Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,100 times

Advertisements

Yes you can find an apartment for 1400 a month in park slope. It might be a studio but if you hunt you can get an apartment for under 1500 per month. Homes went down and rents went down. You just have to search. Its tough. If it was me and thats all I could afford I would move into areas like Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, and surrounding areas. I would rather have a great apartment and commute than live in a closet. But hey to each his own!!!

Manhattan is expensive so I dont think that would be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Yes you can find an apartment for 1400 a month in park slope. It might be a studio but if you hunt you can get an apartment for under 1500 per month. Homes went down and rents went down. You just have to search. Its tough. If it was me and thats all I could afford I would move into areas like Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, and surrounding areas. I would rather have a great apartment and commute than live in a closet. But hey to each his own!!!

i always thought upper manhattan was way cheaper than park slope, i have looked at places in park slope for fun, but not in the last year, so maybe they went down

Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
I think it is possible to find an apartment for that in Park Slope, but difficult. I hear that parking is actually really tough in the neighborhood, though.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 166,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post

Roxxy what surrounding areas have great 1 bedroom apartments that are not more than 30 mins train ride to the city?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Close to the historic district in Park Slope (that's the central part of the neighborhood, and far and away the most expensive), I think you'll find more affordable units in Prospect Heights, which is across Flatbush Avenue from Park Slope, and also within the Slope itself, but further down. (That is, down the slope, literally. The farther you go from Prospect Park West, the less expensive things will get, generally speaking. Your best bet is probably to look along the side streets between Fifth and Sixth Avenues).

From Park Slope to midtown Manhattan is a little less than 30 minutes on the F train, which has stations at 15 Street/Prospect Park and 4 Avenue/9 Street. From Prospect Heights it's even faster, with the B or Q trains at 7 & Flatbush Avenues.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM

50 posts, read 166,428 times
What is the commute from Staten Island to the city? Seems to have nice houses/apartments

Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Either the bus to Manhattan or taking the ferry (free) to the financial district or drive. There's no subway on Staten Island.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 306,097 times
I think Queens is your best bet. Lots of neighborhoods close to the city. Astoria is nice and lively. I live in Woodside and it usually takes me about 20 minutes to get into Manhattan by subway, and then I'm right in the heart of midtown. Also it's all pretty safe. I've never had any experiences with crime and I've lived in Queens for 9 years.
Maryland isn't very far. You should drive up if you have the chance and check out all the neighborhoods for yourself.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicycouture View Post
Hello nice people,
I've landed a good job in Manhattan. I'm in my 20's and looking to move to a decent neighborhood that is walking distance from the metro. Safety is everything to me. I have a car too, so looking for an apartment that has parking spaces. My price range is $1000 - $1400 - I want a 1 bedroom.

Any advice will really help.

Moving from Maryland.
I know I'm chiming in late on this topic, but look in Greenpoint or East Williamsburg--think the Graham Avenue (third "L" train stop) in Williamsburg. Those are your best bets, in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicycouture View Post
What is the commute from Staten Island to the city? Seems to have nice houses/apartments
Nightmare. And Staten Island is not for everyone. It's much more suburban, has a lot less to do and a lot of what's there is full of mostly lifelong locals who don't hang out much with newcomers. It would be very difficult to go out regularly in Manhattan if you had to get back to SI after midnight. At least $50+ for a cab and the only other way there is the ferry and then buses, each of which might run every 30 mins, if that, late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City