Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM

289 posts, read 746,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
in the end, im not going to put up a fuss. the relayman dumped the truck and it had 2.18 tons on it. the midnight shift ended up stealing most of the route i had. it was a better day than doing 8 tons of m&g. my partner and i spent more of the day hiding than picking up anything. the shop stupids said they were not going to let that happen again, i will wait and see...
WORD TO THE WISE GET YOUR MONEY IT'S THE POINT OF THE ISSUE , .IF THEY GET AWAY WITH IT ONCE THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN,YOU ARE THINKING YOU HAD A GOOD DAY SO THE H-LL WITH IT ,DID YOU EVER THINK THE OTHER GUY HAD A BETTER DAY AND MADE FULL TRUCK MONEY ,GET WHAT IS YOUR'S.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:29 PM

121 posts, read 249,908 times
I hear you guys,believe me I understand. I just feel sometimes like you get screwed no matter what system is in place. I'm actually whining?! Sorry I will just go back to sucking it up and doing it. Protect yourselves and your partners. Protect the job.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM

200 posts, read 576,948 times
Its not a perfect world and we all get frustrated at times but the system does work. The key is to make the system work for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM

192 posts, read 401,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
Driver and Loader is unfair. As a driver you work for the garage,not a section. The whole idea of squatting in a section violates that concept. As a loader you are bound to work that section,with significant penalty if you voluntarily jump out of the section for a day. This could never,ever be an issue with straight seniority. You end up where your seniority puts you. Sure the supers clerks would have a hard time arranging the board for the next day. This wouldn't take long before it became routine,people ending up working it out. And you would likely end up working with someone you got along with too. The less desirable route doesn't seem as bad when you're working with someone you like. I know,I know,many have told me it wouldn't work,too much confusion about where people are working that day etc. Well maybe so. How about after a holiday when they beef up the nite shifts to catch up with the missed collection? That goes by straight seniority in many garages. And it seems to work. I don't see how I am confused. I do see how the driver/loader concept often causes more senior workers to end up on half trucks while a junior worker makes full truck. Like when a loader,who is senior to one in another section,has to man the half truck in his section. Straight seniority is the only fair way to go. Everyone ending up where your seniority puts you,period. No one can cry about junior workers being abused,because you end up where your seniority puts you. Its simple and fair. If enough workers complained something would happen. Otherwise,time to send a message when voting for union officials.
There are a lot of good ramifications from the system, in my opinion. I think a senior man being subject to truck cuts is a good thing. Keeps some of them in check. Plus you always have the ability to transfer. If your a driver who's regularly missing out on money a junior is getting as a section man you can transfer in and bounce him. Alas, many a driver stand back from that....they like to float. They do not want the commitment. That's a right loaders don't have...they are stuck. The right to transfer helps balance out things. If you look at the board usually it's pretty accurate as far as seniority = money.

Also if there are more then 4 trucks (I believe) going out on collection (nightplow, holidays) it is supposed to revert to driver loader rules....

Sancop knows a bit about how the Ro-Ro's went down. I feel it should be seniority and I think that now it basically is. Once the guys that held on to it from Brooklyn (before ro-ro's were disbanded) die off then it will be open to seniority. Outside of doing a year in a district and then being trained nothing is stopping soemone from going for the ro-ro's.....nothing except "seniority"....

How about legalizing holiday enhancements....that's something that should be worked on. If the city does not want to give us a raise next time around...unless we agree to a 11.5 contract, or some nonsense, then let the public decide if we deserve it.....

What garbage man in the universe DOESN'T get thanked?

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM

121 posts, read 249,908 times
Holiday enhancements? By that you mean Christmas envelopes? Would be sweet,but then you'd be expected to pay your taxes on that kind of income,no? Good points about the system. My biggest gripe is the squatters rights for drivers. I don't think a driver should be able to hold a spot in a section and be allowed to make that section while a senior driver that is also in said section gets bounced by the junior one! Gets me angry.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Default Unions' Health Deal Buys 3-Month Delay on Layoffs

The Municipal Labor Committee and the Bloomberg administration have reached a deal that will provide the city with $200 million in healthcare savings while also postponing the layoff of permanent civil servants for at least three months.

Full details of the agreement, is due to be announced June 2.

Sources outlined some of the key changes, however, saying that the savings would result primarily from new employee co-pays for certain procedures, as well as for senior care and emergency room visits.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM

156 posts, read 370,185 times
^^^ postponing layoffs for 3 months? that's it? why give back $200 million in healthcare savings if layoffs are potentially in the works anyway, even if it's delayed for a few months?

vantastic10- could you please post the link to that story

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
^^^ postponing layoffs for 3 months? that's it? why give back $200 million in healthcare savings if layoffs are potentially in the works anyway, even if it's delayed for a few months?

it was prob from the chief newspaper....u need to be a subscriber to view current articles

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCFrankC View Post
any guys on this thread that went from DSNY to FDNY?
What house are you in?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post

Yes,like Kuai said I got it from the Chief online,but that is all that it said.

Today from NYC.GOV. News from the Blue Room.

Harry said."This deal provides the city with the budgetary relief it needs with a minimum of disruption to our benefits. In addition, we achieved two important goals, which are additional money for our welfare funds and the suspension of layoffs of permanent workers for a period of time.”

Click the link below to read the entire press release.

NYC.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City