Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,867 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I received am exciting job offer on Broadway. I would be moving from Chicago, where I live in a huge one bedroom for $900/month in a prime downtown neighborhood and have a nice car. It is freaking me out as I look at apartments on craigslist! I can't decide whether or not to take the offer as I am afraid of the pricieness.

My salary will be starting at only $50k. In your expert opinions, is this doable living in NYC without a roommate (am looking for studio)?

Also, I would need an apartment as soon as I move as I start work in 2 weeks! Yikes! Would it be impossible to find a place in such a short time? (maybe easier because it's winter and bad economy)

Thanks for any advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysistara View Post
Hello:

I received am exciting job offer on Broadway. I would be moving from Chicago, where I live in a huge one bedroom for $900/month in a prime downtown neighborhood and have a nice car. It is freaking me out as I look at apartments on craigslist! I can't decide whether or not to take the offer as I am afraid of the pricieness.

My salary will be starting at only $50k. In your expert opinions, is this doable living in NYC without a roommate (am looking for studio)?

Also, I would need an apartment as soon as I move as I start work in 2 weeks! Yikes! Would it be impossible to find a place in such a short time? (maybe easier because it's winter and bad economy)

Thanks for any advice!!!
see the topic below on living on 100k in a 2800.00 a month apartment

Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Also, please see the thread at the top of the board, 'Need info on moving to NYC.' You can most definitely LEAVE the car (or, better yet, sell it). You won't need it here.

And congratulations on the job.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysistara View Post
Hello:

Thanks for any advice!!!
Congrats!

On 50k, check out Queens for a nice studio or small 1 bedroom. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
You can do it, especially if the opportunity is worth it for your future. Don't try to replicate a lifestyle that you currently have, and look to create a new one for yourself. As long as you're not limited to one specific neighborhood, you can find a place in a decent, safe, quiet, etc. area that will let you take the opportunity and make the city work for you.

Best of luck with the new job!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Yes, you can do it without a roommate, but you should look for a studio in an affordable neighborhood, such as somewhere in western Queens or perhaps the Bronx.

If I were you I would look into starting off in a sublet (there should be plenty this time of year since many people go away for holidays). This will enable you to get started in your job and you can use weekends and maybe after work to figure out what neighborhood would be good for you to live, and to find an acutal apt.

I wouldn't bring the car if I were you. If you can't sell it quickly, is there anyone who could store it for you in Chicago while you get things sorted out?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,459 times
VERY EASY to do if your by yourself, im planning to live on 35k in Brooklyn which is very possible. it runs about 1k a month for an apartment in bk, 300 a month on groceries, 200 a month for utilities including cable and phone etc.., bout a 200 a month in miscellaneous spending (dining out, newspaper) , about 100$ amonth in transportation (or 63$ if you do the monthly card), and that’s all your necessities
This amounts to about

21,600 dollars for the year

on my salary that would leave me about 6000 dollars to spend on stuff like
haircuts, clothes, gadgets , etc….

now on your salary you would be able to live nice and comfortable.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,459 times
also if you save money before you pay bills or do anything with your money you create this illusion. you make 50K which is like 38k after taxes if you were to take out 20 % of your check to put in your savings every time you got paid (around 30k range) you would start to notice that you can live off of 30k paycheck to paycheck (as if you werent already doing this when you had 38k) and in fact it would be as if you were living off of 30 k to begin with after about 3-4 years living paycheck to paycheck (as most nyers do) you would also notice that your bank account is fat. and after a good amount of years saving without knowing your saving you would be able to put down money for a house in NY, IMPOSSIBLE ISNT IT!!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
It's not always easy, but it's definitely possible. My 1BR apartment in Inwood (upper Manhattan) was $1,050, plus about $50/month for electric.

Don't pass up a Broadway job (in the performing arts, I assume???) because the city seems so expensive -- IMHO, it's the opportunity of a lifetime!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:35 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,472 times
You can get a studio in Astoria for about $1000, it's only 10 minutes from Midtown with the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City