Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM

41 posts, read 95,936 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom, my kids will be in college in NYC in the Fall. I have a dog and a SUV. I've been away from my beloved city for seven years living in Charlotte, NC and I am finally coming back home. I'll be moving back in July so I'm trying to target the area I'm going to live in so I can spend a weekend there before I rent a place. I can spend up to $1700 per month for rent, wherever I live the commute to NYC or downtown Brooklyn should be direct (no bus to train). Shopping, fresh fruits/veggies/fish/spices should be easy to get to. The area should be safe enough for me to walk my dog at night and hopefully beautiful with some trees or a park nearby. Which area suits my needs Brooklyn, Queens or Westchester - and what neighborhoods would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,748 times
Default lots of places...

I'm sure there are many places that fit your criteria & budget. The only tough part will be finding an area that is close to a park (walking) and walking distance to a train.

In Queens: Forest Hills, Astoria, LIC are all close to decent parks & walkable distance to a NYC train. Bayside, Whitestone, Flushing are more difficult to commute to.

I'm less familiar with Brooklyn.

Westchester has many areas that may be of interest also.

Maybe try getting a train map and spiraling out from there & walking through the neighborhoods.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Westchester is not the easiest commute to Downtown Brooklyn, to Midtown, yes, but Brooklyn is going to require a train to subway commute. I agree that there are many neigborhoods that would fit the bill, but what size apartment are you seeking? For a 1BR, you could find that in many areas, but a 2BR (true 2BR, not JR4) might be more of a challenge.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM

1) What is your budget?
no more than 1700 per mont for rent - no roommate

2) Where is your job located?
Wall street area or Metrotech Brooklyn area

3) Living circumstances
44 year old single mom, kids in college in NYC, I have a dog and an SUV

4) Space requirements
2 bedrooms, approx 1000 sq feet
rental

5) Neighborhood amenities
Restaurants, carribean, asian, Thai, soul, Italian, pizza (just great food) not really into the bars - poetry lounges and places to hear music would be great
I'm a foodie and an organic baker - fresh fish, veggies, flowers, spices are really important in my neighborhood

6) Other interests/ General
Diversity, boutiques, trees in the neighborhood, a safe place to walk my dog at night

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
In terms of location, most of Brooklyn north and west of Prospect Park would fit almost all your criteria save for the space/rent combination. Prospect Heights could possibly fulfill all your requirements, but parts of Prospect Heights can be a little bit dicey (though not bad at all).

The closer you get to the waterfront in Brooklyn, the more of your interests, amenities, and commute-friendliness you'll find, but you'll probably have to sacrifice by having a higher rent or a smaller space requirement. If you're willing to do that somewhat (or if you get lucky in your search) Carroll Gardens could be a great choice.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks OyCrumbler. How much are 2br's in Caroll Gardens and how do I find them - Craigslist/Daily News? Is there a benefit to using a broker or is it a waste of money?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
You might also consider Riverdale in The Bronx, especially if you are going to work in the Wall St area as there is an express bus (coach bus), the BxM13, that goes directly from the neighborhood to the Finanacial District. It's much easier than taking the subway, since large swaths of Riverdale are off the subway line and the 1 train is a local. There are some good restaurants in the area, between Riverdale and Kingsbridge which is down the hill, along Broadway in the W230s, that cover just about any type of cuisine.

You should be able to find a 2BR in the area for your budget, and it's relatively easy to own a car/SUV in Riverdale. There are buildings that have garages, some have open lots, and there is street parking, though many streets do have the alternate side regulations. There are nice parks in the area, and you do have the option of the MetroNorth train to Grand Central, which takes less than half an hour and on weekends is only $3.25 for the city fare ticket.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOMINNC View Post
Thanks OyCrumbler. How much are 2br's in Caroll Gardens and how do I find them - Craigslist/Daily News? Is there a benefit to using a broker or is it a waste of money?
I know someone living in a two bedroom for a little less than 2000 month, but things might've changed. I guess craigslist is a good way to start, another is to go around the area to look for apartments available and inquire then. Brokers can be good or bad--depends on the broker. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City