Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 70,351 times

Advertisements

After 10 years of living in Westchester, my husband is pushing for us to move to Manhattan. He grew up in the city and has grown to hate the burbs / his commute.

Kids are boys - 8 and 11... any thoughts on best places to live in the city... how would it be to live there with kids?

Anyone else has done this sort of reverse thing - move into the city with kids?

Thanks for any input.

Syl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM

100 posts, read 628,736 times
Does he neccessarily have to live in Manhattan?

If so...I think I would recommend somewhere near the river. Possibly the West Side. Either which way your kids will be sent to private school...so location does not matter. I know there is a lot of parks in that area...and the West Side Highway provides convenient access to Westchester (should you still be working there).

Take a look into outer boros if you are looking for something more family oriented.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I would choose to live somewhere with good open space close by. My first pick of neighborhoods would be the Upper West Side because you have Central Park, Riverside Park, the Natural History Museum. Inwood at the upper tip of Manhattan is also a great place to live, but much more affordable. Both neighborhoods are full of parents and kids. My kids are younger-3 and 6-but we find there is so much to do in the city. Its also nice that you don't have to get in your car to go to the grocery store. I find having kids in the city is more intense than how I grew up in the suburbs-I'm with them pretty much all the time when not at work. I don't know at what age I would let my kids go out without me, but I was allowed go around with my friends from the age of 4 in the suburbs (although I don't think people do that anymore for fear of abduction.) Anyway I love having a family in the city and I think kids who grow up here have an advantage in the diversity of people and experiences that the city has to offer.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:08 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I grew up in the city. And, yes, it's certainly possible. But the school issue is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. You either have to move to a neighborhood with good schools (you can research this) OR you can get your kids tested and interviewed and take out some loans for private schools. And apply to a LOT of schools - my manager and his wife only applied to three schools for their son (who's bilingual) and had to leave NYC because he didn't get in to any of them. And legacies/connections don't help any more.

HOWEVER, I went to private school (albeit MANY, many years ago) and got a GREAT education, went to an Seven Sister college and an Ivy medical school. They do teach you how to learn.

It's immaterial where you live in Manhattan - it's all accessible so easily. But the schools are critical.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
East 81st between 1st and 2nd, good neigbhorhood, loved it there

Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
East 81 is nice, but it's the SCHOOLS when you've got kids...unless you have tons of money. Private school is almost as costly as college now.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 28,389 times
Default UES - East 80s

I agree with carolinajack. The upper east side (east 80's is great). central park nearby, carl schurz park the other direction, excellent private schools (worth the $$), stores, restaurants, everything. we love it.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:06 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Don't forget the outer boroughs:

Brooklyn:

Bensonhurst
Bayridge
Sheepshead Bay
Midwood
Borough Park
Park slope
Willamsburg/Greenpoint

Queens:

Everything except SE Queens, Rockaways and Corona

Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
You may have seen this article in the Times. I thought it was very interesting.

In Surge in Manhattan Toddlers, Rich White Families Lead Way - New York Times

Bottom line seems to be: if you got the $$$ and no more than 2 kids, it can maybe work out . . . .

Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 24,240 times
Default NYC schools

NYC has some of the best public schools in the country - Bronx School of Science, Stuyvesant. But the admissions process is grueling. The private schools are gossip girl garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City