Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Personally I prefer LA/California for the climate and NYC for all the positive characterstics enumerated so well by the posters. I've been in a dilemma on how to reconcile these two positions for me personally.

Solution: Live in NYC and take Florida as a winter home.

Others have to work out the best scenario for them. It's really an individual thing - one city might be better for a specific person and the other for another. But the discussion on the pros and cons of each city has been good here as each individual can evaluate the differing perspectives and try to see which city is the better match.

Good luck to the OP in doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I don't want anyone to think that I am knocking New York City in any way. I also am aware that there is a lot more state north of the city than many in even Los Angeles are not aware of. I think that New York is an exciting place to be. Would love to spend a year there getting to know what it is like year round. Personally I think most people should experience different kinds of living arangements, parts of the country, ways of life, if they have the ability and means. The one thing that I love most is to get into a car and take a drive down the coast or up the coast. I love having an airport near by where I can hop in my plane and fly somewhere else. I love having the ocean near by for the surfing, sailing, and other things that I love to do. I love being able to do all these things any time of the year that I choose. For me the Los Angeles area, or 60 miles north west of it, is the perfect life for my lifestyle. Saying that New York intrigues me. Would love to see what it is like to live in the city. Would love to be around endless tall buildings. Would love to feel the energy that is associated with New York. Like many this is a lifestyle choice though. It is nice to hear why people love the area they call home.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
It's a matter of personal preference, but IMO its NYC easy. LA has nice weather but the thick cap of smog ruins it.

Cali is a beautiful state though. IMO San Diego and San Fran are nicer overall cities than LA.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM

16 posts, read 35,268 times
NY! i need my seasons

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's a matter of personal preference, but IMO its NYC easy. LA has nice weather but the thick cap of smog ruins it.

Cali is a beautiful state though. IMO San Diego and San Fran are nicer overall cities than LA.
I seldom see the smog that many refer to. I know its there in LA but from what I see Bakersfield an hour and a half north has more smog than LA.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
Ask me this again in a year. Been in NYC for ten years, had my fill and I am relocating to LA this spring. I'm very much going in eyes open and looking forward to a change.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I seldom see the smog that many refer to. I know its there in LA but from what I see Bakersfield an hour and a half north has more smog than LA.
Very true, LA smog is not as bad as people make it out to be, especially those from the East Coast. Yes, there are bad days, but it's not always like that, and when the smog blows out and the hills are clear, it's really gorgeous. There is a haze, but that's nothing exclusive to LA, as you can find that in many places in the country, especially in the summer. Phoenix actually seems to be about the worst to me.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I think smog in LA depends on your neighborhood. If you're up on a hill it's better. If you're stuck down in a little valley, or against the base of some hills, it can be bad.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Mark_Mark View Post
I think, that New York more suits for residing! And you as think?
New York is easier to make money at than LA. There's a desperation in LA that's very sad. I've lived in LA five years, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm moving back to NYC at the end of this month. Yeah, I know the financial crisis has put the city in a tailspin, but trust, THERE ARE NO JOBS IN LOS ANGELES. Unless you're willing to live 5 to an apartment and share a bedroom with a total stranger (I've seen ads for this), then it's fine.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I think smog in LA depends on your neighborhood. If you're up on a hill it's better. If you're stuck down in a little valley, or against the base of some hills, it can be bad.
That's true, it can be very bad in Pasadena at times, which is a shame, since that's a neat little city. And, I have been able to see the red ick over the hilltops on the far side of Mulholland during especially bad days. However, from what I have been told by old timers, it's actually improved a bit. But then, you can be on the PV Peninsula and not have any at all, so it's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City