Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 AM

16 posts, read 29,934 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are coming over to New York early in 2009 to have a good look around. We have no children. And we have been looking at rental apartments in New York. I have been looking at Upper East Side and Upper West side. Only need one bedroom. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to differences in apartments - with doorman, "walk ups" - does this mean just you can get access from road easily - walk up?, studio or one bedroom. in Australia we usually have own furniture not furnished - so is it possible to rent one unfurnished? Love tree lined images from sex n the city movie - I think this is the upper east side or west side? Is this a nice area. Have seen apartments - studio and one bedroom on upper east side and west side around $2000 or $2500. Want to be near Central Park area. We were thinking of coming in mid 2009 also and staying for one month in short term rental in upper east side maybe so we could get a feel for living in new york, before making huge move and leaving our life behind in Australia.
Sorry to write so much - just dont know much and wanted to find out informed details from people who live there and know.
thank you for any info at all.
Is this a nice area of New York - Upper east side or west side? Appreciate any enlightenment on living there please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
First of all, UWS and UES are both great neighborhoods to live. I lived in UWS a few years back and I loved it. Its easy to get to the happening spots from UWS such as HK, Columbus Circle, Chelsea and what not.

Second, you should not have any problem finding a studio for 2000 or 2500 a month in either place.

Third, walk up means there is no elevator. It means that if you live on the second or third or fourth floor, youd have to walk up. If you need to move furniture and groceries (rare occasion, i know cuz I ate out most of the time) it can be a real hassle.

Fourth, it is more common to have unfurnished apartment.

Fifth, As far as I know, Sam lives in UES then the meatparking district; Charlotte, UES; Carrie, UES; Miranda moves to Brooklyn townhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieduo View Post
Hi, my husband and I are coming over to New York early in 2009 to have a good look around. We have no children. And we have been looking at rental apartments in New York. I have been looking at Upper East Side and Upper West side. Only need one bedroom. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to differences in apartments - with doorman, "walk ups" - does this mean just you can get access from road easily - walk up?, studio or one bedroom. in Australia we usually have own furniture not furnished - so is it possible to rent one unfurnished? Love tree lined images from sex n the city movie - I think this is the upper east side or west side? Is this a nice area. Have seen apartments - studio and one bedroom on upper east side and west side around $2000 or $2500. Want to be near Central Park area. We were thinking of coming in mid 2009 also and staying for one month in short term rental in upper east side maybe so we could get a feel for living in new york, before making huge move and leaving our life behind in Australia.
Sorry to write so much - just dont know much and wanted to find out informed details from people who live there and know.
thank you for any info at all.
Is this a nice area of New York - Upper east side or west side? Appreciate any enlightenment on living there please.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:33 AM

Thank you so much for all this info. It sounds very promising. How does someone rent an apartment over in NY - in Australia we are on lease agreements for 6 months or maybe 12 months -that guarantees that rental amount for the period of lease agreement. 1. What does a person do to rent an apartment in NY? Do you require references? Do you pay 1st months rent and last months rent and a bond?
And regarding pets. I've seen alot of apartments that say allow pets - we will have a dog. So is this a common thing and allowed in NY -dogs in apartments - asking because they dont allow dogs in apartments in Australia as general rule. And we want our dog to come and live with us over there.
Thank you for any info.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 AM

Apartments are either advertised by owners or more commonly by agents. Agents usually charge a fee, usually one or two months rent, to locate an apt for you. Depending on the arrangement between you and the agents, the fee can be paid by landlord or more commonly by you as a renter. Also apartments can be either rent controlled or most likely priced at fair market value. If you can find a rent controled apt, you hit the jackpot. A friend of mine lives in UWS near central park and pays $870 for a spacious one bedroom apartment.

In manhattan, the rental agreement can be month by month, or 6 month, 12 month. It's really between you and your landlord or agents. Remember, anything is negotiable on this island.

