Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 40,817 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I think the conversations about Midwesterners wanting to live the New York "dream" and locals who are defensive of their city is kinda funny. I'm from the armpit of this state, and while it's very nice in the suburbs, I've become super tired of needing a car to get anywhere. Our downtown is also garbage, or most of it.

NYC is within reach because it's six hours away. I didn't like Boston when I went, and I think crime is worse in DC. Living in Lake County in the '80s as a kid did nothing for my impression of the Chicago area, either. It's good for a visit to the museums, I guess. Everywhere else is too far away and/or too car-oriented.

When I visited NYC this fall, I instantly fell into a love-hate relationship with the place. I hate the Manhattanites pushing each other over in midtown, but I love the trains and all the foreign culture that's everywhere. Living in a tiny apartment and all that doesn't phase me. MONEY is the problem! *lol* With that said, it'll be a ton of work if I really decide to go down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
New York City is the American capital of glamour: high fashion, publishing, advertising, music, dance, theater, etc., etc. This will always attract certain types of individuals.Real old-time New Yorkers live in places like Massapequa, anyway. Today's typical New Yorker is a member of an immigrant community. Seems funny whining about "transplants" when around 60% of New Yorkers are immigrants and children of immigrants.

Yes but nowadays most of the "transplants" are different than the older immigrant families to NY in the sense that they have no culture, they are wonderbread people from middle america who used to go to wal mart and eating microwave meals in minutes, and now they have grabbed a trust fund from somewhere and are frolicking around manhattan going to juice bars and playing out this fantasy that they are the new yorkers.

What used to make manhattan so special was all the different cultural groups with their own sections, today it has become a playground for a lot of cultureless middle american "generic" people. And as a result, the only "culture" they have is this fake starbucks and juicebar, fashion one.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
as a born and raised NYer, I can't wait to leave. I can see why people from other places feel that is a place they would want to live though.

It's just not for me. Everywhere is CROWDED, a lot of it is dirty and dingy, and the weather sucks 90% of the time. This snow is the absolute worst, who wants to be trapped inside their house for days on end??? Not to mention how depressing it is. There are actually places where it is nice out most of the time, hard to imagine living here.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
as a born and raised NYer, I can't wait to leave. I can see why people from other places feel that is a place they would want to live though.

It's just not for me. Everywhere is CROWDED, a lot of it is dirty and dingy, and the weather sucks 90% of the time. This snow is the absolute worst, who wants to be trapped inside their house for days on end??? Not to mention how depressing it is. There are actually places where it is nice out most of the time, hard to imagine living here.
Sounds like a relocation to the West Coast will suit you best. Although hardly anybody is "trapped" in their house whenever it snows, I think you are really exaggerating on that. I actually like that NYC has 4 distinct seasons of the year. It gives me an opportunity to enjoy winter and summer activities, and spring & fall are great for building the anticipation that leads to summer and winter.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
While a neat place to visit... I'll stick with Florida... you jsut had 2 ft of white stuff... my white stuff is sand...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
While a neat place to visit... I'll stick with Florida... you jsut had 2 ft of white stuff... my white stuff is sand...
...and coke.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sounds like a relocation to the West Coast will suit you best. Although hardly anybody is "trapped" in their house whenever it snows, I think you are really exaggerating on that. I actually like that NYC has 4 distinct seasons of the year. It gives me an opportunity to enjoy winter and summer activities, and spring & fall are great for building the anticipation that leads to summer and winter.
Funny you say that, I'm planning on a move to California in the next few years. Can't wait.

I used to enjoy the seasons too, now I feel like we go right from freezing cold to sweltering heat.

And I absolutely was trapped in my house in the last blizzard (but I do have to say, it usually isn't like that), the clean up by the DSNY was atrocious, missed two days of work. Guess the Mayor was too busy cleaning his cash cow, Times Square, for all the tourists.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

The weather alone is enough to make me want to leave. You can never plan an outside event because you never know the weather.
We only get a handful of really comfortable days through the year, all the rest is too hot, cold, damp, snow, wet, humid...

Outside activities are only limited to a few months during the year.
I am so sick of bundling up all the time just to walk up the block for milk...ugh it is so tired already!!!

California blows NY away for light years.......

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM

148 posts, read 271,224 times
It's seeing new York as an outsider,you can seem to be able to pick up every feeling straight away! I got off the plane and couldn't wait to be there. Once inside the city its as if it swallows you up.every noise every smell.
The diversity of new York is second to none. I am also so aware all this comes at a price,its so expensive.
I heart NYC

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

The weather alone is enough to make me want to leave. You can never plan an outside event because you never know the weather.
We only get a handful of really comfortable days through the year, all the rest is too hot, cold, damp, snow, wet, humid...

Outside activities are only limited to a few months during the year.
I am so sick of bundling up all the time just to walk up the block for milk...ugh it is so tired already!!!

California blows NY away for light years.......
It's so true. I am sick to death of the winter already, and it's only January. More snow predicted for mid-week. It's enough to make you want to scream.

Meanwhile, my friend out in San Diego posted pictures of the hiking trip she took last week and the pictures were AMAZING. I am not embarrased to say I am so jealous! It's just not healthy to be stuck indoors all the time. I feel like I have one cold after another in the winter, and then the summer is unbearably hot (this past summer was just awful, humid like Florida). Spring lasts a total of what, 2 weeks? Fall too.

I just keep telling myself I will be out of here soon enough, and it gets me through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City