Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times

Advertisements

Im just curious to know if Brooklyn is as cheap as some people say it is.
I was told that a 2 bedroom apartment went for 1200 or maybe even 3 bedroom not sure. I was shocked to hear that especially since I thought Brooklyn was real high.
I got questions tho. What industries are in Brooklyn or nearby Brooklyn?
Is Brooklyn poor and have to have a lot of education or be an entrepreneur to make a living there like some depressed cities? I heard some about Brooklyn but not enough.
Id think you have to work in Manhattan if you lived there tho.
Also, whats NYC/Brooklyn car insurance rates?
Probably dont even need a car but I gotta ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Brooklyn is large, and very diverse, economically. You have less expensive apartments that fall in the ranges quoted, some in decent neighborhoods that are about an hour to Manhattan, and then you have neighborhoods that are equal to costs in many prime areas of Manhattan. It does not fit one category of rental, since it's a mix of both new and old high rise, brownstones, single family, etc.

The Brooklyn rates should be on par with most of NYC, which are comparatively high, generally speaking, even for good drivers with private garages, Lo-Jack, and multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts. It's hard to quote a range, since there are so many variables in NYC which determine rate, so I'd comparison shop for the best mix of coverage and price for your situation.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Brooklyn car insurance rates are the highest in the city due to surcharges that are placed on it. I believe that there were or are a lot of insurance scams that was supposed to have taken place in Brooklyn which caused the surccharge to be more expensive then the other boroughs.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
The further away you live from a subway station, the cheaper it gets. It used to be the other way around. If you live anywhere along a train line like the "L" train, you'll pay higher rents, it gets cheaper as you move further from the train station.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
So, you can get a $1,200 apartment in Brooklyn, but it'd be an hour commute to Manhattan?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
So, you can get a $1,200 apartment in Brooklyn, but it'd be an hour commute to Manhattan?
Yes, for a decent area like Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst, Midwood, Ditmas Park, and some of the far out "beach" communities, it's about 45 minutes to an hour+ to Midtown via subway or express bus.

You can find closer-in apartments in Bedford-Stuvysant (Bed-Stuy) and Bushwick around $1200, but these are highly transitional neighborhoods that do still have their share of problems. If you're considering Bushwick, you're better off in Queens on the other side of the neighborhood in Ridgewood, as it has lower crime, being served by a different police precinct than Bushwick.

Proximity to transportation does drive the price up in Brooklyn and parts of Queens, so lower prices are slightly less convenient areas where you might have to take a bus to the subway, or walk a few blocks, or take the express bus. For some communities, however, it's worth it if you like Brooklyn, since there are some nice neighborhoods with great old fashioned NYC shops and people.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, for a decent area like Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst, Midwood, Ditmas Park, and some of the far out "beach" communities, it's about 45 minutes to an hour+ to Midtown via subway or express bus.

You can find closer-in apartments in Bedford-Stuvysant (Bed-Stuy) and Bushwick around $1200, but these are highly transitional neighborhoods that do still have their share of problems. If you're considering Bushwick, you're better off in Queens on the other side of the neighborhood in Ridgewood, as it has lower crime, being served by a different police precinct than Bushwick.

Proximity to transportation does drive the price up in Brooklyn and parts of Queens, so lower prices are slightly less convenient areas where you might have to take a bus to the subway, or walk a few blocks, or take the express bus. For some communities, however, it's worth it if you like Brooklyn, since there are some nice neighborhoods with great old fashioned NYC shops and people.
Amazingly accurate -as usual.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 AM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

Thanks...I think I could handle an hour commute. $1,200 isn't nearly as bad as I expected for being that close to NYC. It's not even twice what I'm paying for my apartment in Little Rock, and people in Little Rock tend to make a lot less than people in NYC.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times
I never been to Brooklyn but it seems pretty large considering.
Are jobs hard to get in Brooklyn and pretty much require Manhatten travel?
I heard NYC Transit could be problematic at times.
My shortlist of cities include Portland OR and Brooklyn right now but from the sounds of it, Portland seems like less hassle altho one of those cities where an entrepreneur makes it best there or someone with more money. Im sure some people in here have been to both but I been to Portland and transit there is quite a breeze I find but NYC transit I hear horror stories about.
Not crimewise but how they dont run as scheduled a lot of times. What are the downfalls to Brooklyn?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Im just curious to know if Brooklyn is as cheap as some people say it is.
I was told that a 2 bedroom apartment went for 1200 or maybe even 3 bedroom not sure. I was shocked to hear that especially since I thought Brooklyn was real high.
I got questions tho. What industries are in Brooklyn or nearby Brooklyn?
Is Brooklyn poor and have to have a lot of education or be an entrepreneur to make a living there like some depressed cities? I heard some about Brooklyn but not enough.
Id think you have to work in Manhattan if you lived there tho.
Also, whats NYC/Brooklyn car insurance rates?
Probably dont even need a car but I gotta ask.
It absolutely depends on what neighborhood you are interested in with regards to Brooklyn. Brooklyn is huge--with 2.5 million people. There are many, many diverse/expense/less expensive neighborhoods.

Williamsburg, Dumbo, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, downtown Brooklyn (for the most part), Greenpoint, and Prospect Heights will be the most expensive--with 2 bedrooms running an average of roughly $1800-$2400+ in these 'hoods. While one bedrooms run around $1500-$2000+ in these 'hoods.

The least expensive neighborhoods are probably East New York, Brownsville, and pockets of Bedford-Stuyvesant. One could find a 1 bedroom in these neighborhoods for around $700-$800 a month, maybe a tad less in these economic conditions. A 2 bedroom in these 'hoods will run around $1000 to $1500 or so, maybe more, maybe a bit less.

Brooklyn greatly varies, depending on proximity to subway, Manhattan, and local neighborhood makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City