaper than cost of surgeries and disabilities post-violent mugging....
There was a study done a couple years ago which debunked this idea. They found that most Americans' chances of getting injured/killed in a car crash are actually higher than their chances of getting injured/killed by a criminal.

People feel safe in a car because they have their hands on the wheel and control the vehicle personally. It's not that driving a car is actually safer than any other way to get around. Plane crashes are so rare that they make national news. Plane rides are a common fear despite the fact that airplane travel is extremely safe compared to other modes of transportation. People die in car crashes every day and most people don't bat an eye.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,353 times
My fiancee told me once that we had a higher chance of being struck by lightning than dying in a plane crash. Do you guys think thats accurate? And to hsw... being in a car in economic downturn makes you more of a target especially if said car is nice and pricey... carjacking is a very common type of theft you know.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:46 PM

187 posts, read 674,914 times
I've heard foreign cars are especially likely to be targets, as the parts are harder to come by and therefore worth more money to thieves.

I think part of the reason people are so nervous about planes is because when a plane crashes, it's never pretty. If you're lucky, it'll happen somewhere close to the ground; you'll have a chance of surviving if you can fight off your fellow passengers well enough to get out of the plane. If, however, something happens at 35,000 ft.-- say, a bomb goes off midflight-- you have almost a zero percent chance of surviving, even over bodies of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City