Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 19,574 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if this is a relatively safe area. I realize it's not the greatest of course. I will hopefully be living there soon, just found myself an apartment. Well if it helps I'm a 26 yr old female, appear to be white but I'm Hispanic. I would be arriving from work at midnight so that's mainly my concern. Any info would be great. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Of course, that area is pretty rough. To me, it is worse coming home at midnight during the warmer months as teenagers hang out in front of buildings or in the hallways and either blast music and/or cause trouble.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 AM

294 posts, read 839,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaly View Post
Hi, I was wondering if this is a relatively safe area. I realize it's not the greatest of course. I will hopefully be living there soon, just found myself an apartment. Well if it helps I'm a 26 yr old female, appear to be white but I'm Hispanic. I would be arriving from work at midnight so that's mainly my concern. Any info would be great. thanks in advance.

The area is OK. Alot of teenagers like to hang out but won't bother or harrass you. They are just being childish and have nothing better to do. Don't let that deter you from moving in. We need nice classy working people like yourself to move into the Bronx to help change the negative image its gotten for decades.

The neighborhood itself has gotten better due to the gentrification sparked by the new Yankee Stadium. I would definately stick around for a few years as it is an UP and COMING neighborhood that is slowly getting better. Give it a chance.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM

169 posts, read 418,979 times
Quote:
The neighborhood itself has gotten better due to the gentrification sparked by the new Yankee Stadium.
what are you talking about? First off, the stadium contributes nothing to new people or businesses moving in. You could argue that it decreased the quality of life by taking away park land. And there are no new businesses. Period. Certainly none that you would see associated with gentrification.

167 is my stop. cotb16 assessment was right, but if you've lived in the ghetto before i wouldn't worry about it. 167 is not the best strip, but you probably wont get robbed if you don't look like you have lots of money, which you probably do not if you are living there.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,054 times
I ride them all the time when I sub at schools like Taft and Wade, Bronx Writing and a few others. Never had a problem.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 AM

294 posts, read 839,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
what are you talking about? First off, the stadium contributes nothing to new people or businesses moving in. You could argue that it decreased the quality of life by taking away park land. And there are no new businesses. Period. Certainly none that you would see associated with gentrification.

167 is my stop. cotb16 assessment was right, but if you've lived in the ghetto before i wouldn't worry about it. 167 is not the best strip, but you probably wont get robbed if you don't look like you have lots of money, which you probably do not if you are living there.
You don't understand the definition of gentrification by your comment.

And I stand by what I said because the new stadium HAS sparked positive change in the neighborhood with massive infastructure developments, new coops and condos going up and being sold to folks that WILL NOT contribute to the decay of the community as the previous residents did. You may see very minimal change right now but I GUARANTEE you in a few more years, WATCH the positive change thats about to occur in that area and in the whole Bronx. The revenue alone that goes to the Bronx from the new stadium is enough to address many issues that Bronx has. Look at the big picture.

Oh yeah..once the old stadium is tore down, it is going to became NEW park land for kids to play. That was part of the deal.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 19,574 times
thanks for the info. I mean I understand it's not a great area and it's not like I plan to hang out there anyway, but as long as it's not highly likely that i'll be held at gunpoint when I'm coming home from work then it's all good. I can put on my mean face

Old 01-23-2009, 03:19 PM

169 posts, read 418,979 times
u'll be good. Speak spanish? U'll get mad props from the community if so.

Quote:
The revenue alone that goes to the Bronx from the new stadium is enough to address many issues that Bronx has.
What are you talking about? there will be fewer people able to come to new games, all the restaurants will be located inside of the venue, and they get tax breaks... all the revenue generated by the stadium goes straight to the owners of the Yankee's. If anything, there is less revenue going to back to the community for the reasons I just mentioned. And new condos? What new condos are you talking about? And most of the people who do live here today do care about the neighborhood a lot, in fact. Most people here are upstanding citizens, so I don't know what you mean by "continue the decay of the community." This is not a decaying community. A poor one, yes. But not decaying by any means. There are no decaying buildings in this neighborhood at all-all of them are being used. If they really cared about the neighborhood, they would do something about the school overcrowding, which sends a big message about how much this city values education, and that rubs off on the success of students, too.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Anyway, before this topic becomes another Yankee Stadium-type forum, the 167th St/Concourse area was once solidly Black/Puerto Rican back in the 1990s. Lately, many of the Blacks and Puerto Ricans are moving to the North and East Bronx as well as other places. Taking their place are Dominicans coming from Upper Manhattan and further west in the Bronx as well as Mexicans and those from West Africa.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
Anyway, before this topic becomes another Yankee Stadium-type forum, the 167th St/Concourse area was once solidly Black/Puerto Rican back in the 1990s. Lately, many of the Blacks and Puerto Ricans are moving to the North and East Bronx as well as other places. Taking their place are Dominicans coming from Upper Manhattan and further west in the Bronx as well as Mexicans and those from West Africa.
What would you say is the dominant group in the area nowadays? I seen alot of Dominicans on Jerome and west of it. Which is the case from 161st to Moshulo Pkwy. But around the Concourse is it still the same?

The area is bad. Those kids who you think do nothing are what we call stick up kids. They rob and rob and rob at knife point. I know a couple of people who got robbed by those same kids who do "nothing". Mod cut: racist remarks

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-23-2009 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City