Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM

124 posts, read 383,941 times

Advertisements

I guess what my question to the cops would be is "How do you know this is an alcoholic beverage? This may very well be a liter of soda. And I wish not to get my hands wet from the condensation on the outside of the bottle. Hence the brown paper bag. It is cold out you know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
I guess what my question to the cops would be is "How do you know this is an alcoholic beverage? This may very well be a liter of soda. And I wish not to get my hands wet from the condensation on the outside of the bottle. Hence the brown paper bag. It is cold out you know."
Hah, try this one and tell me how it goes! Bloomberg said in his recent State of the City speech that they're going to go even harder after "quality of life" offenses, so beware! I, too, wish I could occasionally sit on a park bench with a beer in hand, like in the 70s or 80s (back then, a mere quart bottle!), but the "broken windows" crowd and the revenue raisers won't go for it. Best to stay outta sight!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
Cop: Hey Musician, gimme a pull on that can, I'm thirsty too. Don't mind the condensation!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Cop: Hey Musician, gimme a pull on that can, I'm thirsty too. Don't mind the condensation!
"Hey cop, i dont want your minority beating lips on it!" hahaha. Probably be the first thing i would say.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglingmusician91 View Post
"hey cop, i dont want your minority beating lips on it!" hahaha. Probably be the first thing i would say.
lol.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Hah, try this one and tell me how it goes! Bloomberg said in his recent State of the City speech that they're going to go even harder after "quality of life" offenses, so beware! I, too, wish I could occasionally sit on a park bench with a beer in hand, like in the 70s or 80s (back then, a mere quart bottle!), but the "broken windows" crowd and the revenue raisers won't go for it. Best to stay outta sight!
Did he say that? Interesting, there was probably some public backlash from an article that came out about how the police are starting be less diligent when it comes to "quality of life" crimes.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:18 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
You drink a 40oz with paper bag and what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
I think there was a time that if it was in a brown paper bag they could not cite you because they would need a warrant to look into the bag. That has changed nowadays, as you can be cited for having an open container of alcohol regardless of what is covering it. I think that if you are on private property with a fence that is your own you cannot be cited but if is a multiple dwelling you can since it is not for your exclusive use.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:22 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
I like how the bodegas in East Harlem give you paper bags for your drinks, even non-alcoholic ones. I've gotten sodas in paper bags! And they usually give you a straw too, nice touch...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I recall one of those "Don't Do This" (Public Service) ads in a subway car. It concerned public drinking and stated that a paper bag would not make it permissable.

Still, I drank loads of kingers in paper bags over the years and was never cited. I always thought it was an unwritten rule or a gentleman's agreement between the Boys in Blue and those of us whe drink until we are blue.

Read Richard Price's "Clockers" as there is a funny sequence where a cop is moonlighting in a liquor store and the locals keep coming in an buying 1 can of beer in a paper bag at a time all evening. He finally asks why they do not buy a six pack and save some money. They look at him as if he is insane and tell him that the beers would get warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City