Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 81,769 times

Advertisements

What I really don't understand is why the fares can't be raised/added on bridges rather than raising the MTA fare. The average mass transit user can't bear the burden of an increased cost as easily as a car driver can.

Plus, if you drive your car into the city every day, the amount of pollution you produce is much more than an MTA rider. You're spewing pollution into the air... you deserve to further subsidize those who make environmentally-minded choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 39,919 times
There are a few things i particularly like about the NYC Subway:

1. Cost. The first thing i do when i get to NYC is get my metrocard. What is it these days... $25 for 7 days? Even with the terrible current exchange rate that is still about £18. No other transport costs for the whole week. What a bargain!

2. The 24/7 operating hours. Many a night ive had to run out of pub in Central London to get my last tube - spoiling a good night. Not a problem in NYC

3. This may sound a little silly, but i like the fact that most of the subways are only just below ground level so the actual journey from the street to the train isnt too far. In many of the Central London tube stations the platforms are so deep and quite a distance from the tube entrance, so it can seemingly take an age to actually get on the train.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
There are a few things i particularly like about the NYC Subway:

1. Cost. The first thing i do when i get to NYC is get my metrocard. What is it these days... $25 for 7 days? Even with the terrible current exchange rate that is still about £18. No other transport costs for the whole week. What a bargain!

2. The 24/7 operating hours. Many a night ive had to run out of pub in Central London to get my last tube - spoiling a good night. Not a problem in NYC

3. This may sound a little silly, but i like the fact that most of the subways are only just below ground level so the actual journey from the street to the train isnt too far. In many of the Central London tube stations the platforms are so deep and quite a distance from the tube entrance, so it can seemingly take an age to actually get on the train.
It was always my experience as a conductor that people from out of town see the good things about our subways--and the New Yorkers are the ones who do the complaining. So...thanks for the perspective!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 21,494 times
the NYC transit system has come an EXTREMELY long way in the last 30 years. No other system in the world can say that.
This subway system has new cars with clear sign designations, up to date route maps BUILT into the cars, and clear announcements. They are also fairly clean, air conditioned, and very quiet. If you dont believe me .. go take a ride on the 2, 4, 5, L lines.

Why do I say it has come a long way? Well have any of you actually remember the subway in the 70's or 80's? I surely do. You use to get cars with lights out, route signs way off, cars where 1 door would open in the enitre car, filthy with grafitti, no air conditioning, and soo noisy that your ears would ring after riding. Half the time the train would get stuck at the station because the doors wouldnt close.

I would gladly pay 2.50 a ride for those improvements.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
I'd agree, but I wouldn't want to pay more for less, especially in an economy like this. If it was good and the raises were being used to improve service instead of fixing the financial mismanagement of the MTA, then that would be a different story.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Maybe we'll be luckier than we all deserve and John Liu will run for and win the Mayoralty in the coming election. Anyone who's followed his career as City Councilman from Flushing knows how he's been on MTA's case over their finances. (It would be quite amusing to see how MTA reacts to a Liu candidacy. I'm sure they'd throw a lot of money at whoever was running against him; they have very little use for the man. Which is, of course, an excellent reason to put him in Gracie Mansion).

Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Somehow I dont believe anyone when they say they would be willing to pay more for better service, or if "economic times were better." If economic times were better, the argument would be "the MTA is making lots of money, why should we pay more!"...or "we don't want to pay more, it's lousy service!"...there is always a reason/argument NOT to pay more...so I don't believe anyone saying they would be willing to pay more if this/that. Secondly, I do believe the MTA needs to clean up their act and streamline their gargantuan money pit/bureaucracy..but it will never happen.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
...there is always a reason/argument NOT to pay more...
That's certainly true! And another thing that virtually every New Yorker who uses mass transit overlooks (whether intentionally or not) is the fact that the system is based on a flat fare. Just imagine what kinds of screaming and yelling there would be if anyone suggested a zone system, like most other cities employ.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Maybe we'll be luckier than we all deserve and John Liu will run for and win the Mayoralty in the coming election. Anyone who's followed his career as City Councilman from Flushing knows how he's been on MTA's case over their finances. (It would be quite amusing to see how MTA reacts to a Liu candidacy. I'm sure they'd throw a lot of money at whoever was running against him; they have very little use for the man. Which is, of course, an excellent reason to put him in Gracie Mansion).
As a Queens resident and a follower of city politics, I really like John Liu. I doubt he'll run, but I wouldn't object if he ran for something else and won.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM

84 posts, read 321,131 times
I agree the system is efficient, but my wish list would include: A TOTAL subway FACELIFT!!!!!!!!!!! Direct Airport routes(to LGA, JFK and Newark trains are a freaking headache), East-West train routes, new turn styles making it easier for luggage and strollers (ATL-Marta has nice ones), Cleaner platforms-daily power wash would be nice.
The Metro in DC and Marta in ATL are good examples of a more esthetic subway experience. NY subway in my opinion has some catching up to do.
I'm not saying all at once, but a station at a time would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City