Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

I used to do 1.5 hours door to door each way.

I played Nintendo DS or PSP (if you like video games or even crosswords/soduko, etc) this is a life saver). Books. Ipod. Satellite Radio. Naps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
How late will you be coming home from school? The R train is a nightmare. If you can't stand it take the express bus. Enjoy Bay Ridge, it's a great place to live.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I have my mp3 player. I listen to the radio on it while i'm on the bus, then when i'm on the subway I listen to songs I downloaded. I'm usually half asleep during my commute, so I'm too tired to get bored lol.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have my mp3 player. I listen to the radio on it while i'm on the bus, then when i'm on the subway I listen to songs I downloaded. I'm usually half asleep during my commute, so I'm too tired to get bored lol.
i suggest a measurable amount of caution before falling asleep on the subway or bus as a means of dealing with a long commute.

i once did what rachael does and while half asleep noticed that the music stopped. i figured, oh the piano man must have stopped playing. woke up an hour later, the ipod was gone, my eyeglasses were missing, my brown bag with my old-fashioned donut and dinner mint was gone, and my uppers were sore. found out later that the thief was even trying to pry open my mouth to pull off any possible denture.

find another way to cope with the commute. best.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,558 times
Default you get used to it...

I've commuted for a long time. In the train, I would do "train meditation."
This is where you clear your mind of work/or school (for the younger) problems and try to picture what life is like for everyone else. I imagine being the mom, the homeless guy and the rat that I see scurrying around. I can do this for hours on end...

until I get sleepy & have someone try to pry my dentures out.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
i suggest a measurable amount of caution before falling asleep on the subway or bus as a means of dealing with a long commute.

i once did what rachael does and while half asleep noticed that the music stopped. i figured, oh the piano man must have stopped playing. woke up an hour later, the ipod was gone, my eyeglasses were missing, my brown bag with my old-fashioned donut and dinner mint was gone, and my uppers were sore. found out later that the thief was even trying to pry open my mouth to pull off any possible denture.

Wow that's crazy! You must be a deep sleeper, lol.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Thats a long commute...1 hour is the train ride or door-to-door? I live in Mott Have and the train ride to 53rd is about 30 minutes, and 10 minutes walk time..so 40 minutes door-to-door. Bayridge is a bad location for those working in midtown..the trains are usually clogged down there too..expect the ride to be longer. Yikes...you sure you don't want to move somewhere closer?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
You get used to it. I used to have a hour and a half commute and now a 1hr commute. It might seem a lot at first, but you actually (or at least I do) find the time useful. I usually listen to my music and read a book/paper/magazine. Once your in transit, an hr goes by pretty quickly.

One thing you will really enjoy if you haven't thought about it, taking the subway in the summer in NYC! Underground tunnels with no ventilation or air conditioning (trains have it though, assuming it isn't broken), packed with hundreds of people....welcome to NYC!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Nah, I'd never fall asleep with my mp3 player on. i meant half asleep as in I never close my eyes to sleep, but i'm in a daze since I'm not totally awake yet. I tend to try to stay away during my commute anyway. Half the time I have it off on the subway just in case. I always shut it off when I'm walking through the neighborhood (which isn't that good of an area) to my school. Don't worry, i'm smart about this stuff!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Every time you get on a train, just remind yourself what a taxi would cost, and you'll feel so good that you'll get to your station before you know it!
Yes, many New Yorkers have that same "give up and rationalize" attitude:

That 1 hour commute is too long? Well, at least it's not 3 hours!
That studio is too small? Think about how expensive a 3 bedroom is!
That Bloomberg is changing the laws to make himself dictator? Well, at least he's not Hitler!

To answer the OP's question, New Yorkers are able to deal with things because they are the kings of deluding themselves into happily getting screwed over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City