References would be nice to have, but more importantly, show your income. Typically, your annual income has to be 48 times of your monthly rent. So if you want a $2500 apartment, be sure that you are making at least 120,000. we dont call it a bond; we call it a security deposit. If you have excellent credit history, then typically its one month rent as a security deposit, which is refundable at the end of your lease. Landlords do need to pay interest on that deposit.

Yes. some apartment do allow pets. I would say that many more apts allow cats than dogs, but many apts do allow dogs. You typically have to pay a pet deposit to have a dog, and your rent will likely to be slightly higher as well.

Finally, be aware that things move fast in manhattan, so be sure to have it done in a new york minute. be ready to write a check right after you see an apt that you like, because it will be gone in a matter of minutes. real estate agents typically will return your call within 2 business hours, unlike other cities in the US, where agents return your calls the next day.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all this info. It sounds very promising. How does someone rent an apartment over in NY - in Australia we are on lease agreements for 6 months or maybe 12 months -that guarantees that rental amount for the period of lease agreement. 1. What does a person do to rent an apartment in NY? Do you require references? Do you pay 1st months rent and last months rent and a bond?
And regarding pets. I've seen alot of apartments that say allow pets - we will have a dog. So is this a common thing and allowed in NY -dogs in apartments - asking because they dont allow dogs in apartments in Australia as general rule. And we want our dog to come and live with us over there.
Thank you for any info.

Last edited by lincolnparker; 01-06-2009 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 04:37 AM

Cant thank you enough for all this valued info. We appreciate your help and guidance through this unknown journey to relocate.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 AM

Hi I just noticed - rental listing in NY - asking about studio with "alcove" what exactly is this?
Thank you for any help.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 AM

alcove means that the studio has a somewhat separate sleeping area, so its between a studio and a one bedroom, but techically it is still a studio since there is no wall between the sleeping area and the rest of the studio.

it seems that you are really into tree lined streets. look into the village too. The village (Greenwich village and east village) tends to have tree lined streets as well. a lot of low rises. Residents tend to be young and from other parts of the US, looking for that authentic new york living experience. However, greenwich village properties do come at a premium, so much so that it trumps those of UES, which has the greatest concentration of wealth in the entire US. Especially the area around museum mile, many old money, the mayor, and celebrities call it home. Compared to the rest of manhattan, UES tends to be standoffish, quieter, and more conservative.

Quote:
Hi I just noticed - rental listing in NY - asking about studio with "alcove" what exactly is this?
Thank you for any help.

Last edited by lincolnparker; 01-06-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Are you planning to work here? Or just live? Because working is not possible on a tourist visa. Many people have the misimpression that there are open doors for any and all to come and live here and that's simply not the case. You have a three month tourist visa. After that you can be deported without the proper documentation.

Have you checked with the US consulate in either Sydney or Canberra? It's not easy to just 'move' to Australia, and it's likewise not simple to just 'move' to the US.

In order to work and live here legally you need the proper visa, not a tourist visa.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the info. Yes we have been communicating with the US consulate in Sydney over the last 9 months. We are not coming to NY on a tourist visa and working. We are coming over in March to get married in New York. Only a holiday for 16 days. Then we are coming back approx Sept/Oct to move - on correct permanent resident visa so we can work. We have immediate family, my father and mother who have lived in US for nearly ten years, but different part of country and they dont know NY at all. So thought we would ask people who actually live there and know what they are talking about. This has been planned for over a year, and we want this to be a happy and enjoyable transition, so we have followed the correct and legal channels. We did the same process when we lived in London 8 years ago, and worked and lived there for 2 years, but we have always loved NY and cant wait to come over soon for a good look around. We have started dealing with an agent/broker for an apartment, who is looking for the "type" of aparlment we want. Thanks again for all the info.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

24 posts, read 95,305 times
also, I know the OP talked about Carrie's "UES" apartment on Sex & the City w/ the tree lined streets - that apartment's exterior was actually filmed in the West Village, NOT the UES. Although the UES is leafy and tree-lined, that particular block featured on the show was in the Village.

And I would recommend the West Village to the OP for that reason, its very quaint and postcard-like on many of those quiet tree-lined blocks with all of the brownstones, townhouses and walk-ups.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City