Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:00 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

like most politics its all smoke and mirrors to get votes... let the public think we are giving them a good thing and no matter how it turns out we look good... remember the book the emperors new clothes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM

294 posts, read 839,459 times
I would like to know why NY politicians don't use the successful result from Massachuttes when they completely abolished rent stabilization from their state with NO rent increases and higher homelessness issues that NY Tenant advocates fear will happen if they abolish rent stabilization in NY.

What happened in Mass. is ACTUAL, real life situation and not speculation or ASSUMTIONS that Tenant & rent stabilization advocates try to feed to the public. They are all liars. If it worked in Mass., then it will work in NY.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Its because in NYC there are too many loudmouths and "civic" organizations that will sue, drag things in courts for years, and it would be political suicide as it is totally unpopular to 75% of NYer because they are either taking advantage of the system and/or do not understand why it is hurting everyone. It is really tragic and the city would be so much healthier and more dynamic if Politicians had the Moderator cut: nerve to do the right thing instead of doing the right thing for themselves.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM

No one has a "right" to rent control. If you can't afford to pay the rent, then live somewhere else. I can't afford to eat lobster. I don't go into a restaurant and demand price control on lobster. I choose a lower priced item.

This country has such an entitlement mentality.

You are only entitled to Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT of Happiness. Notice that it doesn't say the ACQUISITION of happiness. Only the PURSUIT of it.

No one is calling for the poor to be put out on the streets. But we also don't have the right to demand of a single person (a Landlord) to SUBSIDISE what other people want.

If New York voters want ARTIFICAL low rents, then let the voters pay a tax and send that tax to the Landlords to make up the difference between what he would get in rent on the open market and what he currently gets under rent control laws.

That would be the FAIR and RIGHT thing to do.

Ah, but we're not talking fair...we're talking about voters who want to do "good" for the poor, but want SOMEONE ELSE to make the sacrifice.

Like I said before, if a lack of housing is a PUBLIC problem, use PUBLIC money to fix it (tax payer money) even if the City has to increase the tax 1% or 2% to cover the new expense. Then so be it.

DON'T use PRIVATE money out of the landlord's pockets to fix a PUBLIC problem. And the Rent Stabilization Law does just that. It FORCES landlords to do so. They have no choice.

In reality, us landlords are actually subsidising the diifferance on the Tenant's behave. So the landlord is acting as a CHARITY. Now how is that FAIR to landlords?

Yet the nerve of all these Pro-rent stabilization, Tenant advocates bashing landlords, smearing our image and saying ALL landlords are GREEDY. When they don't even know what REALLY goes on and how unfairly we get treated.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Thats an interesting rant. I agree with your argument, but also believe that nothing is 100% free market..and most things that are close to free market...well you know what usually happens. Everything is regulated so that we can have as close to a free market as possible...sounds weird but its true. I agree that some regulations are necessary for the housing market (like everything else), and I also believe that it is in the greater good to provide basic shelter, healthcare, and education to everyone....as a basic right. I also see the value in making special arrangements for those that are the backbone of the city (cops, fire, educators, city workers of all kinds, etc), and who do not make the salary to provide a decent life for a family, so affordable housing is necessary and good. That being said, that does not mean you get to live where you want at the price you deem fair and reasonable. The rampant accusations about Landlords, the politicians pandering to Tenants (in Public, behind closed doors with the cameras off is another story) and encouraging the divisions and hostility for votes, as well as the "I deserve" mentality (instead of the "I earned") are the real problems causing the housing crisis. When politicians get REAL and have the courage to do what is right, instead of what is popular at the moment (or succuumb to nonsensical threats by loudmouths), will we ever solve the housing problems in the city. Until then, Tenants will get a free ride and laugh, while Landlords foot the bill and working NYers suffer through artificially high rents on the few remaining apts.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
I wholeheartedly agree with a_better_bronx's rant. I am all for subsidizing housing for the poor, just not out of the landlord's pocket. This should come from the government in the form of public housing and section 8 vouchers. If you qualify for a section 8 voucher then you can get some help toward your rent, but if you're for example an accountant making six figures, then why should you pay my father $500 to live in an apartment that is worth $2000??? In effect, the landlord is being asked to subsidize this person's heat and hot water, which often costs more than the rent they get from the rent stablized tenant, who in many cases earns more than enough money to pay his fair share. That's a true story and its totally unfair.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
No one has a "right" to rent control. If you can't afford to pay the rent, then live somewhere else. I can't afford to eat lobster. I don't go into a restaurant and demand price control on lobster. I choose a lower priced item.

This country has such an entitlement mentality.

You are only entitled to Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT of Happiness. Notice that it doesn't say the ACQUISITION of happiness. Only the PURSUIT of it.

No one is calling for the poor to be put out on the streets. But we also don't have the right to demand of a single person (a Landlord) to SUBSIDISE what other people want.

If New York voters want ARTIFICAL low rents, then let the voters pay a tax and send that tax to the Landlords to make up the difference between what he would get in rent on the open market and what he currently gets under rent control laws.

That would be the FAIR and RIGHT thing to do.

Ah, but we're not talking fair...we're talking about voters who want to do "good" for the poor, but want SOMEONE ELSE to make the sacrifice.

Like I said before, if a lack of housing is a PUBLIC problem, use PUBLIC money to fix it (tax payer money) even if the City has to increase the tax 1% or 2% to cover the new expense. Then so be it.

DON'T use PRIVATE money out of the landlord's pockets to fix a PUBLIC problem. And the Rent Stabilization Law does just that. It FORCES landlords to do so. They have no choice.

In reality, us landlords are actually subsidising the diifferance on the Tenant's behave. So the landlord is acting as a CHARITY. Now how is that FAIR to landlords?

Yet the nerve of all these Pro-rent stabilization, Tenant advocates bashing landlords, smearing our image and saying ALL landlords are GREEDY. When they don't even know what REALLY goes on and how unfairly we get treated.

can i steal this post....very good!

seeing what the gov't did to housing i think ill pass on socialized medical

Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Anyone remember Cyndi Lauper's attempt to have her rent (at the famous Apthorp Building) reduced to below $1,000? The building has since been sold and approved for conversion to condos, with units priced well into the millions. Ouch.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM

215 posts, read 661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with a_better_bronx's rant. I am all for subsidizing housing for the poor, just not out of the landlord's pocket..
Well, not out of my own pocket either. If you're all for subsidizing housing for the poor, send them a check, don't make ME - or other reluctant taxpayers - pay for your favorite charities.

There are far more worthy charitable causes out there than entitled bums who want to live in New York City.

NO GOVERNMENT MONEY for housing for the poor! We have people dying by the million in other parts of the world, kids dying of cancer right here in this country.. and they want me to pay for some grouchy old [censored] to continue living in Manhattan?

No thank you. Let me choose my own charities. Get the government out of charity business.

And if you want the poor to be able to afford New York, send them your own money. Not mine. Not the landlords'.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
can i steal this post....very good!

seeing what the gov't did to housing i think ill pass on socialized medical

Thanks Math for the compliment.

There's no comeback any TENANT ADVOCATE can say to what I just wrote because deep in their hearts, they know it's true because I raised a good point.

The most they can say is "why did you buy a rent stabilized building if you knew it had rent restrictions?" That's the SAME OLD LINE they use when they're backed against the corner...lol

And I have a reply ready in case they dare to ask. LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City